• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Coverage prediction program online

There used to be a website, I believe it was based in Canada, that you could enter basic parameters i.e. antenna gain, transmitter power output, antenna height and antenna coordinates, and the program would produce a map showing predicted coverage. I think the site is no linger available online. Does anyone know if there is a similar site that is free to use for non commercial 'entertainment' purposes?

There have been a couple programs like this that have been online. The FCC had a contour prediction program on maps based on those parameters, and had the ability to show contour overlaps. However, there were complaints that it was too easy to use these to do your own research and applications. It soon disappeared. Nobody seemed to be able stop that when it was Law and other professions. I can see both sides, but this type of software has gotten so expensive that is no longer feasible to buy for a small cap contract engineer, which it was until recently. There was a Canadian program that plotted out contours based on a Longley Rice model. It also disappeared.

Radio Mobile still exists as a freeware Windows program rather than an online tool, but it is getting quite long in the tooth and is fairly 'challenging' to use for the hobbyist - you can use it to generate some quite realistic coverage plots, but it takes time to set up effectively. It is intended for ham radio use, but can be used to produce plots for FM broadcast transmitters.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom