• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Email FCC Commissioners to preempt FL law

Oldies

Inactive
Inactive User
FLORIDA AMATEUR RADIO OPERATORS AT RISK
As of July 1, 2004 a new Florida statute (S. 877.27) makes it a 3rd degree felony to transmit without a license or cause radio interference to a licensed broadcast station in the State of Florida, with penalties ranging up to $100,000 fine and five years in prison.
This law is broad and vague and even could allow someone to use it to settle a grudge with a amateur radio or CB operator who might interfere with their radio or TV reception. Instead of calling the FCC to investigate interference complaints, someone now need only call the local police or sheriffs department. In a newspaper article, Ralph Barlow of the Tampa FCC office said that under this new law, local police and sherriffs departments can act without even having to contact the FCC. This fact was brought to the attention to the national organization that represents amateur radio (hams) radio operators, the American Radio Relay League (ARRL). On Feb 25, 2005, the ARRL filed at the FCC a Request for Declaratory Ruling seeking to have the FCC invoke federal preemption thus striking down the Florida radio law. The ten-page request points out that radio interference and regulation of radio waves is solely under the jurisdiction of the federal government (FCC) and this power cannot be used by the States. At present the FCC is just sitting on the Request for Declaratory Ruling, but if enough people contact the FCC asking that they act on te ARRL Request for Declaratory Ruling, then it is likely the FCC will invoke its federal preemption thus striking down the Florida law.
Contact the FCC Chairman and Commissioners and tell them to act on the ARRL Request for Declaratory Ruling (Filed 2/25/05) and strike down Florida Statute 877.27 - - - - - - -
Chairman Kevin J. Martin: [email protected]
Commissioner Kathleen Q. Abernathy: [email protected]
Commissioner Michael J. Copps: [email protected]
Commissioner Jonathan S. Adelstein: [email protected]
Here is an article from the American Radio Relay League (ARRL) website about this problem for Florida hams.

League Asks FCC to Void Florida RFI Statute
NEWINGTON, CT, Mar 1, 2005--The ARRL has asked the FCC to declare invalid a Florida law that prohibits anyone making radio transmissions without a license or Commission "exemption" from interfering with a licensed broadcast station. In a Request for Declaratory Ruling to the Commission February 25, the League maintains that only the FCC has authority to regulate radio stations and RFI. By prohibiting interference to broadcasters, the ARRL contends, the Florida law could have the apparently unintended consequence of affecting ham radio licensees as well as operators of certain unlicensed Part 15 devices, such as cordless telephones.
"What is clear is that no radio transmissions, licensed or not, are permitted if they result in interference to public or commercial radio stations licensed by the Commission," the League said. "Thus, it would appear that Commission-licensed Amateur Radio stations in Florida are subject to felony prosecution if their transmissions interfere with interference-susceptible broadcast or other radio receivers used in listening to public or commercial radio stations."
The law also could subject operators of Part 15 unlicensed intentional radiators that interfere with broadcast stations to felony criminal prosecution, the League said, adding that it "could be interpreted to prohibit operation of Part 15 devices entirely."
Citing case law and legal opinions dating as far back as the 1930s, the ARRL requested a declaratory ruling from the FCC that the Florida statute "exceeds the jurisdiction of the State of Florida and intrudes on the exclusive jurisdiction afforded the Commission by the Communications Act of 1934 as amended, to regulate radio stations and to address interference phenomena."
The Florida Legislature enacted the law, §877.27 of the Florida Criminal Statutes (under "Miscellaneous Crimes"), last year. It took effect July 1, 2004. Violations would be considered third-degree felonies in Florida.
The ARRL says it's not clear that Florida lawmakers intended the law to be as broad in its application as it reads, but that the new law--apparently aimed at unlicensed "pirate" broadcasters--"nonetheless on its face prohibits any person from causing interference" with an FCC-licensed broadcast station.
Although the Communications Act of 1934 does not specifically preempt state regulation of RFI matters, Congress clarified in 1982 that all telecommunications are interstate and subject to exclusive regulation by the FCC, the ARRL pointed out. It cited the Communications Amendments Act of 1982, Public Law 97-259 to support its stance.
"The legislative history of the Communications Amendments Act of 1982 demonstrates that Congress intended to completely preempt the regulation of RFI," and leave it solely in the hands of the FCC, the ARRL said. The League also noted that courts "likewise have refused to allow private lawsuits against commercial broadcasters to abate RFI problems."
In a 2003 case, Anne Arundel County, Maryland, the FCC "held clearly that all attempts by states and municipalities to regulate RFI are void as preempted by the supremacy clause of the Constitution," the ARRL said. The League's petition concludes that the Florida statute "is void as preempted by federal communications law."

Build up your defense fund at the ARRL.
FCC could care less.
FCC would rather see amateurs go away.

If the amateurs had kept quiet we would all have this wonderful broadband by powwerline service by now. And former Commissioner Power and current commissioner Abernathy could enjoy their retirement....

As a practical matter, the complainant in one of these cases could be identified through the discovery process. Further, most criminal actions would require some proof that the act is deliberate. Someone filing a complaint because they just don't like those ugly antennas would would get very far, or would get themselves sued if the matter every did get as far as an idctment. Though I doubt that any prosecutor would be so foolish.

Brutal.

What scares me is, you can simply call your local law enforcement and they will start the ball rolling. You have to remember, local law enforcement won't really understand or care, they just book you, process you, and it is your job to prove innocence. While you are innocent, it could rack up a lot of legal bills.<P ID="signature">______________

"Z"
Music Coordinator/Technical Support</P>

A NEEDED LAW - if for nothing more than the THREAT that is is on the books and COULD be used!

> Brutal.
>
> What scares me is, you can simply call your local law
> enforcement and they will start the ball rolling. You have
> to remember, local law enforcement won't really understand
> or care, they just book you, process you, and it is your job
> to prove innocence. While you are innocent, it could rack up
> a lot of legal bills.
>

I would have WELCOMED this kind of law a few weeks ago; I had some
uncooperative dope-smoking chump a few streets over who was messing
up Ten Meters *plus* the low-bands TV CHs (2-6)!

I even showed him the effects close-up on a battery-powered TV on
local TV CH 8 - he said, and I quote: "get cable".

Regards, _Jim

Re: A NEEDED LAW - if for nothing more than the THREAT that is is on the books and COULD be used!

RFI matters are solely the jurisdiction of the FCC, who are knowledgable and equipped to investigate them, when needed. The courts, including the US Supreme Court has upheld this exclusive FCC jurisdiction of RFI for many years. The ARRL, once again has done a wonderful job and now the FCC is reacting to thier Request for Declaratory Ruling, with action expected by this Fall. This Florida law making RFI a 3rd degree felony NEEDS TO BE FEDERALLY PREEMPTED (struck down). The States have no jurisdiction to be passing such RFI laws. I tried to tell the Florida legislators that before they passed it but they are enamoured with their own power and wouldn't listen.

On the BPL issue, don't even get me started. The interference being created by this insane idea is brutal and not just to hams. I cannot receive AM 1400 WFLL anymore due to BPL interference. It seems the big computer money (mostly Bill Gates) has pushed this thru the FCC, who are ignoring, to a large degree, the serious interference problems with BPL. Once again, another monied special interest wins in Washington, and the little guys (like us) will suffer the interference and like it or else Comrade!

Oldies Guy

> > Brutal.
> >
> > What scares me is, you can simply call your local law
> > enforcement and they will start the ball rolling. You have
>
> > to remember, local law enforcement won't really understand
>
> > or care, they just book you, process you, and it is your
> job
> > to prove innocence. While you are innocent, it could rack
> up
> > a lot of legal bills.
> >
>
> I would have WELCOMED this kind of law a few weeks ago; I
> had some
> uncooperative dope-smoking chump a few streets over who was
> messing
> up Ten Meters *plus* the low-bands TV CHs (2-6)!
>
> I even showed him the effects close-up on a battery-powered
> TV on
> local TV CH 8 - he said, and I quote: "get cable".
>
> Regards, _Jim
>

Re: A NEEDED LAW - if for nothing more than the THREAT that is is on the books and COULD be used!

Ah, but I would argue in the case of BPL that by causing destructive interference they have createed either an action in nuisance or trespass, that might supercede Federal preemption doctrines.

Of course, you as a listener would probably not have standing. But the AM station owner would.

A few lawsuits like that brought in the lower courts would quickly discourage the power companies from getting into BPL. Especially if they start looking at how exactly they are supposed to make money with these systems.

November 22, 2000: Congress amended Act to allow state/local governments to enact statutes prohibiting violations of FCC rules for CB - why not NOISE?

> RFI matters are solely the jurisdiction of the FCC, who are
> knowledgable and equipped to investigate them, when needed.

They are in a practical sense a) nonexistant and b) unable to
provide aid to the public when REAL neighborhood situations
arise. (Sorta like having to call Washington about barking
dogs; sure the field office personnel will sound sympathetic
BUT can they actually DO anything? No, they cannot. You will
get referred to the ARRL or at most a 'Riley' letter gets
mailed MONTHS later and after MUCH leg work, phone calls
and time spent on YOUR end for SOMEONE ELSE'S noise source.)

> The courts, including the US Supreme Court has upheld this
> exclusive FCC jurisdiction of RFI for many years. The ARRL,

The Congresss ALSO passed legislation for or five years back
ALLOWING CB radio laws to be enforced by STATE and LOCAL
governments; are you unawares of this precendent setting change?
If you want, I'll cite chapter and verse as it is written
in the law ...

> once again has done a wonderful job and now the FCC is
> reacting to thier Request for Declaratory Ruling, with
> action expected by this Fall. This Florida law making RFI a
> 3rd degree felony NEEDS TO BE FEDERALLY PREEMPTED (struck
> down). The States have no jurisdiction to be passing such
> RFI laws. I tried to tell the Florida legislators that
> before they passed it but they are enamoured with their own
> power and wouldn't listen.

I don't see why a virtually non-existant federal agency can't
be supplemented or augmented given the proper endorsement (AS
was down in the case of CB radio laws) especially when REAL
situations exist where local/state law COULD provide remedy
for an offender in short order such that MONTHS of enduring an
offending noise source would be the excpetion rather than
is the NORM now.

>
> On the BPL issue, don't even get me started. The
> interference being created by this insane idea is brutal and

Agreed.

Look to the new broadband fiber to render this moot; Verizon did
a test 'push' of fiber through one of our neighborhoods and the
base rate package for 5 Mbps downstream and 2 Mbps upstream is
pricing out to be $34.95 a month w/calling package or $39.95 a
month by itself. SBC is now hawking DSL at 14.95 a month here ...

> not just to hams. I cannot receive AM 1400 WFLL anymore due
> to BPL interference. It seems the big computer money (mostly
> Bill Gates) has pushed this thru the FCC, who are ignoring,

Bill Gates?

You haven't done your homework.

Do a search for "William Luke Stewart".

Here, let me help you Search for William Luke Stewart

Of particular note:

"BPL and other tall tales spun by Willian Luke Stewart"

and also:

Wired 9.11: The Electric Kool-Aid Bandwidth Test

Regards, _Jim

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom