• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Done for Fun!

jcolletta275

Inactive
Inactive User
This is a topic that I started on another, more local board, and I'd like to see results on a national level as well. What are some of the things (including those that would fit under the categories "stupid" and "probably punishable by management") you've done (or have heard jocks do) on the air just for fun... and most likely just to see if anyone out there is listening?

I'll get us started. At one station at which I've worked, we often did subtle, just-barely-touching-the-line things like throwing in songs that didn't fit in the daypart or using the same talkover bed every time we turned the mic on. However, late one night, some of us production gurus were working in the prod studio, and since the shift that was on the air (3-6 AM) was the "Jukebox Block", we decided to have a little fun. We had two versions of the same song, one pop and one urban, so we rearranged the playlist to air the two versions back-to-back for a solid hour! The phone never rang. None of our coworkers or superiors ever said a word, and I think we were the only ones who knew about it.

We'd always said that no one listened to us at night... and we proved it! Okay, so it wasn't the most mature thing to do, and looking back, it wasn't really all that funny either, but we got a good laugh from each other when someone would hear one version end and say, "you know, it'd really be nice to hear the remix. Oh, hey, whaddya know?!"<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie</P>

I had an evening music show on a 5,000 Watt AM Radio station in Fall River Massachusetts. One night a co-worker stopped by to visit me. He had his own show on the weekends. I decided to hook up an auxilery Mic and we went downstairs and looked through the conference room refrigerator on the air. We goofed on how much crap the staff left in there. Moldy Pizza, Sour Milk etc.... It was pretty funny. Not a single phone call of complaint. I don't even know what would have happened if the program Director or General Manager had shown up. I was pretty well liked at the station and I don't think anything to bad would have happened. But I'm glad that I never had to find out.

John<P ID="signature">______________
Awsome Voiceovers for your station.
JohnChartier.com
206-600-2629
</P>

Not to suck the fun out of your post, but keep in mind that only a small percentage of your listeners will actually call the radio station. No matter the format, most people just use the radio as a companion and don't participate in contests or call in to make a request. So don't think that just because the phone is not ringing, no one is listening.

For stupid stunts like the one you pulled, people will just think something is wrong with the station and change it. Most people don't care enough to call in and ask what's wrong, they'll just change the station.

> This is a topic that I started on another, more local board,
> and I'd like to see results on a national level as well.
> What are some of the things (including those that would fit
> under the categories "stupid" and "probably punishable by
> management") you've done (or have heard jocks do) on the air
> just for fun... and most likely just to see if anyone out
> there is listening?
>
> I'll get us started. At one station at which I've worked,
> we often did subtle, just-barely-touching-the-line things
> like throwing in songs that didn't fit in the daypart or
> using the same talkover bed every time we turned the mic on.
> However, late one night, some of us production gurus were
> working in the prod studio, and since the shift that was on
> the air (3-6 AM) was the "Jukebox Block", we decided to have
> a little fun. We had two versions of the same song, one pop
> and one urban, so we rearranged the playlist to air the two
> versions back-to-back for a solid hour! The phone never
> rang. None of our coworkers or superiors ever said a word,
> and I think we were the only ones who knew about it.
>
> We'd always said that no one listened to us at night... and
> we proved it! Okay, so it wasn't the most mature thing to
> do, and looking back, it wasn't really all that funny
> either, but we got a good laugh from each other when someone
> would hear one version end and say, "you know, it'd really
> be nice to hear the remix. Oh, hey, whaddya know?!"
>

Overnight radio

> Not to suck the fun out of your post, but keep in mind that
> only a small percentage of your listeners will actually call
> the radio station.

True. As a GM, I learned to listen to overnights and make casual observations to my PD just to make sure they knew. One night I heard our overnight guy at I-95 Savannah (this was the 80's. I think it was Jeff Taylor.) playing some highly unauthorized music. I didn't do anything, I just waited till the next day and casually mentioned to Virgil Thompson (now GM Kiss San Antonio) "Hey, I didn't know we play Krokus." His ears starting getting red and his teeth clenched so I was pretty sure he would have a talk with him.<P ID="signature">______________
Jerry

My passion for talk radio extends from Limbaugh to Komando to Franken. Please don't bore me with your political opinions or make commentary on what you imagine mine to be. No one cares.
</P>

Re: Overnight radio

> > Not to suck the fun out of your post, but keep in mind
> that
> > only a small percentage of your listeners will actually
> call
> > the radio station.
>
> True. As a GM, I learned to listen to overnights and make
> casual observations to my PD just to make sure they knew.
> One night I heard our overnight guy at I-95 Savannah (this
> was the 80's. I think it was Jeff Taylor.) playing some
> highly unauthorized music. I didn't do anything, I just
> waited till the next day and casually mentioned to Virgil
> Thompson (now GM Kiss San Antonio) "Hey, I didn't know we
> play Krokus." His ears starting getting red and his teeth
> clenched so I was pretty sure he would have a talk with him.

In my defense, let me just say this: this was at a station where it had long been determined (even by our superiors) that no one listened overnight. Even if our superiors had found out about it, it's most likely that they wouldn't have cared.<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie</P>

Re: Overnight radio

Words of wisdom given to me when I was just starting in the industry:

"You never know who is listening"

I was doing evenings in a resort community for a couple of years and was moving up to afternoons. After taking requests 5 nights a week and listening to everyone else's party, I decided for my final nighttime shift that I'd party, choose the music, and let everyone listen. The newsman and I spent the evening having a blast on air. When anyone called to make a request, I told them I wasn't taking any, and they could listen to me having a good time for a change. Everyone thought it was pretty funny.

The only issue the PD had afterwards was the fact that I didn't know we weren't allowed to drink on-air and we'd imbibed a couple of Heinies. Oops.

It sounds like "You played what you wanted." What is your name? Jack?

> I was doing evenings in a resort community for a couple of
> years and was moving up to afternoons. After taking requests
> 5 nights a week and listening to everyone else's party, I
> decided for my final nighttime shift that I'd party, choose
> the music, and let everyone listen. The newsman and I spent
> the evening having a blast on air. When anyone called to
> make a request, I told them I wasn't taking any, and they
> could listen to me having a good time for a change. Everyone
> thought it was pretty funny.
>
> The only issue the PD had afterwards was the fact that I
> didn't know we weren't allowed to drink on-air and we'd
> imbibed a couple of Heinies. Oops.
>
<P ID="signature">______________
[email protected]</P>

Yeah, I'm head of my time. It was 1985.

Jack isn't 'play what you want'. From what i understand, there's still a playlist.

Play what you went went out in the 70's with Muni and the other progressive rockers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom