• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DTV foibles

I have been watching DTV OTA for the last few months. Lately, since the trees have sprouted leaves, I have noticed a reduction in signal strength via my field strength meter. This is especially apparent on sunny days.

Are the leaves to blame? I am using a std outdoor antenna that is about 4 years old.

Probably more likely the warmer weather that caused the leaves to sprout than the leaves themselves.

Too bad they didn't plan for some of the lack of coverage issues better when deciding final power levels for DTV. It seems to me that there should be a optional power increase for DTV post-conversion. The current levels leave a lot to be desired for real broadcast signal blanketing of a service area. At even half the power of the former analog signal, I don't think we'd even be having any discussion of signal issues compared to the former modulation scheme.

b344077 said:
Are the leaves to blame? I am using a std outdoor antenna that is about 4 years old.

The age of your antenna should not have much effect unless the contacts are corroded. I am using a combo VHF/UHF/FM outdoor that I bought in 1988 and it works perfectly - even though it has to shoot through two huge pine trees and my neighbor's roof. Obviously, the distance from the transmitter and the size and type of leaves matter.

OKCRadioGuy said:
Too bad they didn't plan for some of the lack of coverage issues better when deciding final power levels for DTV. It seems to me that there should be a optional power increase for DTV post-conversion. The current levels leave a lot to be desired for real broadcast signal blanketing of a service area. At even half the power of the former analog signal, I don't think we'd even be having any discussion of signal issues compared to the former modulation scheme.
[/quote]B I N G O. There are many areas where people have been content to watch snowy analog for decades...they had no other free OTA choice. These people are screwed. Congress will get an ear full once June 12 gets here. Totally agree...the goal here should be to serve MORE viewers, not fewer. Another gross display of stupidity by our government.

Foliage has always demonstrated good RF absorbing ability, especially for UHF-TV.With the fragility of the 8-VSB modulation used..........well the complaints SHOULD drop off {along with the leaves.} by October. <VBG>

RJ

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom