• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

DJs on Sirius: Some missing since 1/1

Another post notes the now almost complete absence of DJs on Sirius Gold. That made me curious about jocks on some of the other channels.
A quick check shows that there are some jocks no longer at Sirius as of 1/1 scattered throughout the different channels. Some who were seven-day-a-week are cut back to weekends only (Christine Pedi on the Broadway channel). Even Howard Stern had to let two people go from Howard News.
Overall, when you compare the oldies/classic music channels to ones that are more current-music-oriented, the oldies channels seem to have fewer jocks, with the exception of the classic rock channels which seem fully staffed. Check out the 60s channel, classical channels, classic country - they all have fewer jocks than other channels. Classic R&B, Disco and Classic Alternative seem to be fully staffed (actually, there are very few hours in the week when there's NOT a DJ on First Wave).
(FYI: I know Dave Mac who was on Spectrum, Disorder and Blues passed away recently, just in case anyone thought he was one I was referring to.)

So this brings up a question: Do you like DJs or no DJs on your satellite radio? Does it depend on the DJ and the format? Since I've been a subscriber (Aug. '04), some channels (the AC ones, for example) have never had jocks. Another example if the Shuffle channel.

I like having the jocks. Sirius tends, overall, to hire better talent than you'd hear in many local radio markets.

I've noticed this week the Jazz Cafe (Ch.71) is missing Deborah Howell and Paul Cavalconte and the web site has removed all mention of
them. I like having a DJ come on every 3rd or 4th song - having just non-stop music is no different than Music Choice on cable-TV. Of course on some channels like the 70's having no DJ may be an improvement.

I don't like the idea of anyone losing their job, although it's been a fact of life in the radio business since day 1.

But to answer the question about liking live DJ's or not, I subscribe to Sirius for the music that I can no longer get from terrestrial radio, not personalities. I don't need anyone to tell me the name of the song, or the artist, or the year it was released because I already know most of that info. If I don't know, I only need to look at the screen to get that info, even the time is displayed there. The DJ isn't down the street in a cement block building giving me local news and weather either. DJ or not, I need to tune somewhere else for that info.

My opinion only.

My two cents, It depends on the channel. I like having the dj's on the top forty, alt nation, first wave, the Pulse, and it is nice to hear the old MTV vj's on the Big 80's channels, Other channels like Star light are better without DJ's My wife and I often listen to Sarlight as we fall asleep and having a dj talk would probably wake us up. So again, I think it depends on the channel.

I honestly could care less about djs. At best they talk for 45 seconds and even with that I'm ready to hit the button.

I agree it depends on the channel, some need that "kick start" (dj) and some channels are better off with none. I can tell you to listen to the great Bobby Ocean on XM I thought it would be a kick but with voice tracking and bad sound quality along with spotty coverage in and around a city like San Francisco I am too sold on this yet.

I agree that on some channels you need a dj to "kick start" a set but on other channels it's better not to have a dj. I thought that having the great Bobby Ocean on XM would be a kick but with voice tracking and bad sound quality (from point of programing) along with spotty coverage in and around a city like San Francisco I am not totally sold on this yet.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom