• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Digital Signal

B

BamaMedia

What would be the policy from FCC about switching to digital? Will it be mandatory when approved? What about small broadcasters, do we have to change our station equipment? will it be a grace period?

I've seen nothing that would indicate that it will be mandatory. The FCC does not gain any new spectrum to auction, so they don't care.

Besides, with only only one system on the horizon, which proposes to charge ridiculous licensing fees, someone would get sued if the Commission tried to make it mandatory.

Don't worry about it. Just a bunch of the big boys with rulers out yelling about whose stick is bigger. After a few years IBOC will just be a dim memory and you will see IBOC encoders for sale on E-bay at bargain prices.

> I've seen nothing that would indicate that it will be
> mandatory. The FCC does not gain any new spectrum to
> auction, so they don't care.
>
> Besides, with only only one system on the horizon, which
> proposes to charge ridiculous licensing fees, someone would
> get sued if the Commission tried to make it mandatory.
>
> Don't worry about it. Just a bunch of the big boys with
> rulers out yelling about whose stick is bigger. After a few
> years IBOC will just be a dim memory and you will see IBOC
> encoders for sale on E-bay at bargain prices.

At which time the question will become this: will I still have to pay my licensing fee for a technology whose company no longer exists? :)<P ID="signature">______________
"Get educated. Read stuff on the web and believe all of it."
-- Phil Hendrie
http://theradioblog.blogspot.com</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom