• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Dees in the morning

I see where Rick Dees is now offering a syndicated morning show. Any thoughts? Has it been too long, or might he help someone in Memphis?

He might help if there was a classic hits offering.

The one thing that has saved his personal brand with the younger generation is his weekly countdowns, but he has not played well with the up and coming consumers in LA.

MoreMusic101 said:
He might help if there was a classic hits offering.

The one thing that has saved his personal brand with the younger generation is his weekly countdowns, but he has not played well with the up and coming consumers in LA.

Having met Rick and doing some freelance for him, he is the kind of guy who wants to hold on to the youth market until he dies and that is his problem is he does not see where he could make his money which is the 30 plus crowd as he is no teenager and when I was around him he seemed out of touch with the youth market.

He also is resistant to change which is part of why he keeps getting bounced out off LA radio. But he does have a nice studio on Olive Blvd in the Burbank media district though

radiosaur said:
I see where Rick Dees is now offering a syndicated morning show. Any thoughts? Has it been too long, or might he help someone in Memphis?

Dees left Memphis 34 years ago. Even for a Classic Hits audience, that's a long way back. If he could help in Memphis, it'd be based on how good he is now more than on how big he was for four years four decades ago.

the golden boy said:
Does FM 100 still carry the Weekly Top 40?
According to their website, they have him on Sunday mornings from 7:00 a.m. to 11:00 a.m.

http://www.fm100memphis.com/pages/4792286.php

Meanwhile, Ron Olson has done mornings on FM 100 basically forever! If he were to ever retire, that might leave an opening for Dees (if Dees is still aiming at the youth market), otherwise, no.

Steve Conley, former midday man at FM 100, is now morning drive at 'KQK, so even if Dees were to go the classic hits route, no room for him at 'KQK either.

Answer seems to be "No suh, Mr. Dees."

Wasn't Dees on WMPS 680 in the 70s, was fired but rehired by WHBQ 560 and then moved to LA? I remember his countdown show was carried from the start in the mid 80s to the early 2000s from 8-midnight Sundays on FM100. The Hot AC version started playing when FM100 segued to Hot AC around 1990. AT40 was carried from 8-noon but ended when 107.5 Kiss FM picked it up in 1998. Then they dropped Dees in the early 2000s and began playing the Hot AC Casey Kasem AT20 from 8-11 Sundays. Then when Casey retired in 2009, they replaced it with Dees again. Someone correct me if I am wrong?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom