• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

"Do You Want to Know a Secret" -- Beatles ...

P

Phantom

Actually I do.

Any rumors, scuttlebutt, gossip, hearsay ...

Say it here.

Re: rumors...

OK... but you didn't hear it from me...

Announcements will be made next week regarding the replacements for Stern's morning drive slots nationwide. Expect the expected... and a few surprises.<P ID="signature">______________
"Is all that we see or seem
But a dream within a dream?"
Edgar Allen Poe</P>

> Actually I do.
>
> Any rumors, scuttlebutt, gossip, hearsay ...
>
> Say it here.

KVIL will flip to all holiday tunes starting November 1st. Oh wait, that's no secret, that's tradition.

> > Actually I do.
> >
> > Any rumors, scuttlebutt, gossip, hearsay ...
> >
> > Say it here.
>
> KVIL will flip to all holiday tunes starting November 1st.
> Oh wait, that's no secret, that's tradition.
>
And KVIL will have their best numbers of the year for the winter book. Barf.
I really hope that when the PPM comes out the numbers on that schlock practice are so horrid that insipid PDs will stop doing it.

> OK... but you didn't hear it from me...
>
> Announcements will be made next week regarding the
> replacements for Stern's morning drive slots nationwide.
> Expect the expected... and a few surprises.
>

Don't worry Gavin... we can keep a secret.

>
> Don't worry Gavin... we can keep a secret.
>

Now that's just rude, Jeff... there's no need to start calling people names...

I mean, Gavin Spittle has WAY more hair than I do...

... and is thinner...

... and has a job... er... I mean, has a good job...

So don't go desparaging him like that!<P ID="signature">______________
Edgar Allen Poe</P>

> >
> > Don't worry Gavin... we can keep a secret.
> >
>
>
> Now that's just rude, Jeff... there's no need to start
> calling people names...
>
> I mean, Gavin Spittle has WAY more hair than I do...
>
> ... and is thinner...
>
> ... and has a job... er... I mean, has a good job...
>
> So don't go desparaging him like that!
>
The new hosts will be Bingo MacGee M-W-F, BlueScreen Iu-Thurs.It all kicks off with a live remote from the Dallas Bingo Palace on Northwest Hiway.Free Heineken and doughnuts will be handed out.

> The new hosts will be Bingo MacGee M-W-F, BlueScreen
> Iu-Thurs.It all kicks off with a live remote from the Dallas
> Bingo Palace on Northwest Hiway.Free Heineken and doughouts
> will be handed out.
>

Sadly... if it were true, beer and donuts would be EXACTLY the way to kick it off! WooHoo! The Homer Simpson diet!<P ID="signature">______________
Edgar Allen Poe</P>

> And KVIL will have their best numbers of the year for the
> winter book. Barf.

Fall book. Winter starts after January 1.

> I really hope that when the PPM comes out the numbers on
> that schlock practice are so horrid that insipid PDs will
> stop doing it.

Philly PPM test showed it even works better in PPM meansurement than in diary. Lots of additional cumers that don't write it in the diary, as they don't really know what station it is get picked up in the PPM.

It is a big hit with AC female listeners, and is not targeted at guys.

Surprising information regarding PPM

> Philly PPM test showed it even works better in PPM
> meansurement than in diary. Lots of additional cumers that
> don't write it in the diary, as they don't really know what
> station it is get picked up in the PPM.

The PPM seems like a good idea, except an article in Radio magazine from April indicated concern from advertisers. The article states while programming content is encoded with a PPM signal, commercials aren’t. I find that hard to believe though because the article also states the PPM signal is inserted just before on-air processing. If that were the case, why would commercials not be encoded with a PPM signal?

Re: Incorrect information regarding PPM

> > Philly PPM test showed it even works better in PPM
> > meansurement than in diary. Lots of additional cumers that
>
> > don't write it in the diary, as they don't really know
> what
> > station it is get picked up in the PPM.
>
> The PPM seems like a good idea, except an article in Radio
> magazine from April indicated concern from advertisers. The
> article states while programming content is encoded with a
> PPM signal, commercials aren’t. I find that hard to believe
> though because the article also states the PPM signal is
> inserted just before on-air processing. If that were the
> case, why would commercials not be encoded with a PPM
> signal?
>

The station is encoded, not the specific content. the encoder has no way of knowing what is on the air, just tht it is inserting the station identificatin encoding. There is an engineers' white paper on the Arbitron website that explains it all.

> The station is encoded, not the specific content. the
> encoder has no way of knowing what is on the air, just tht
> it is inserting the station identificatin encoding. There is
> an engineers' white paper on the Arbitron website that
> explains it all.

Yes that's what I thought. Perhaps you can explain this:

One concern expressed by the advertising community is that while programming is encoded, commercials are not. Advertisers want to know that their spots were heard.

<a target="_blank" href=http://beradio.com/currents/radio_measuring_media/>http://beradio.com/currents/radio_measuring_media/</a><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by randrewsIII on 10/05/05 02:28 PM.</FONT></P>

> > The station is encoded, not the specific content. the
> > encoder has no way of knowing what is on the air, just tht
>
> > it is inserting the station identificatin encoding. There
> is
> > an engineers' white paper on the Arbitron website that
> > explains it all.
>
> Yes that's what I thought. Perhaps you can explain this:
>
> One concern expressed by the advertising community is that
> while programming is encoded, commercials are not.
> Advertisers want to know that their spots were heard.

The article says, "One concern expressed by the advertising community is that while programming is encoded, commercials are not. Advertisers want to know that their spots were heard. There are other concerns, too. How do you measure bath, shower and other private listening? How will it measure traveling listeners, who are often high-income people who spend days and weeks away from home and their base station? What about other people spending nights away from home? Will minority audiences be appropriately represented?"

The intent of radio ratings is to determine whether a station is being heard, not the individual components of the station. The PPM system is based on the same premise as the diary... quarter hour average measurement, with usage of 5 minutes or over giving a station credit for a particular quarter hour.

The PPM does not measure second by second listening levels... or minute by minute. It takes multiple "detections" per minute and creates average listening figures for broader time periods.

Obviously, if someone sits thier meter on the counter while in the shower, it will detect a station if any is playing... even if the person in the shower is not listening clearly. This is the gray area of the PPM. But, compared with the diary, we get a much better read of instantaneous usage, not mental rounding that diarykeepers often engage in.

Since radio is mostly a local medium, it really does not matter that a few people may be away. In fact, the meter has a motion sensor. If it is not detecting movement, the panel member is taken out of the sample for as long as it takes to get them to carry again or to get them out of the panel. If you think of how many people this might affect, it is minuscule. Generally, people with that busy a schedule are a) atypical and, b) not going to accept being part of a panel anyway, so the point is moot.

The PPM panel is as close to a perfect proportional sample as you could get today. Every variable that they control for, such as ethnicity, language usage, age, sex, income level, etc., is represented perfectly in the panel. If someone drops out, an "equal" is put in instantly. So higher and lower income, ethnic groups, etc. are all represented in true proportion to their presence in the community.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom