• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Does KTLA have too much news nowadays?

Throughout the weekdays, KTLA 5 LA has been airing nothing but news from 4AM - 7:30PM everyday, and, call me crazy, but I think that's a lot of news. I think they should cut back, and have some variety for crying out loud. I mean, what's with all of these stations nowadays airing so much news, you know? What do you guys think, are they doing too much? Should there be more variety, or am I just delusional?

I think this thread should be moved to the Los Angeles TV board.
As should the identical thread started on the New York TV board. Hint to new member: If your post is about a Los Angeles television station, post to the Los Angeles TV board. Otherwise, people will be calling you worse things than crazy. ;)

As for why so much news, the answer is simple. More advertisers will pay more more money for time on local newscasts than they will on umpteen hundredth reruns of some 25-year-old sitcom.

If a local TV station is too dependent on syndicated programming today then it is going to change into an affiliate of a subchannel network. Nexstar is right to expand news on KTLA to offset the declining need for syndicated shows.

As should the identical thread started on the New York TV board. Hint to new member: If your post is about a Los Angeles television station, post to the Los Angeles TV board. Otherwise, people will be calling you worse things than crazy. ;)

As for why so much news, the answer is simple. More advertisers will pay more more money for time on local newscasts than they will on umpteen hundredth reruns of some 25-year-old sitcom.
Does it also save the TV station money ? They don’t have to pay for the rights to Air a TV 📺 Show. ?

The station pays the people who put on the newscast more in salary than it does the syndicator of the sitcom.

Well, maybe (and only maybe), but the difference is they're already paying that news staff. Nobody gets a raise when the station adds another 30, 60 or 90 minutes of news.

So, if the station gets to ditch a sitcom that costs five grand a week (or more likely, ad inventory that it gets to keep if it runs a newscast instead), it's money ahead.

The station pays the people who put on the newscast more in salary than it does the syndicator of the sitcom.
Yes and especially today when syndicators are most likely going to TV apps like PlutoTV, Tubi, Freevee and have their content there.

We mentioned about several local TV stations that were dependent on syndicated shows in the past before they had to flip formats and affiliations because of this very reason.
Most notably KDOC-TV prior to being an affiliate of TCT was very dependant on syndicated shows before the affiliation change.

Yes and especially today when syndicators are most likely going to TV apps like PlutoTV, Tubi, Freevee and have their content there.

We mentioned about several local TV stations that were dependent on syndicated shows in the past before they had to flip formats and affiliations because of this very reason.
Most notably KDOC-TV prior to being an affiliate of TCT was very dependant on syndicated shows before the affiliation change.
Thanks to Everyone who answered my last Question I really appreciate it 😊😎

Scripps KILM might end up becoming an Independent station branded as California 64 they could air a very dependant on Syndicated shows what KDOC showed along with local news, live sports and live local events because I heard Scripps is going to turn The CW affiliations into an Independent stations in other markets Scripps didn't want to renew their CW affiliation so that's why will move The CW affiliates to another channel that it's not owned by Scripps that's the reason, another thing Bounce TV would move to KPXN subchannel 30.6 and move Jewelry TV to 30.7 since 30.7 is been empty for long time there's room for Jewelry TV to move to KPXN subchannel 30.7 to make room for Bounce TV on KPXN subchannel 30.6 that's an option.

Back
Top Bottom