• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Could Boston have 2 stations switching to all Christmas this year?

Indeed and possibly by Tuesday... Money maker."We need a little Christmas right this very minute" (a song from Mame), feel the radio execs. "Chri$tma$ has 2 S's in it and they're both dollar signs."--Stan Freberg,1960. (WMJX's HD2 signal is Christmas year round)

It's rare for a Hot AC to switch to Christmas music. It's such a stretch because almost no artists currently heard on Hot AC can be heard on a Christmas station. Most Xmas music was recorded from the 1940s (Bing Crosby) to 2000 (Mariah Carey). In a few markets where an AC station has segued to Hot AC, such as WALK-FM Long Island and KYXY San Diego, they still do Xmas music during the holidays. But I really can't think of any Hot AC that didn't make that transition, doing Christmas music.

Actually, I was always amazed that WROR did the Christmas format for all those years. Yes, it's a Classic Hits station, and in some markets, such as Dallas and Minneapolis, a Classic Hits station is the place for Holiday music each year, because Dallas and Minneapolis have no AC station. So KLUV and KQQL do the job. But those are pop-leaning Classic Hits stations, where you might hear Madonna and Michael Jackson. WROR is a Classic Rock-leaning Classic Hits station. Again, I don't know anywhere else in the U.S. where such a station does Xmas music. A few years ago, Greater Media made the logical decision to put Xmas music on AC WMJX and remove it from WROR.

About five years ago, CBS ordered all its Classic Hits stations to go with the Xmas format... WCBS-FM NYC, KRTH Los Angeles, WOGL Philadelphia, etc. But that was for one year only. Now only CBS AC stations (except in the aforementioned Dallas and San Diego) do the Xmas format. That's not to say this year, CBS wants to spread the high ratings Holiday music brings. But it's unlikely on a Hot AC station.

How about WRCA 106.1/1330? :p

Why would Beasley cut their own throat competing against what will be their other station WMJX for a share of the Christmas market?

Normally I would say it would be a great strategy for a flip, wipe out any memory of the old format ( not that anyone listened) and come on on 12/26 or 1/1 with a "new" station., but I could be wrong.

Someone from Beasley told me that they are taking over the Greater Media stations in the next week. Let me know when you hear new imaging " A Beasley Broadcast station" or something similar. That will be the day.

Now has anyone heard when 106.1 is going to flip the switch on the plates? ( yes I am showing my age)

WRCA flips on or about 11/15, so I assume they are going to light the pilot when they flip.

It's going to be interesting to see who survives. Beasley is frugal, you can bet your arse that there will be pay cuts.

I have heard some of the well compensated former CBS folks that Beasley got in the great station swap had quite the wake up call, BIG time pay cuts... major market AM drive slots..... Rumor has it L&W make HUGE money. You can bet that if they renew their contract which should be up any second now, they will be at half of what they make now, if not less.

The AM stereo pilot? Bringing back C-Quam? WRCA was in AM stereo in the '90s!

No I was thinking more of on the FM Exciter, but at 99 watts they may be using an exciter as the transmitter

Maybe WLYN will fire up their backup transmitter .... or WBZ-AM's backup ...... I think those are the last 2 in the area that still have the AM Stereo hooked up

Maybe WLYN will fire up their backup transmitter .... or WBZ-AM's backup ...... I think those are the last 2 in the area that still have the AM Stereo hooked up

WJIB 740 AM Cambridge restored broadcasting its AM stereo carrier full-time a couple of months ago, but the programming is in mono most of the time.

The problem is that WJIB is usually simulcasting the programming originating from co-owned WJTO 730 AM Bath ME, and the connection from Bath to Cambridge (which I believe is via a Comcast hi-fi phone line) is mono.

The only times that WJIB broadcasts program material in AM stereo is when the connection from ME to Cambridge goes down, and the automation computer in Cambridge is activated to broadcast separate (but similar) programming locally. At those times, it sounds great! The improvement in fidelity can even be heard on a good mono AM radio.

Since WJIB is planning for an approved FM stereo translator to take to the air on 101.3 in Cambridge early next year, I assume the ME to Cambridge connection will be made stereo by then.

Last edited:
WLYN has not broadcast in AM stereo, for years. The online stream, however, IS stereo. Same for WAZN.
This assumes that the program source, at any given time, comes to us in stereo. WLYN will be upgrading the
processing gear at the transmitter, in the near future.

Why would Beasley cut their own throat competing against what will be their other station WMJX for a share of the Christmas market?

Why don't you ask The Hallmark Channel the same question. The Hallmark Channel is running non-stop Christmas Movies (except Monday-Friday 10AM-2PM). Then their sister network Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is also airing non-stop Christmas Movies.

Why don't you ask The Hallmark Channel the same question. The Hallmark Channel is running non-stop Christmas Movies (except Monday-Friday 10AM-2PM). Then their sister network Hallmark Movies & Mysteries is also airing non-stop Christmas Movies.

If they can sell it and make money on it, they will do it!

Remember that it's not Christmas, it's Chri$tma$, and this is exactly why radio stations don't flip on Black Friday. Now, I'd love for WMJX and WBMX to both flip tomorrow, and given that the latter is announcing their Not so Silent Night lineup, afterwards they might say "and let's start the countdown now, Christmas music...." I personally think Mix will focus heavily on Christmas songs from 1990 to today, with a moderate amount of 1980s hits and an uptempo Christmas classic every other hour.

Listened to WSRS a bit this A.M.
I would guess more stations will flip next weekend including whoever in the Boston market is going to do it.

If the rumors of both stations going all Christmas were in fact true, wouldn't Mix 104.1 flip right now to beat them to the punch? I'm thinking it was merely a rumor and WMJX will be the only all Christmas music station in Boston.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom