• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Curtains for Rachael Ray?

No great loss IMO. Plus, I'm guessing she doesn't need the $$ as many of the "stars" of the Food Network from back when she was really popular made their money and have long been off the air and out to pasture...Paula Deen, Emeril, Jamie Oliver, even Alton Brown is rarely around these days, etc.

I still remember Ray angering lots of restaurant staff back when she had her "$40 a day" show where she'd go to a larger city and show people it was possible to eat decent meals for $40/day. She was criticized for being downright cheap with her tipping and telling viewers it was OK to leave 10% for good service, when the norm in most larger cities tends to be upwards of 20.

No great loss IMO. Plus, I'm guessing she doesn't need the $$ as many of the "stars" of the Food Network from back when she was really popular made their money and have long been off the air and out to pasture...Paula Deen, Emeril, Jamie Oliver, even Alton Brown is rarely around these days, etc.

I still remember Ray angering lots of restaurant staff back when she had her "$40 a day" show where she'd go to a larger city and show people it was possible to eat decent meals for $40/day. She was criticized for being downright cheap with her tipping and telling viewers it was OK to leave 10% for good service, when the norm in most larger cities tends to be upwards of 20.
10 percent is downright insulting. I understood for years that 15 percent was the norm everywhere, but have adjusted to the new unspoken minimum of 20.

I've heard story after story of how rude and insulting she can be towards fans, guests, and even her TV staff. One of those classic examples of "sweet and charming" when the camera is on, and totally different when it's turned off. Hmmm.....sounds like Ellen....

I've heard story after story of how rude and insulting she can be towards fans, guests, and even her TV staff. One of those classic examples of "sweet and charming" when the camera is on, and totally different when it's turned off. Hmmm.....sounds like Ellen....
I remember when the Ellen talk show was around there was stories that she let certain staff members go toxic and act like loose cannons. But then again it's a case of once certain people are powerful they end up having a dictator complex. Sure I mention this in other threads but have not heard about this one specifically about Rachel Ray.

The Food Network's most toxic people I was aware of was Paula Deen and Mario Batali at one point in their histories.

The Food Network's most toxic people I was aware of was Paula Deen and Mario Batali at one point in their histories.
And Paula went away in large part because of her use of racial epithets and bigotry (which fans tried to discount as "normal" for a woman from the south that was raised in her generation), and Batali went away when he was called out for sexual harassment of at least one employee. Good riddence to both.

I recall a story about a time Batali did a cooking segment on one of the nationally televised morning shows. He sent his staff in, basically in the middle of the night to do a few hours of prep work, to start cooking and even make the completed dish he and the morning host would sample on the air. Batali walked into the studio about 20 minutes before the segment was to air, barked out a few orders to his staff, immediately started smiling once the cameras were on, he did his segment, and then immediately after walked out, leaving the staff to clean up. I'm not saying other chefs and even other types of entertainers don't do that type of thing, but they explained he was at times especially bad in that respect.

Back
Top Bottom