• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DXing Gear

Right before I start, Bith of my brothers don't like me having Radios

One got me a Smartphone for this reason, Both don't understand my hobby, My other brother always complane I have too much Radio

That's why I only get small Radio, But not good ffor DXing like the Big Boys...

I have

Kaito KA321
Sangean DT-400W/200X
Sony ICP-P10
Panasonic R-P30
XHDATA D-219

I DX on FM on my Sangean DT-200X

Is there any Radio like the size of the XHDATA D-219 under $40?

No help here?

I just wanna know about Pocket DXing Radios, So I can look on ebay

Did I end up wording it wrong & confused people here, I'm getting the XHDATA D-109

No help here?

I just wanna know about Pocket DXing Radios, So I can look on ebay
I've been sold on my latest addition, the C Crane Skywave. Those go for a little more than double your $40 price point on Amazon and/or the C Crane site. But you could always keep your eye out for a used or refurbished model. The Skywave also has weather band and shortwave. Performs really well on Weather Band and fairly well on SW. Ebay of course is always a good place to look for bargains.

Don't overlook yard sales, rummage sales or Church Bazaars. I picked my GE Superadio2 for A DOLLAR at a Church bazaar. That was around ten years ago, The radio is still performing perfectly....and is now 40 years old! I'm not a rgular at yard sales, bazaars, etc. But down through the years I've still managed to pick up computer keyboards, DVRs, audio components, and all manner of stuff at these.

Hope this helps. Hang in there, be patient, keep after it, and HAPPY HUNTING!

HanRongDa HRD-900 has excellent FM reception and very good shortwave and AM. The 18650 battery can be charged with USB, solar or hand crank. A full charge can last for weeks, especially since I put it in the window to charge when not in use. I paid $19 for it on AliExpress 2 years ago and is a bit cheaper now.

The Insignia NS-HD01 is even smaller and has RDS/HD Radio, which is nice for DXing, although it's FM only and has been discontinued for years. There's no speaker, so you have to use headphones.

I bought an Eton Elite Traveler a couple of years ago and have been happy with it. Good overall performance on AM and FM, and good ergonomics. It's a little larger than the DT-200X, which I also have. It has shortwave also but I haven't really used that. Good travel radio. It's on sale on Amazon now for $60.

Just waiting for other people to chime in @cyberdad
I'm guessing eBay is going to be your best shot at finding something good for $40 or under. The only decent radio that I've ever found new at that price that's also ultra small is my Sony SRF 37 Walkman. Pretty good on AM, not so much on FM. My unit is close to 20 years old. Long since discontinued, but you still might manage to find one online.

The Insignia NS-HD01 is even smaller and has RDS/HD Radio, which is nice for DXing, although it's FM only and has been discontinued for years. There's no speaker, so you have to use headphones.
I got mine about 15 years ago, and the built-in battery, which is not replaceable, is not holding a charge for very long.

Don't overlook yard sales, rummage sales or Church Bazaars. I picked my GE Superadio2 for A DOLLAR at a Church bazaar. That was around ten years ago, The radio is still performing perfectly....and is now 40 years old! I'm not a rgular at yard sales, bazaars, etc. But down through the years I've still managed to pick up computer keyboards, DVRs, audio components, and all manner of stuff at these.
The Superadios are amazing on AM - at least the original one and the Superadio 2. The Superadio 3 is a more difficult matter, but I would advise against getting one with the "RCA" brand and look for a "GE" one that was made in the early 1990s if you want to go in that direction. At least it has two bandwidths; the earlier ones are fixed.

I bought both of my earlier-model Superadios on eBay - the 2 can't run on AC power but works just fine on batteries.

This afternoon, my Superadio 2 pulled in KYOS from Merced (at 1480). No other radio that I have can get that.

Sorry I missed this thread and didn't reply earlier.

I came real close to getting the XHDATA D-109 but cancelled my order when I realized I didn't like the fact that it uses a lithium battery instead of regular batteries.

I was also going to need a charger too and those batteries don't hold a charge nearly as long.

One advantage, though, of the XHDATA D-109 is that it covers the entire shortwave band to the very top which also includes the CB radio frequencies which get interesting during E skip and can get that skip well outside the usual months of May through July.

But I'm still glad I got the C Craine Skywave instead.

It has amazing shortwave reception for it's size and is such a solid little radio that I just admire it holding it in my hand.

@MarioMania
As I keep telling normal people amd borderline DXers : 'You never forget your first'.
A GE clock-radio was the first DX rig here. The same gosh-darned thing (same colour) sat atop the Cunningham refrigerator on a few Happy Days episodes.
A console Zenith AM / Phonograph that my Folks put in the basement became the mid-60's DX beat. Many embezzled high school Monday Morning hours were spent in captivation before its 7-inch speaker, along with early development of spine curvature.
The 70's ear to the AM world was a Lafayette HA 600a, called at the time the best 'bargain' AM DX radio ($109 new). Nice selectivity. I made a new dial for it after a while, for some off-ramp short wave DX.
A barbershop Zenith (like the ones on the shelf next to Trol and Vitalis bottles) and a GE Superadio 2 got me by for a rewarding while through the 90's.
Today it's mainly the GE SR2, even though a Hammarlund HQ-180 is safe to plug in during nighttime thunderstorms.
Antenna for decades has always been the National Radio Club's 4-foot loop aerial.
I hope this all fills in some spots for your question (whatever it was).

Sorry I missed this thread and didn't reply earlier.

I came real close to getting the XHDATA D-109 but cancelled my order when I realized I didn't like the fact that it uses a lithium battery instead of regular batteries.

I was also going to need a charger too and those batteries don't hold a charge nearly as long.

One advantage, though, of the XHDATA D-109 is that it covers the entire shortwave band to the very top which also includes the CB radio frequencies which get interesting during E skip and can get that skip well outside the usual months of May through July.

But I'm still glad I got the C Craine Skywave instead.

It has amazing shortwave reception for it's size and is such a solid little radio that I just admire it holding it in my hand.
I had trouble with the D109. Every time the battery died, I would recharge it fully but it still wouldn’t operate until I pressed the reset button using a tiny pin that was able to fit in the reset button hole. I have *never* had that problem with *any* other radio

I had trouble with the D109. Every time the battery died, I would recharge it fully but it still wouldn’t operate until I pressed the reset button using a tiny pin that was able to fit in the reset button hole. I have *never* had that problem with *any* other radio
The solution there would be don't let the battery die. Charge it when it gets to one bar (or whatever the meter on the D109 shows when the battery is low but not dead). My Grundig G2 gets wiggy when the battery gets to zero bars (i.e., close to needing a recharge). It works off a lithium battery. I charge it sooner now.

The solution there would be don't let the battery die. Charge it when it gets to one bar (or whatever the meter on the D109 shows when the battery is low but not dead). My Grundig G2 gets wiggy when the battery gets to zero bars (i.e., close to needing a recharge). It works off a lithium battery. I charge it sooner now.
I mine

I tried that and still had the issue. Defective maybe?

I tried that and still had the issue. Defective maybe?
Because a lot of DXers haven't had issues with their D109's, I'd try a different battery first. If that does the same exact thing, it's possible that the radio is defective. If you're using the radio to charge the battery, I'd consider getting a separate charger (not sure if the D109 charges batteries or not).

It sounds to me like the radio itself actually works. The issue is either the battery, or the radio's charging system isn't cutting it. Not all batteries are the same. I've bought dud heavy duties and dud alkalines before. Rare, but it happens.

Back
Top Bottom