• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Coronation of King Charles III and Queen Camilla -- US Coverage

There has been a lot of coverage of Prince Harry, saying that his role was limited:

But truthfully, that's the role of #2 son. That was the point of Harry's book, 'Spare.' The fact of the matter is William's 10 year old son George is higher in the pecking order than Harry. If you look at the siblings of the new king, they weren't given special honors. And to give Harry credit, he asked for this treatment, and I haven't seen him complain about it. He's critical of media coverage, and that won't change. That's why he asked out of the spotlight, and he's comfortable leading the life he has.

There has been a lot of coverage of Prince Harry, saying that his role was limited:

But truthfully, that's the role of #2 son. That was the point of Harry's book, 'Spare.' The fact of the matter is William's 10 year old son George is higher in the pecking order than Harry. If you look at the siblings of the new king, they weren't given special honors. And to give Harry credit, he asked for this treatment, and I haven't seen him complain about it. He's critical of media coverage, and that won't change. That's why he asked out of the spotlight, and he's comfortable leading the life he has.
If he'd just dreamed a little bigger and worked a little harder, he could be the King now

If he'd just dreamed a little bigger and worked a little harder, he could be the King now

There's nothing wrong with dreaming a little bigger, regardless of one's circumstance. I haven't read the book, but doubt it says everyone can be king. But they can become better in whatever they choose to do. The royals can look back at the story of Harry's great-great uncle Edward, who was in fact king, but gave up the throne because he married a divorcee. You can't change circumstances, but dreaming big can help you become the best you can be, rather than get hung up on the negativity. I think Harry shows he understands that.

You can't change circumstances, but dreaming big can help you become the best you can be, rather than get hung up on the negativity. I think Harry shows he understands that.
I know there's been a bunch of back and forth about Harry and Meghan, why she didn't attend the coronation, if she was requested not to come by a member of the Royal Family, whether or not she should have attended, and those people and "media" companies who are endlessly hung up on "palace intrigue" are lapping it up, but IMO it seemed Harry did exactly what was expected of him. He flew from LA to London on an American Airlines commercial flight, stayed the night at Frogmore Cottage, he and Meghan's former home which they've been asked to vacate in the coming weeks (which is fine, they have their own home in the US now), he arrived to the Coronation ceremony, smiled, spoke and appeared to joke with many of his relatives who were in attendance, he made his entrance alone, took his place in the 3rd row that he was assigned, played the part he was expected to play, and afterward, flew back to the USA, supposedly to take part in the final parts of his son's birthday, rather than stay and lurk or have his photo taken or make headlines which would distract from his father's "big day". In other words, he arrived, did what he was expected, played the part he had to play and then moved along before his presence became "a story".

Didn't we in this country have an armed conflict back in '75 (1775, that is...) against the British government (i.e. the monarchy)?

Yet, here a few million are celebrating this event on this side of the pond.

Ludicrous!

Didn't we in this country have an armed conflict back in '75 (1775, that is...) against the British government (i.e. the monarchy)?
Yet, here a few million are celebrating this event on this side of the pond.
Ludicrous!
I see very few people in the USA actually "celebrating this event", but there is "palace intrigue" among some and the media here has also generated interest in the Coronation. It's a ceremony and pagentry that some have never witnessed before, so some here will watch it for sure. Also remember that when Queen Elizabeth II passed away, lots of tributes appeared on Facebook and Instagram from people and businesses in the US, so there is a connection.

I was simply cursing why my favourite show was pre-empted by something that was on 57 other channels. Even some music radio station carried it.

I was simply cursing why my favourite show was pre-empted by something that was on 57 other channels. Even some music radio station carried it.
They didn't even do that in the UK. News/talk radio stations mainly carried it, but sports radio kept talking about the upcoming afternoon of soccer, and music radio kept on pumping out the hits, with the occasional update during news bulletins and DJ links. That sounds more like a poor programming decision on the part of individual programmers.

I saw it listed on the onscreen program guide for both FOX News Channel and NewsMax. Neither are channels I watch. That being said I'm surprised my local Tegna-owned FOX affiliate WTIC/61 didn't pick up the FNC feed. They aired their local news as they normally do.

WFSB/3 my local Gray-owned CBS affiliate aired coverage and aired their news on their Low-power not-on-cable as far as I know sister station known as The Wax - WWAX-LP 27.1 which also piggybacks on WFSB 3.4

WWAX -LP simulcasts the local news from WFSB along wit their local lifestyle talk shows Great Day at 9AM and Great Day Connecticut. The rest of the day they air motor bike racing.

27.2 is charge! the Sinclair owned network that shoes a couple action tv shoes,action movies, amf a ton of infomercials. 27.3 is Eyewitness News Now 24/7 news and weather which was on WFSB 3.3 umtil April 2015. 27.4 is Fido TV. As the name suggests it airs dog oriented programming 24/7.

The other stations in my market WVIT/30 the NBC O&O and WTNH/8 the NexStar owned ABC station did not air local news on sub channels or sister station.

Scripps News coverage of the event was horrible. Cellphone quality audio.

I didn't really watch the coronation, but from what I did see, WDAF-TV in Kansas City, MO, did air the Fox News feed until around 7:00AM CDT when they switched over to local news.

The only way to have seen this is via the BBC. Whether or not you love the monarchy and the new king or not, the Beeb's production was spectacular. The camerography, including the huge number of camera placements as well as the angles, close-ups and zooms, was fabulous. The narration was succinct and precise, with a magnificent avoidance of "flavored" adjectives and verbs. Even the commentary in the pauses was factual and not opinionated.

I watched from the coverage of the formation of the various military units to the end when the RAF overflew the Palace with colored smoke. It was just well done television, whether you are a royalist or not.

I do think they went a little to far in the all-gold carriage they use for the royal couple was overly... quite overly... ostentatious and borderline ugly.

Last edited:
The only way to have seen this is via the BBC. Whether or not you love the monarchy and the new king or not, the Beeb's production was spectacular. The camerography, including the huge number of camera placements as well as the angles, close-ups and zooms, was fabulous. The narration was succinct and precise, with a magnificent avoidance of "flavored" adjectives and verbs. Even the commentary in the pauses was factual and not opinionated.

I watched from the coverage of the formation of the various military units to the end when the RAF overflew the Palace with colored smoke. It was just well done television, whether you are a royalist or not.

I do think they went a little to far in the all-gold carriage they use for the royal couple was overly... quite overly... ostentatious and borderline ugly.
The BBC covers the royal occasions the way CBS covers The Masters. Nothing left to chance. There was an overhead camera swivel during William and Kate's wedding as they approached the alter that was perfect, a 90-degree swing from them walking left to right, and the train of her gown across the screen, turning to them side-by-side on the screen, perfect to the inch. David Lean would have loved it. I can only imagine how often that was practiced in the days before.

What they didn't report on the BBC at the time was that people were being arrested for the heinous crimes of carrying placards with "Not My King" and wearing T-shirts with "Just Stop Oil" on them. Arresting people because they might say something you don't like, in the middle of your parade, is like something straight out of Moscow. They locked the head of an anti-monarchist group up for 16 hours, until the event had ended, and then released him.

What kind of a free country, with free speech and free political debate, locks people up for peacefully protesting an event they disagree with? I don't fully agree with "Just Stop Oil" but the fact that they were arrested for nothing is frightening.

What kind of a free country, with free speech and free political debate, locks people up for peacefully protesting an event they disagree with?

Happens all the time in the US. Elected representatives in several states have been kicked out of their legislatures for simply voicing their opinions. I see the UK passed a 'Public Order Act.' Sounds like the laws states are passing in Florida and other states.

Does anyone know how many, if any, other countries see the US Presidential Inauguration live?
That is a good question. It's simply a news story, if that, in all Latin America per my "on site" experience.

But the inauguration ceremony has little show value. No golden carriage, no abbey that has been used for that since 1066, no procession of 10,000 soldiers, no choir, no symphony orchestra, no representatives from a dozen Commonwealth nations.

And... no royalty, crowns, vestments and pomp.

One is an event, they other is just a news item.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom