• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dr. Dean Edell done with Premier aka Clear Channel

After reading the board about Clear Channel cutbacks, I guess I shouldn't be surprised about Dr. Dean Edell leaving radio. I guess he was going to leave someday, but with the cutbacks at Clear Channel you gotta wonder if they needed unload talent.. :mad:

His final minutes on the air were interesting..They played the theme to MASH, while he was saying his goodbyes..

Hard to believe that Dr.Dean Edell and Rush Limbaugh were brought to syndication by former ABC Radio President Edward F. McLaughlin when he formed his company EFM Radio. If you took Rush show you had to get some of Dr. Dean show..So Dr. Dean had 400 stations...

I guess Premier Broadcasting got their monies worth when they bought EFM...

It is sad, indeed, to see Dr. Dean Edell leave his daily radio show. I had always found much value in his daily medical advice.

I had a phone conversation with Edward McLaughlin in April of 2009. He is a down toearth real nice guy who lives in Palm Beach about 8 houses down from Rush.

Edward McLaughlin was inducted into the Radio Hall of Fame in 1995. I would imagine Dr.Dean Edell will be joining him there someday.

daw said:
I guess he was going to leave someday, but with the cutbacks at Clear Channel you gotta wonder if they needed unload talent.. :mad:

It doesn't sound like Dr. Dean is gone because of any CC cutbacks.

If you're going to put two and two together, it sounds like he retired because he lost his live clearance on flagship station KGO/810 in San Francisco...they stopped clearing him live weekdays, and delayed his show to weekends. KGO is not a CC station...they're owned by Citadel (ex-ABC).

After starting at Sacramento's KRAK/1140 decades ago, Dr. Dean ended up on KGO, and though he's been doing his show from his home studio for many years for Premiere, KGO was still his "home" station and by far his biggest live clearance until this month.

It's mot necessarily that he's "bitter" about it...he's had a long, successfui career and is certainly entitled to retire. But a large part of his caller base comes from the KGO live clearance, and without KGO, he'd probably have struggled to get calls. VERY few stations ran him live these days.

Thanks for info on Dr. Dean Edell. I am sure advertisers didn't want to have his show rebroadcasted at all hours of the day especially late evening. I am sure Premier kept it going for as long as they could. I am going to miss listening to on WHNZ, because they probably will use Dr.Edell's former time slot for another infomercial....

Dean announced his impending retirement a few weeks ago. He was on one of the XM channels in the wee hours of the morning. Of course, they'll replace him with another sound alike right wing washed up disc jockey. We don't have enough of those guys.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom