• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cumulus & Audacy potential merger

I saw online that there's a potential merger with Audacy and Cumulus. What would happen with WBHT/WBHD and WKRZ/WKRF?

I saw online that there's a potential merger with Audacy and Cumulus. What would happen with WBHT/WBHD and WKRZ/WKRF?
In markets where they do not exceed the limits (such as 8 stations, max 5 FM) in markets with over 50 stations, they would consolidate.

In markets where they do not exceed the limits (such as 8 stations, max 5 FM) in markets with over 50 stations, they would consolidate.
Thank you. Do you think they would sell off WKRF or WBHD or make WBHT/WBHD Rhythmic CHR or Hip Hop? Keeping KRZ as CHR Pop?

Thank you. Do you think they would sell off WKRF or WBHD or make WBHT/WBHD Rhythmic CHR or Hip Hop? Keeping KRZ as CHR Pop?
If they have to sell, it will be decided based on the signal and the billing of each station. They might even move a format on a lesser signal to a better one and sell the lesser signal and keep the format.

When looking at what to sell, they would also look at the best fit in a combo package as most cluster sales are for multiple stations.

I love it when two broke companies merge to save themselves. In he Twin Cities, the bet would be to jettison two of the trio FMs 105.1 and 105.3 and keep the 105.7. Of course the 100 KW FMs and WCCO AM would be kept.
Just wonder where the stations would end up? Downtown or Elm Street?

I love it when two broke companies merge to save themselves.

FYI This isn't being done by the companies. When they went bankrupt, control of the companies went to outside investors. They're the ones calling the shots and making decisions. When they settle on a strategy, they'll bring in new management.

So with the rumored merger of the two companies, would IHeart acquire either Cumulus or Audacy stations? Scr/W-B doesn't have IHeart stations within the market, but Williamsport does whose cluster includes a stronger FM signal that can be picked up in parts of the area.

So with the rumored merger of the two companies, would IHeart acquire either Cumulus or Audacy stations? Scr/W-B doesn't have IHeart stations within the market, but Williamsport does whose cluster includes a stronger FM signal that can be picked up in parts of the area.
At the moment, I doubt that iHeart would be interested in those relatively small low-growth markets.

If a merger of Audacy and Cumulus were to happen, I suspect the combined entity would keep the Audacy stations and spin the Cumulus properties in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Aside from WMGS, the Cumulus properties aren't doing well, and the DOJ wouldn't likely let a combined company keep it plus WKRZ and WGGY.

At the moment, I doubt that iHeart would be interested in those relatively small low-growth markets.
After the Atlantic City acquisition, I was told iHeart still had interest in filling in all Top 150 markets they did not hold assets in. A Cumulus/Audacy marriage could theoretically give iHeart the ability to enter Kansas City, Scranton, Buffalo, and return to Chattanooga.
If a merger of Audacy and Cumulus were to happen, I suspect the combined entity would keep the Audacy stations and spin the Cumulus properties in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Aside from WMGS, the Cumulus properties aren't doing well, and the DOJ wouldn't likely let a combined company keep it plus WKRZ and WGGY.
Correct. It's not going to be a pick and choose scenario. They'll retain one cluster and sell the other as-is.

Back
Top Bottom