• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

El Gallo resurrected on AM

WNMB El Gallo Spanish programming on the Grand Strand has been operating FM translators on 103.5 and 102.3 for nearly a year, while the nominal 900 AM frequency has been silent or inaudible.

This morning 900 surprised a bandscan, coming in loud and clear, sounding great! I am about three miles from the North Myrtle Beach transmitter site, curious if anyone else nearby is hearing El Gallo on 900. Not sure why this makes me so delighted.. must be the sun.

Looking at Google Earth, the "old" WNMB site is devoid of towers as far back as 2015.
In fact there's a self storage place where one of the towers was.

1714756575991.jpeg

WNMB filed a Silent STA on January 6, 2016 stating that they had lost the lease to their transmitter site. (I recall their C-QUAM equipment ending up on eBay shortly thereafter.) They've been alternating between being silent and operating with a temporary longwire antenna ever since then, with a CP to diplex 250 watts on an existing AM tower.

Last edited:
WNMB filed a Silent STA on January 6, 2016 stating that they had lost the lease to their transmitter site. (I recall their C-QUAM equipment ending up on eBay shortly thereafter.) They've been alternating between being silent and operating with a temporary longwire antenna ever since then, with a CP to diplex 250 watts on an existing AM tower.
WMIR's tower is said to be in that photo. Is that an actual tower?

Also, didn't WEZV and WNMB share a tower at one point? Where is WEZV's tower?

I believe the WNMB tower is off Water Tower Rd, near a new Pepsi distribution center, and a new UPS center (and soon to be a new Amazon distribution center.)

I'll try to remember in September or October when I usually go.
I'm just curious how far the signal actually goes. I'm so close and of course today it booms in (great sound too) , but their 'temporary' homebrew was barely audible on a sensitive shortwave am fm set it it was properly rotated.. about two days a week.

Persistence paid off.

I'm just curious how far the signal actually goes. I'm so close and of course today it booms in (great sound too) , but their 'temporary' homebrew was barely audible on a sensitive shortwave am fm set it it was properly rotated.. about two days a week.

Persistence paid off.
I didn't think I'll be able to help with that. I remembered to listen in Conway one year but that was many years ago.

Back
Top Bottom