• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

E-skip in Wellfleet, Massachusetts

On Monday I caught some great E-skip while driving to the....(isn't this ironic?)....Marconi Station Site in Wellfleet, MA on Cape Cod. I was actually driving there just before sunset time hoping to catch some tropo, and as I started getting closer to the site, noticed some interesting things on the FM dial. Here's what I caught on my way to and at the Marconi Site.

103.3 KLOU, St. Louis, MO
100.5 WLUE, Louie FM, Louisville, KY
100.9 KCLY, The Lynx, Clay Center, KS, with Kansas City Royals baseball.
98.7 WJKK, Mix 98.7, Jackson, MS, this faded out and then 98.7 KFH, Wichita, KS, with Royals baseball, came in briefly.
103.5 WRBO, Soul Classics 103.5, Memphis, TN
98.9 WKIM, Kim FM, Memphis, TN
94.9 KHLR, Hallelujah FM, Little Rock, AR

I also have a question. When I receive E-skip, is it possible that the listeners in these areas are receiving some local stations in my area, or does it usually only work one way?

I rarely hear of reciprocal e-skip. For example, earlier this week, while southern New England was getting e-skip from my area (SC) and south, I was getting e-skip from the midwest and center of the US. All depends on the conditions.

E-skip is reciprocal, although if there are multiple e-skip clouds, the 100,000 watt station always wins. A few years back, someone in Arkansas got one of my local stations on e-skip, and I got their local stations on e-skip, at the same time.

I got some good e-skip today from NJ to Missouri, Oklahoma, Nebraska, and more.
It's supposed to be 102 degrees tomorrow somewhere in Oklahoma according to a weather report I heard.

I always enjoyed getting calls in the studio when someone was catching my show via e-skip or trop. The most memorable one was a gentleman who called me from Virginia Beach when I did afternoons at WCIB (Cool 102) on Cape Cod. Had a great conversation and sent him a bunch of station gear.

The door always swings both ways. But, there's more than that... often the cloud works 360 degrees.

In that opening, while you were hearing my part of the country, we were, indeed, hearing your neighborhood. Illinois was hearing the Carolinas, etc.

DE

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom