• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Do any AC stations still play these tracks?

andrewduong77 said:
firepoint525 said:
Ironically, it seems that most AC stations are more into playing their more "rockin'" hits, like "Hold On Loosely" and "Caught Up in You." I wish that they would at least (also) play "If I'd Been the One." That's the one that featured Julianne Phillips (future and former Mrs. Springsteen) in the video.
Same goes for Cheap Trick, more AC's are into their "upbeat", "rockin'" hits like "I Want You To Want Me" and "Surrender".
I hear those on classic rock or maybe classic hits, but not on AC.

Another one to add to the list

You Can Call Me Al [Paul Simon]-heard on KRVY 97.3-MN, which is parallel with Dial Global's AC satellite format.
And I heard Papa Don't Preach by Madonna not too long ago on the same station as well.

I can also say that KELI 98.7 in San Angelo, TX [Magic 98.7] plays Endless Summer Nights by Richard Marx occasionally.

-crainbebo

I just thought of one more - "We Don't Need Another Hero/Thunderdome" by Tina Turner from the mid-80s. I wouldn't really expect any station to play it, but it was a big AC hit in its time.

carolinaradio said:
I just thought of one more - "We Don't Need Another Hero/Thunderdome" by Tina Turner from the mid-80s. I wouldn't really expect any station to play it, but it was a big AC hit in its time.

Ditto.

carolinaradio said:
KMGL/Oklahoma City still gives it quite a spin. It was either last year or two years ago when I did caught KODA/Houston playing it as well. WLYF/Miami did play it earlier this year, they may still be playing it now, I haven't been keeping up with their playlist lately.

Wanted to add some more to the thread

We Are Family-Sister Sledge [KAFE 104.1 airs it a LOT]
Night Fever-Bee Gees [aired on several ACs]

And do these really count for AC? They seem more rockish' to me...
When It's Over-Sugar Ray [KRWM plays it CONSTANTLY now. At least every six hours...]
Follow You Down-Gin Blossoms [KRWM plays it, less constantly than When It's Over, but it doesn't seem to fit the format]

-crainbebo

carolinaradio said:
I was thinking about a lot of songs earlier that have vanished from the AC format over the years, a lot from the latter part of the 80s. I know that a lot of slower/softer stuff doesn't do well for the AC format anymore, which I understand, but this was pretty much out of curiosity. Does anybody still play any of these?

38 Special - Second Chance
WLIT & WILV Chicago play this song on occasion.

Mike & The Mechanics - The Living Years
Neither WLIT & WILV have played this song in a while. I don't know if it's played when I'm not listening, or not played right now. Good song.

Genesis - Hold On My Heart & Throwing It All Away
These are played occasionally on WLIT & WILV. I'm however hearing Misunderstanding the most not only from these 2 station, but from Classic Hits station WDRV/WWDV simulcast (sister station to WILV)

Elton John - Sacrifice & Circle Of Life
I still hear Circle of Life on WLIT, but WILV hasn't played any 90's Elton John. For Elton John, I'm most likely to hear from both stations, songs like: Don't Go Breaking My Heart w/ Kiki Dee, Crocodile Rock, Benny & The Jets, Your Song, Philadelphia Freedom, I'm Still Standing, Sad Songs (Say So Much), I don't Wanna Go On With You Like That, & occasionally, Nikita.

Cher & Peter Cetera - After All
This song is still played, but it's not in rotation as much on both stations, as it was played too much. Still a good song.

Linda Ronstadt & Aaron Neville - All My Life
Not sure I even heard this song on either station.

Rod Stewart - Downtown Train, The Motown Song, This Old Heart Of Mine
These are still played occasionally on both stations. I remember for a while, Young Turks was played a lot on WILV

Wilson Phillips - Hold On
This is the only Wilson Phillips song that's still played regularly on WLIT, WILV, & WZVN Lowell, IN (via Dial Global Network)I don't hear You're inLove, Release Me, or You Won't See Me Crying at all.

Steve Winwood - The Finer Things, Back In The High Life
These are played on occasion on WILV & WLIT. Songs I miss hearing from Steve Winwood are: Valerie (1982 & 1986 re-release), Don't You Know What The Night Can Do, & Holding On. I still hear While You See A Chance occasionally on WILV & WLIT.

Survivor - The Search Is Over
Still heard on WILV & WLIT. WILV is more likely to play Eye Of The Tiger more than The Search Is Over.

Starship - Sara
Haven't heard this one in a while.

Simply Red - If You Don't Know Me By Now
I haven't heard any Simply Red songs in a while on any station.

Heights - How Do You Talk To An Angel
This song hasn't been played in awhile on any AC station in Chicagoland, but with 101.1 now playing what sounds like a 90's station, this song might pop up there.

Don Henley - The End Of The Innocence, Last Worthless Evening
These are played occasionally, but I'm more likely to hear Boys of Summer on not only WILV & WLIT, but also the WDRV/WWDV simulcast, WAZN Lowell, IN (via Dial Global), & I once heard it on WLS-FM (Oldies). I'd like to hear Sunset Grill a bit more.

Richard Marx - Endless Summer Nights, Hold On To The Night
Richard Marx isn't heard as much on Chicagoland AC radio, despite still living in Chicagoland.

Breathe - Hands To Heaven
Not heard much at all. Maybe once in a blue moon.

Sinead O'Connor - Nothing Compares 2 U
Still played occasionally on WLIT & WILV.

Phil Collins - I Wish It Would Rain Down, One More Night, Another Day in Paradise, Two Hearts
One More Night & Two Hearts are still played regularly on WLIT & WILV. Sussudio is still a regular, as well as In The Air Tonight.

Madonna - Cherish
Still played occasionally, but Burning Up is played a bit on WLIT these days, along with Live To Tell, Papa Don't Preach (both WILV & WLIT), Material Girl (mainly WILV), Like A Virgin, Crazy For You, Express Yourself, & Like A Prayer (more on WILV than WLIT)

Bruce Hornsby - Mandolin Rain, The Way It Is
I haven't heard Bruce Hornsby on any station in years. Maybe his music doesn't fit the current AC format.

Our AC has rotated some of the stuff like "The Way It Is", "If You Don't Know Me", "All My Life", "Nothing Compares 2 U", "Hands To Heaven", and "Hold On To The Nights" in the past few years but I haven't heard them lately. Lots of great stuff on the AC format in the late 80s.

These are some good songs, but most are either not played much, or not at all in Chicagoland. Certain songs, WILV refuses to play, because it's a flanker station in order to protect sister station WTMX. Bonneville International was doing this from the time they acquired 100.3 in 1997, all way to when they sold their remaining Chicago cluster to Hubbard Broadcasting (WLUP was sold to Emmis, who later sold their Chicago cluster to Merlin Media). Hubbard Broadcasting is still following this unwritten rule of theirs today. The only difference with the Hubbard stations, is certain ads that Bonneville refused to accept, Hubbard now does.

I heard "Groovy Kind of Love" earlier this week and it makes me wonder if AC stations are still playing that. My station also plays "Two Hearts".

This morning was weird. "Make Love Stay" by Dan Fogelberg followed by "Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project. Am I back in college?

You'll have to pardon me. That's at about the beginning of my 20+ year avoidance of pop music. I was stuck on Oldies and drifted away from everything else. I know the song but just didn't immediately connect with the title. A few years after Oldies became Classic Hits, I realized that I wasn't that crazy about infinite repetition of 70s hits, looked elsewhere and rediscovered Pop about three years ago. Before that, I couldn't even relate to AC anymore!

vchimpanzee said:
I heard "Groovy Kind of Love" earlier this week and it makes me wonder if AC stations are still playing that. My station also plays "Two Hearts".

This morning was weird. "Make Love Stay" by Dan Fogelberg followed by "Eye in the Sky" by Alan Parsons Project. Am I back in college?

Two Hearts is played quite a bit on WILV & sometimes on WLIT. Groovy Kind Of Love is played occasionally on WLIT, but I don't believe it's been heard on WILV, since they're focusing on even more upbeat music.

vchimpanzee said:

Those are all great songs. What station is this?

new_friends_gr said:
vchimpanzee said:

Those are all great songs. What station is this?
Not AC.

Dial Global has the most popular adult standards format and many stations around the country use it.

Did "The Promise" by When In Rome ever get any AC airplay? It seems like it would be perfect for the format, even now - it has new wave elements, but is also somewhat of an upbeat ballad (sort of like OMD's "If You Leave").

The only station I ever hear play it is our local Adult Hits station.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom