• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CW in Buffalo

There has been no confirmation from anyone yet about whether WNLO/23 or WNYO/49 will pick up the CW affiliation in the fall, but I observed one thing today. The WNLO website isn't working properly. I wonder if they are revising the website over the weekend because WNYO is going to get CW and WNLO will be independent. Quite a few stations that are confirmed to be not being CW affiliates in the fall have already rebranded: WWOR/9 in Seacus, New Jersey rebranded from UPN 9 to WWOR 9; WDWB/20 Detroit has rebranded from Detroit's WB20 to TV20 Detroit.<P ID="signature">______________
From WNBC-TV New York this is Liiiiive at Fiiiiive!</P>

Premature speculation

Broadcasting and Cable reported this week that the CW is just beginning the process of notifying existing UPN and WB affiliates about the process of applying for CW affiliation. So nothing's been decided yet beyond the initial announcement of CBS and Tribune-owned affiliates. (And the WNLO site is working fine here this morning, still with the UPN logos.)

> There has been no confirmation from anyone yet about whether
> WNLO/23 or WNYO/49 will pick up the CW affiliation in the
> fall, but I observed one thing today. The WNLO website
> isn't working properly. I wonder if they are revising the
> website over the weekend because WNYO is going to get CW and
> WNLO will be independent. Quite a few stations that are
> confirmed to be not being CW affiliates in the fall have
> already rebranded: WWOR/9 in Seacus, New Jersey rebranded
> from UPN 9 to WWOR 9; WDWB/20 Detroit has rebranded from
> Detroit's WB20 to TV20 Detroit.<P ID="signature">______________
Tower Site Calendar 2006 JUST RELEASED! - <a target="_blank" href=http://www.fybush.com/nerw.html#calendar>www.fybush.com</a></P>

Re: Premature speculation

There's no CW deal yet for Buffalo. In fact, there was some of talk around town last week about a "beauty contest" that's taking place now, with CW as the "judge", and LIN and Sinclair as "contestants." Channel 49's digital signal woes (Sinclair decided to oppose the transition to digital and dragged their feet, wasted time lobbying for an alternative system, then went the cheap route with the minimum legal DT signal from their analog tower) are a big part of the reason. A lot of folks seem to think that WNLO has the "edge" in getting the CW affiliation, (better news presence, great analog AND digital signals all over the place, etc.), but it's complicated, with LIN said to have some "issues" with the new CW web affiliations that will involve some of their other markets. Gosh, wouldn't it be funny if neither one can come to terms and it ends up on WNGS? Okay, I know, can't happen, I'm just kidding about channel 67.

Re: Premature speculation

> There's no CW deal yet for Buffalo. In fact, there was some
> of talk around town last week about a "beauty contest"
> that's taking place now, with CW as the "judge", and LIN and
> Sinclair as "contestants." Channel 49's digital signal woes
> (Sinclair decided to oppose the transition to digital and
> dragged their feet, wasted time lobbying for an alternative
> system, then went the cheap route with the minimum legal DT
> signal from their analog tower) are a big part of the
> reason. A lot of folks seem to think that WNLO has the
> "edge" in getting the CW affiliation, (better news presence,
> great analog AND digital signals all over the place, etc.),
> but it's complicated, with LIN said to have some "issues"
> with the new CW web affiliations that will involve some of
> their other markets. Gosh, wouldn't it be funny if neither
> one can come to terms and it ends up on WNGS? Okay, I know,
> can't happen, I'm just kidding about channel 67.
------------
If LIN refuses to have CW on WNLO/23, and CW refuses to broadcast on WNYO/49, where will the CW be in Buffalo? Certainly not WNGS/67 now that they have the classic TV format, and I can't see "i" outlet WPXJ/51 being sold. Are there any allocations left in the Buffalo market?<P ID="signature">______________
From WNBC-TV New York this is Liiiiive at Fiiiiive!</P>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom