• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DX Alert: WBBM 780 IBOC off at the moment

That's pretty sad not to hear a more distant station 20 kHz from the closer one with the iBLOCK on. WBBM must be doing some maintenance to the jammer.

How pathetic is AM IBOC if the only way that it is noticed is when it is off - and by people that are happy that it's off.

And, I'm very happy when it's off on WLS because not only does it not pollute reception around 890 - but the audio becomes clean and crisp. When it's on, the audio is muddy with hiss in the background. Honestly, it sounds like someone's warming up a jet engine in the distance behind whoever's talking.

BRNout said:
And, I'm very happy when it's off on WLS because not only does it not pollute reception around 890 - but the audio becomes clean and crisp. When it's on, the audio is muddy with hiss in the background. Honestly, it sounds like someone's warming up a jet engine in the distance behind whoever's talking.

An expen$ive white noise generator!

BRNout said:

I remember that's how I felt the first time I heard IBOC on my hometown's big radio station, WTVN. It was sad to hear a station with full, crisp, rich audio that could be heard throughout practically all of Ohio muddied with the digital hiss. I believe it was on WLW before that, but having grown up 100 miles from Cincinnati I was used to getting a little static on 700.

I got the some of the Chicago clears, 780,890, 1000 from Poland Spring ME (about 1000 mi E of Chi) the last few nites but 700 Cinci seemed to have had the IBOC.

vibe said:
I got the some of the Chicago clears, 780,890, 1000 from Poland Spring ME (about 1000 mi E of Chi) the last few nites but 700 Cinci seemed to have had the IBOC.

Can you hear 670 Chicago there?

Radioman-answer is "no." Very strong 660 WFAN from 300 mi or so and very strong 680 WRKO Bosdton from about 130-140 air miles.
Didn't get WGN 720 as well.

I know that, from New Hampshire, WGN would fight with CHTN Charlottetown, PEI and CHTN usually dominated. Now, it's WOR's sloppy IBOC seconds that cause issues with 720 on most nights. On 780, CFDR Halifax fights it out with WBBM in NH. I've picked up WSCR around Nashua, NH - even as recently as a couple of weeks ago - sandwiched in between WRKO and WFAN. That's generally only if WFAN's hashmaker is off. If it's on, it's tougher to pull WSCR out of the mush. WMVP used to come in the best of the bunch in New England, but it's now victimized by WINS and their HD jammer.

See the pattern here?

I did get WLS surprisingly well during my recent trip back to NH, though they are quite variable in New England.

Thanks for the northeast rundown guys.
I would think WMVP would be easier to hear because they send more signal east, but you never know.

On my business trips to New England, WMVP is usually the strongest Chicagoan. For whatever that's worth.

cyberdad said:
On my business trips to New England, WMVP is usually the strongest Chicagoan. For whatever that's worth.

All true - but the IBOC monkey beats it up now. Yes, it was always the strongest Chicago signal back there, but if you're in southern or central New England, downstate NY, New Jersey or eastern PA, the sidebands from WINS (1010) interfere with your reception of WMVP. Farther west and northwest, I do not think it's such an issue because WINS is directional.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom