• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Don Geronimo Fired from Big 100

Isn't Don Geronimo something like 65 years old? If radio stations really don't want listeners over 45 at the oldest, are any listeners going to think that he is still relevant?
Imus kept going with his shock jock routine and "politically incorrect" comments until he was about 78. Michael Savage retired in 2020 at about age 78. They all had attitude against women and people of color that Don Geronimo does. But, I don't know how many listeners will actually follow Don Geronimo to his next station for his next morning zoo routine. JMO.
It's simple: Politically incorrect old guys like listening to politically incorrect old guys. Goes to relate-ability.

While I didn't like the move to oust Don, his replacement - Jaxon formerly of WMMR in Philly - is a great hire!

Source: radioinsight

iHM has also issued a press release.

The difference is that Geronimo had heritage in DC and with the team, while the new guy does not. Which makes him potentially safer.

So he's less likely to interact the way Geronimo did.
He’s also less likely to do that because that’s never been his thing. Yes, he had afternoons which were music oriented and not a morning zoo type thing. But still, there’s no history of being a shock jock, just a guy who plays and knows rock. 😉

He started the argument by insulting her. Then she spoke up for herself. That might be framed by portraying her as the aggressor and Don Geronimo as an innocent victim. But I think she was just defending her work.
Rest assured I'm not defending what he did because it was wrong and certainly inappropriate. Just passing along the report that the sports reporter who was the target of the inappropriate comment had suddenly left WUSA.

Rest assured I'm not defending what he did because it was wrong and certainly inappropriate. Just passing along the report that the sports reporter who was the target of the inappropriate comment had suddenly left WUSA.
Not defending it either, but wouldn't it be interesting if this incident got her onto the radar of a network or a bigger market, and she ends up with a higher-profile, better-paying job as a result?

Not defending it either, but wouldn't it be interesting if this incident got her onto the radar of a network or a bigger market, and she ends up with a higher-profile, better-paying job as a result?
Most sports and news networks don't want their talent/potential talent to become the story. Even though this wasn't a super high profile national incident, I suspect she will likely not work in TV again. Based on what FTVlive reported, it sounds like she's pursuing a gig outside of the TV world.

Probably much better (and more) opportunities getting out of that game, pun fully intended.
Yeah, the local TV news business in Washington is tough. Tougher than just about anywhere else, given it's the nation's capital. Overall local news viewership is down anyway, but there's a level of importance to maintain a high level of talent and competence to report on stories to networks and stations outside the DC area. Local station GM's are saddled with high expenses and shrinking advertiser and viewer base.
You-know-what-flows-downhill, so everyone feels the pressure to perform. That includes back-office staff and even sports talent.
Which, by the way, sports talent at local stations has proven to be sacrificial during the pandemic and economic downturns. Which means; if you're a sports reporter at a local station, you'll be the first to go when things get tough. Need to have a backup plan.

Most sports and news networks don't want their talent/potential talent to become the story. Even though this wasn't a super high profile national incident, I suspect she will likely not work in TV again. Based on what FTVlive reported, it sounds like she's pursuing a gig outside of the TV world.
An update. The former sports anchor in question has landed. Albeit, landed in a sewer:

Thats being kind to newsmax, calling it a sewer.. werent they the network that had to retract their statements about the election?
I don't recall them retracting their claims the election was fraudulent, but when Dominion and Smartmatic hit them, Fox News, and OANN with defamation suits from Dominion and Smartmatic Voting Systems for claiming their machines were involved in the conspiracy, Newsmax was pretty quick to somewhat-apologize for making the claims: https://www.npr.org/2021/04/30/9925...gy-to-dominion-employee-over-election-stories

Back
Top Bottom