• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

EAS changes

S

SamBuca

Did you guys get a chance to check out the EAS RFC earlier this month?

http://hraunfoss.fcc.gov/edocs_public/attachmatch/FCC-05-191A1.pdf

I was thinking about that a few weeks ago...I'd really like my XM to carry the national alerts. I'd also like the XM unit to have the ability to program in the FIPS code so that it can pick up local alerts, but my radio would only respond to stuff in my area (like it could monitor an EAS channel in the background and a single channel could be propogating state/local alerts constantly). I don't think putting in the FIPS code is a big deal since most are installed by professional installers or came with the car...the installer or dealer could easily put in the proper FIPS codes for the area in which they're located.<P ID="signature">______________
</P>

And if you travel a lot, which FIPS code do you put in?

This rule change is the satellite boys playing Bre'r Rabbit, pleading with the FCC not to throw them into the briar patch & require local EAS notification.

In many cities, much of the XM listeing and probably a fair share of the Sirius sbscribers are really listening to terrestrial repeaters. (Which are often installed at cell sites, but are not listed int he FCC database anywhere). NAB did some tests and estimated around 80% in the DC area.

While the present equipment cannot do local broadcasts, the satellite folks would dearly like the ability to run local programing in the major markets. XM has local traffic reports on one channel but it's local information available nationwide. Watch for a push to be able to carry separate local traffic and EAS messages, perhaps by using frequeqincies just outside the satellite passband (XM wants to buy some spectrum from a wireless provider that could be used for such purposes) or even by chaning the configuration of the terrestrial repeaters. Then the next step is full local programming.

> Then the next step is full
> local programming.

Wouldn't that also require an FCC rule change? I though the NAB got it written into the rules that XM & Sirius couldn't do local broadcasting because it would hurt local, over the air stations.

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> > Then the next step is full
> > local programming.
>
> Wouldn't that also require an FCC rule change? I though the
> NAB got it written into the rules that XM & Sirius couldn't
> do local broadcasting because it would hurt local, over the
> air stations.

Yes, but that rule change would be driven by the EAS coverage.

FCC/Congress doesn't care about local, over the air stations.

Think about it. Satellite radio is the ultimate government controlled radio.
1. Only two owners.
2. Only two main studios.
3. Push one button and the Guv'mint can speak to the entire country.

Something like those European radios with a five position switch, no need for a tuning knob since there is nothing else you are allowed to hear.

> FCC/Congress doesn't care about local, over the air
> stations.

Until the NAB, Clear Channel, etc. threaten to cut off their campaign contributions, then mysteriously whatever the NAB, CC, etc. wants happens.

-A<P ID="signature">______________

</P>

> > FCC/Congress doesn't care about local, over the air
> > stations.
>
> Until the NAB, Clear Channel, etc. threaten to cut off their
> campaign contributions, then mysteriously whatever the NAB,
> CC, etc. wants happens.
>
> -A
>
Anyone can start a satellite radio company. However, it would be too expensive to do so.
<P ID="signature">______________
17-year-old radio geek
AIM: KewlDude471
WWPH 107.9 FM: http://wwph1079fm.no-ip.org</P>

> Anyone can start a satellite radio company. However, it
> would be too expensive to do so.
>
Yes, it would be too expensive to do so, no, there is probably no room for a new DAB service such as XM or Sirius, which requires authorization by the FCC.

If you are talking about a satellite delivered programing service, anyone can start such a service simply by renting a carrier from existing satellite programming providers such as NPR, or ABC. It's not cheap, but not really that expensive either, some scpc carriers are available for as little as 1k a month (you have to provide your own uplink equipment, or get your audio to the uplinkby other means). Of course, this only gets your audio into some other form of media, such as the local radio station, for rebroadcast.

Why can't the codes change as you move? Same goes for local programming/traffic/weather on sat. radio. You can use some sort of GPS technology to pinpoint the location of the radio.

> > Anyone can start a satellite radio company. However, it
> > would be too expensive to do so.
> >
> Yes, it would be too expensive to do so, no, there is
> probably no room for a new DAB service such as XM or Sirius,
> which requires authorization by the FCC.
>
> If you are talking about a satellite delivered programing
> service, anyone can start such a service simply by renting a
> carrier from existing satellite programming providers such
> as NPR, or ABC. It's not cheap, but not really that
> expensive either, some scpc carriers are available for as
> little as 1k a month (you have to provide your own uplink
> equipment, or get your audio to the uplinkby other means).
> Of course, this only gets your audio into some other form of
> media, such as the local radio station, for rebroadcast.
>

I, for one, would LOVE to see the sat guys able to carry at least the national EAS messages. As messy of a system as the local EAS system is, I'd say you'd have a much better chance of actually hearing the message there if it was ever used. The design of the entire EAS system needs to be revamped to improve reliablity, especially from the national level. The boxes themselves and the signaling aren't as much an issue as the delivery path currently being used. I dare the Feds to issue an E.A.T. sometime and just see how many stations DON'T get it. Typical of the federal government, they are picking the individual operators to death about EAS, and not even EVER testing the entire system to show the overall faults of a ill-conceived plan that they only have themselves to blame for the failure thereof. Using terrestrial phone lines, AM stations that have marginal coverage in many areas that are part of their plan area, and State EOCs that go home at 4:30 and wouldn't be able to find their asses with a search warrant even if they were there spell no message. It's as simple as that.

Bring on EAS on XM and Sirius radio. At least I'll get the message.

<P ID="signature">______________
--- THE Insultant ---</P>

> Why can't the codes change as you move? Same goes for local
> programming/traffic/weather on sat. radio. You can use some
> sort of GPS technology to pinpoint the location of the
> radio.
>

Since the radio has no means of transmitting its location back to the mothership, it would require a satellite EAS system where ALL info for ALL parts of the country are all transmitted to every satradio receiver out there. Then each satradio could do some kind of position check and decide for itself whether to ignore the alert or to play it through the speakers/visual display.

Even for the admittedly bandwidth-thrifty EAS codes, that's still an awful lot of bandwidth to make sure you can transmit reasonably local codes for the entire USA. That's thousands and thousands of counties in all 50 states. I imagine it would end up hogging at least one, possibly more, audio channels' worth of bandwidth and that starts getting way outside the realm of cost effectiveness for XM or Sirius.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom