• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dream scenario for Miller fans...

Re: Oh an Air America lefty,figures...

> If Air America is dying, as most observers seem to think it
> is, it's because of a bad product. Put something truly
> entertaining on the air, and it will succeed, whatever the
> political slant.
> If Air America can't even get the attention of 49% of those
> who voted in the last election, why should anyone care if
> Franken & Co. go belly-up?

Exactly! Maybe most listeners on the Left are either listening to Rush
or Hannity (I do hear liberals call in to both), or "This is N.P.R.
National PUBLIC Radio."<P ID="signature">______________
raccoonradio5ap.gif
</P>

> > If Air America is dying, as most observers seem to think
> it
> > is, it's because of a bad product. Put something truly
> > entertaining on the air, and it will succeed, whatever the
>
> > political slant.
> > If Air America can't even get the attention of 49% of
> those
> > who voted in the last election, why should anyone care if
> > Franken & Co. go belly-up?
>
> Exactly! Maybe most listeners on the Left are either
> listening to Rush
> or Hannity (I do hear liberals call in to both), or "This is
> N.P.R.
> National PUBLIC Radio."
>

I think that part of it might be the nature of the listeners from each side of the political spectrum.

NPR, called by some a "Liberal Service", is actually pretty balanced. They generally have a representative from both sides on every issue piece. But it is a good thing that they are on public radio to a smaller, more savvy audience, because as a mass-service, articulate presentations which show both sides don't have enough fireworks to create ratings. The mass audience wants eveything to be a simple blood sport, so--commercially--it is better to just have a "pit bull" on the air throwing stones, with easily defined "good guys" and "bad guys".

The model seems more natural to the right wing, which some say is based on exclusion. When the Liberals--who are always trying be inclusive of everybody and everything (to the point of being ridiculous sometimes)-- try a "blood sport" approach on AM talk radio, it does not come off.

I know many "Liberals" who may agree with Randy Rhodes, for example, but can't stand the presentation (yelling, sweeping generalities, demonizing, etc). For some reason (I don't know why) the right wing is less hung up on such things when it comes to AM talk radio, as evidenced by the ratings of Rush and Hannity, who demonize Liberals literally every minute of their shows.

That is really the only explaination that I can give you. The dominance of conservative (is Bush really a conservative, by the way?) talk radio does not match the political fabric of the nation, which is about 50-50.<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by HHH on 03/06/06 06:43 PM.</FONT></P>

> But I thought Air America took over distribution of Jones
> somehow, or started working with them..? Could be wrong but
> I thought I read that.

I think, but I don't know for sure, that Thom Hartmann is the tie-in between Air America and Jones. As I understand it (maybe incorrectly), Hartmann works for AAR but his show is syndicated by Jones and not by AAR. Hartmann's show originates at the AAR affiliate in Portland OR. That station, KPOJ, is on 620 and is owned by Clear Channel. Most of the stations that carry Hartmann's show are on the West Coast (Seattle, Portland, San Francisco, Sacramento, San Diego), although I think a few stations further east also carry it. Hartmann is heard in Boston only on weekends (best of) and when he fills in for one of the regular AAR hosts.

If I'm not mistaken (and I could be), Hartmann airs live from 6:00 AM to 9:00 AM PST. That would put him opposite both Stephanie Miller and Jerry Springer. He is far better than either one--good voice, pleasant manner, not overly exciteable yet still passionate, handles callers courteously--usually giving them enough time to make their point, and is VERY well informed--he has an encyclopedic knowledge of American history.

In my view, the two best hosts in progressive talk are Hartmann and Mike Malloy, who has such a low profile on AAR that if the old TV show, "I've Got a Secret" were still on the air, he could go on as a contestant and his secret could be that he hosts a nightly three-hour syndicated talk show heard "nationally" on AAR. In good weeks, Malloy is heard once in Boston, a best-of show from midnight to 3:00 AM on Sunday or Monday mornings (I forget which). Malloy's show originates in Atlanta on an ex-band station on 1690 that, I'm sure, hardly anyone near Atlanta can hear. In New York, WLIB recently dropped his show to carry some brokered-time programming--although I've heard rumors that AAR has found a new station in New York to carry Malloy. I wonder if it's the 1660 ex-bander, WWRU.

>
> That is really the only explaination that I can give you.
> The dominance of conservative (is Bush really a
> conservative, by the way?) talk radio does not match the
> political fabric of the nation, which is about 50-50.
>
EXCELLENT POST!

The biggest success in progressive talk is Ed Schultz, who is not liberal enough for my taste, but I think is likely to endure even if AAR does not. He is not associated with AAR, except that many AAR affiliates carry his show. In my opinion, Thom Hartmann is much better than Schultz for reasons that I detailed in an earlier post. But Hartmann, though thoroughly professional, lacks Schultz's pizazz, which is more form than substance. Hartmann also lacks the financial backing of Randy Michaels (former honcho at Clear Channel), who has invested in Schultz's company).

Another fine talent in progressive talk radio is Rachel Maddow. Her presentation may still have a few rough edges, but she is one smart person (Rhodes scholar with a PhD in political science from Oxford) and she has a good sense of humor.

I'm one of those that thinks that a lot less of Randi Rhodes bombast would go a lot further. Randi obviously works very hard on her show but I think her high-decibel approach can drive away many of those who support her most ardently.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom