• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Detroit Radio Ratings: June 2023

Top 5+ demo rankings analysis for ages 25-54, 18-34 + 18-49 -
(scroll down to see Detroit):

25-54: 1. WKQI 2. WRIF 3. WMXD (up from #8) 4. WXYT-FM 5. WMGC 6. WCSX 7. WNIC
18-34: 1. WKQI 2. WXYT-FM 3. WYCD 4. WMXD 5. WJLB 6. WRIF 7. WMGC
18-49: 1. WKQI 2. WRIF 3. WMXD (up from #7) 4. WXYT-FM 5. WMGC 6. WYCD

That'd wipe out half to two thirds of the station in the format based on how things are programmed at the moment.

WGRD in Grand Rapids plays even more dinosaur rock than WRIF these days, which is stunning when one considers how the two stations compared 10 or 15 years ago.

I mean, WGRD plays Rush, Queen and Tom Petty. Thankfully, Riff doesn't play those artists. They also seldom if ever play Def Leppard and they don't play Crue or Van Halen quite as much as they once did. I do still hear Whitesnake on Riff a lot, though, which gets on my nerves.

In my ideal world, active rock on FM would sound like a blend of SXM's Turbo, Octane and Lithium channels.

For music, I like how Q106 in Lansing and Rock 95.5/105 in Traverse City sound.

WRIF ain't bad overall. However, they seem to play the snot out of the same four or five AC/DC songs over and over. That bugs me. They also play Nickelback once or twice a day. I'll change the station instantly whenever a Nickelback song starts. I am hard pressed to believe any devoted WRIF listener actually WANTS to hear Nickelback.

Last edited:
Is this WDRQ's last ratings period as a Country station? It's #15 in the Detroit ratings. WYCD is #6 overall. I assume that station will get some of the audience when WDRQ listeners go searching for another station to tune in.

I think WYCD will be making regular appearances in the top 5 in A18 to 34, A18 to 49 and A25 to 54 once New Country 93-1 disappears.

I suspect they'll even finish in 1st place in at least one of those groups on occasion.

Back in 2011 and 2012, WYCD routinely posted monster numbers across multiple major demo categories when it was the only game in town. I don't think they'll earn numbers quite as strong this time, but they will likely be impressive nonetheless.

Might 106.7 consider a return to country if 99.5's numbers rise sharply? I wouldn't rule out that possibility. The piped in morning guy on WLLZ is based at a country station in Birmingham and previously worked at WUBL in Atlanta.

Back
Top Bottom