• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do DJs talk about the music?

Last week I was listening to WBRF in Galax VA and of course, the DJs will talk about the artist after many songs, sometimes giving you more information than you probably wanted to know.

The DJs on WEZV Myrtle Beach SC haven't been doing a good job of it but one just told us the name and artist of the last two songs. Wow! The web site does not provide this information.

On Good Time Oldies the DJ will say the name and artist for the song when he or she comes on but then talk about something unrelated to music.

Last week I was listening to WBRF in Galax VA and of course, the DJs will talk about the artist after many songs, sometimes giving you more information than you probably wanted to know.

The DJs on WEZV Myrtle Beach SC haven't been doing a good job of it but one just told us the name and artist of the last two songs. Wow! The web site does not provide this information.

On Good Time Oldies the DJ will say the name and artist for the song when he or she comes on but then talk about something unrelated to music.

Back in the day before the internet, I would say DJ's talking alot about the music was a thing.. because it was hard to find that info.. now a days you can look up something on any song in seconds.

Now a days, give them a little tidbit about the song if theres somethign worthwhile.. but otherwise, give them something they can't get somewhere else.. or something they can easily relate/connect to

Radio New Zealand has a weekend show (simulcast on RNZ International shortwave), "Saturday Night with Phil O'Brien". It airs early Saturday morning, U.S.A. time.
He is one of the best DJs I've ever heard, doing mostly listener requests, with just enough intro and tidbits of info to make it flow smoothly.
I see in his bio that he has worked all over, including the U.S. I wonder where he worked here?

DJ's talking about the music only really makes sense if the station's audience is interested in that kind of talk. It sounds more like something you'd hear in public radio. I think DJs should be entertaining. They should be funny. Steve Harvey is funny and entertaining, and probably never talks about the music, and he's an extremely popular DJ. There's a funny scene in Private Parts where Howard Stern is trying to figure out what to talk about. Ultimately he decided to talk about a subject he knew best, which was himself.

Right now there are a lot of artists who host radio shows. If they talk about the music, that brings credibility to the conversation. Peter Noone (Herman of Herman's Hermits) hosted a radio show for a while. Nikki Sixx of Motley Crue hosted a radio show for a while. There are a lot of artist-hosted shows on Sirius. Having them talk about the music means more than having some kid who used to work at the local Home Depot talking about the music.

Dj's talking about the music reminds me of underground, AOR, college type formats. They really don't exist much today. Instead the most you will hear is a quick quip about the song and/or artist that lasts less than about 8 seconds. Don't get me wrong, those quips can still be artistic and brilliant, but are few and far between. Those who know how to do them correctly can make them work. But, frankly, the DJ is going the way of the dinosaur on radio today. Except for some high profile morning shows, (that really don't EVER discuss the music), the radio DJ job is not something anyone should strive for today. Too bad, though, because it was so influencial just 30-40 years ago. Will it comeback? Likely not, but who can predict?

Dj's talking about the music reminds me of underground, AOR, college type formats. They really don't exist much today.

Because music isn't a universal part of the community in the way it was in the 60s & early 70s. It was unique to that time and that experience. By the 80s, the music became more diversified and more generalized, and wasn't directly related to any core experience. Back then the DJs talked about the music because it was part of that experience. Now it isn't. Most of the DJs who had first hand knowledge of that experience are either in their 70s & 80s or passed away.

Normally on Good Time Oldies they might name the song and artist and that's it, but just now, "Raindrops Keep Falling on My Head" was played and the DJ talked about a multiple CD set with Oscar-winning songs, which of course come from many different genres.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom