• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CW moves in San Diego: XETV to KFMB

Midwest Television, Inc., parent company of CBS 8/KFMB-TV, AM 760, 100.7 KFM-BFM, announced today it is adding the San Diego CW Network affiliation. Beginning September 1, 2017, KFMB-TV will operate CBS 8 and CW as duopolies in the San Diego market.

The CW Television Network, a joint venture between Warner Bros. Entertainment and CBS Corporation, offers original primetime, afternoon and weekend programming, delivering hit shows such as Arrow, Crazy Ex-Girlfriend, The Flash, Jane the Virgin and Supergirl, targeting the highly coveted 18-34 demographic. KFMB-TV's CW channel will also air syndicated and local programming, including newscasts produced by CBS News 8, San Diego’s number one source for news.

"We are thrilled to be adding the CW to the KFMB family," said Alberto Mier y Terán, President and General Manager of the KFMB Stations. "It enhances our strong multimedia platform in San Diego and helps us to better serve all San Diegans with compelling programming and award winning local news."

http://www.cbs8.com/story/34282746/kfmb-tv-adds-cw-affiliation

I guess The CW didn't want a Mexican station either.

With this move, San Diego becomes the largest market by far to have The CW on a subchannel.

I expect it will be 8.2 and MeTV going to 8.3 to replace Grit. If they announce a 8.4 that'll be a surprise.

Last edited:
I expect it will be 8.2 and MeTV going to 8.3 to replace Grit. If they announce a 8.4 that'll be a surprise.

8.4 would surprise me, as well. But could they convert 8.2 or 8.3 to The CW for the 3 hours a day the CW programs (and 5 on Saturday morning), while maintaining MeTV or Grit the rest of the day? It would keep them from having to acquire a bunch of syndicated programming to fill the day.

As I've said over and over for other affiliation changes, it's listed as 8-4 on RabbitEars because specific channel information, including what it may replace, has not been made available at this time.

- Trip

I can't help but think right now, with NBC\Universal seeking positions for a new Telemundo outlet in San Diego, I wonder if XETV's operation side (of course not the license) is being bought out by them from Bay City Television, to move Telemundo over to there? Seems weird this is happening all at the same time...

Well this stinks for those of us that use an antenna to get our tv fix. I won't be able to get an HD signal for CW which means I will have to find an alternative source for their programming. Too bad that KUSI couldn't have picked up the affiliation instead.

And what does this mean for XETV? Will they go independent like KUSI or change to Spanish instead?

I didn't know that moving CW programming to a subchannel of KFMB-TV would mean the loss of HD. Subchannels can't broadcast in HD?

How far we've come where XETV may become irrelevant in the San Diego TV line up. In the early days of TV broadcasting, making Channel 6 in Tijuana into an English-language San Diego station was important. When the channel assignments were divided up, LA and NYC got the maximum number of VHF outlets, 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. Santa Barbara got 3, San Diego got 8 and 10, Tijuana got 6 and 12. At first, ABC programming was divided between 8 and 10, in addition to their fulltime commitments to CBS and NBC. Many ABC shows were not seen in San Diego. When XETV went on the air, it fought to get ABC affiliation, even though at first the FCC did not allow a foreign station to get a direct link to a U.S. network. ABC programs were recorded for later transmission.

In analog days, no network wanted to be on UHF because reception was always inferior to VHF. Today, UHF is the better band for digital TV. And XETV is really Channel 33 anyway, even if its PSIP reads as Channel 6. Thanks to subchannels, CW and Telemundo are both moving to U.S. licensed stations. XETV has become irrelevant, other than its value on cable provider line-ups, where it still is located at Channel 6. Is that enough for it to continue as an Independent English-language station?

Well this stinks for those of us that use an antenna to get our tv fix. I won't be able to get an HD signal for CW which means I will have to find an alternative source for their programming. Too bad that KUSI couldn't have picked up the affiliation instead.

I didn't know that moving CW programming to a subchannel of KFMB-TV would mean the loss of HD. Subchannels can't broadcast in HD?

As I have said on other threads, it is possible for two subchannels to broadcast in HD on the same station. Look at this list:
http://www.rabbitears.info/oddsandends.php?request=dualhd

XETV will be going dark on March 31st. In the words of the greatest San Diego anchorman of all time, "Well, that excalated quickly."

The station itself isn't going dark, it's being converted to a repeater of Mexico City's XEQ. Look for KFMB's CW subchannel to take XETV's place on cable channel 6.

Station vp and GM Chuck Dunning told TVSpy “effective at 12:01am on May 31st, CW6 will be replaced on XETV by a re-transmission of Channel Nine Network from Mexico City. Bay City Television, the operator of CW6 will cease operations at that time.”

The station’s last newscast will be its 10 p.m. show on Friday, March 31.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/san-diego-station-to-shut-down-after-losing-cw-affiliation/184920

And what does this mean for XETV? Will they go independent like KUSI or change to Spanish instead?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XEQ-TDT

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gala_TV_(Mexico)

apparently when I looked at TV spy's link on what XETV will be after the loss of CW affiliation. XETV will be converted into a Gala TV affiliate its one of the major networks in Mexico.

The station itself isn't going dark, it's being converted to a repeater of Mexico City's XEQ. Look for KFMB's CW subchannel to take XETV's place on cable channel 6.

http://www.adweek.com/tvspy/san-diego-station-to-shut-down-after-losing-cw-affiliation/184920

Wait if that's true that XETV will get Gala TV affiliation on May 31st what will happen to XHBJ apparently it had 2 stints holding the Gala TV affiliation for Tijuana/San Diego area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XHBJ-TDT

More on the switch from the San Diego Union-Tribune:

San Diego TV station CW6 will end its locally produced news programming on XETV on March 31, paving the way for it to become a Spanish-language outlet of the Mexican Galavisión cable network — a division of Univision — on May 31. On the same day, San Diego’s CW affiliation will move to KFMB-TV Channel 8, which plans to enhance and re-purpose its news programming.

The CW’s nationally broadcast shows — such as the popular series “Jane the Virgin,” “Supergirl” and “Arrow” — will continue to air on CW6 here until May 31, when they will begin airing on channel 8.3, a KFMB sub-channel.

“We are not purchasing or taking over the San Diego CW station, which is owned by (Mexico’s) XETV,” stressed Alberto Mier y Terán, the president and general manager of the KFMB Stations. “We are getting the CW affiliation — and we’re not losing our CBS affiliation. If I can re-purpose our newscast and create more local news content, it’s a win-win.”

XETV is owned by Bay City Television, which will cease to exist once CW6 becomes a KFMB affiliate at the end of May. KFMB is owned by Midwest Television, Inc., which last week announced KFMB would become the CW affiliate here on Sept. 1.

On Thursday, that switch-over date was bumped up to May 31, in part because of the CW Network’s wishes, said XETV Vice President and General Manager Chuck Dunning. He cited his station’s inability to agree on a new contract with the CW Network as the reason for CW6’s move to KFMB.
’You’ll be seeing a a completely different newscast (than KFMB’s), customized for that (CW) channel,” said Mier y Terán, who hopes to retain the CW6 name. “And you will not be seeing news at the same time. On KFMB, we don’t have a 4 p.m. or 10 p.m. newscast, so I will run the KFMB newscast on the CW channel at 4 and 10 p.m.

“It will be the same thing in the morning, when KFMB runs a morning newscast from 4:30 a.m. to 7 a.m. and then goes into ‘CBS This Morning, a network show. At 7 a.m. I’ll continue my local news on CW from 7 to 9 a.m. So I will be counter-programming to not compete with my own local news (on KFMB). I’ll be using some of the same local talent. And we’ll be hiring local news talent and photographers.”

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/entertainment/tv/sd-et-television-20170126-story.html

According to Wikipedia, XETV was bilingual at its sign-on in 1953 and became a fulltime English-language station and ABC affiliate in 1956. That all ends later this year. And all of XETV's news department will be let go. Although KFMB-TV will be hiring a few new people for its CW subchannel, which will air local newscasts 7-9am, 4-5pm and 10-11pm on weekdays. Most of those same times, XETV had local news. XETV will lose its place on Spectrum's cable line up, giving up Channel 6 to this new KFMB-TV subchannel.

I also noticed XEWT 12 does not seem to be carried on Spectrum anymore. It used to run on its over-the-air position at Channel 12. Only a few Mexican stations are carried, all of them aimed at a U.S. audience, XETV CW6, XHDTV My Network 13 and XHAS 33, the Telemundo station, which will also be moving to a U.S. subchannel. You'd think Spectrum would run the Mexican stations that are easy to pick up over the air, someplace on their line up. But they're not even up there in the 1200s where Spectrum runs many subchannels like Cozi and Buzzr.

I'm not sure if Cox Cable carries these Mexican stations. The entire San Diego County seems to be divided between Spectrum and Cox.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom