• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Comprehensive List Of Stations Still Airing the Soft AC/Easy Listening Format?

Thank you for these! I'm checking them out right now.

Given that it's almost 12:00 Pacific, KDKK has almost certainly signed off for the night, so I'll have to check it out during the day sometime.

WSBB has some weird distortion, but is otherwise decent.

The sound quality of KDTH, by comparison, is quite smooth and sounds quite like KVIN did before they went Indian (are they an ABM affiliate? The jingle I heard sounds rather like the ones I used to hear on both KVIN and KABL, and both of those stations had been ABM affiliates when I heard them).

The one thing about KDTH is that the transitions (say, from jingle to song or vice versa) are a bit sloppy, but that's OK. I like the format enough overall that it doesn't bother me too much if it's not perfect (I remember the original 960 KABL. It was so smoothly programmed and the songs and jingles flowed quite well that it was a pleasure to listen to).

c
KDTH is not an ABM, affiliate. Too many songs are played that are not on ABM's playlist. Now, they could have been at one time. And that distortion on WSBB seems to come and go, which I admit is annoying, so I don' listen to them very much.

One more to tell you about is WJIB Boston, MA. Recently rebranded as The Memories Channel under new ownership that will carry on its legacy. There are a couple of threads about them in the 'Boston' forum. Quite a history!

Add WDEA AM 1370 Ellsworth, Maine; using the Westwood One "America's Best Music" satellite service. Mostly automated, but does feature a lot of local High School sports, and Boston Red Sox.

KDTH - Dubuque, IA - Wide ranging 50's to 70's, from Rosemary Clooney to Chicago. At 10pm starts ' Nice N' Easy - Instrumentals, Big Band, Beautiful Music, soft vocal standards from 50's and early 60's.

KDTH is not an ABM, affiliate. Too many songs are played that are not on ABM's playlist. Now, they could have been at one time.
I can't say I ever heard Rosemary Clooney on ABM. It might be they played her in the very early days, but I do not remember the name. And because my parents bought me a Rosemary Clooney album of children's songs, I certainly knew about her.

I can't say I ever heard Rosemary Clooney on ABM. It might be they played her in the very early days, but I do not remember the name.
I'm pretty sure they did, at least they did 20-ish years ago.

Back around 2000-2002, KABL was an ABM affiliate, and I do remember hearing Rosemary Clooney occasionally.

Add WDEA AM 1370 Ellsworth, Maine; using the Westwood One "America's Best Music" satellite service. Mostly automated, but does feature a lot of local High School sports, and Boston Red Sox.
That sounds like a good one to check out! Do they stream, or if not, is there an SDR somewhere within reception range?

c

Last edited:
KMGK Glenwood MN (107.1) excellent station with 1950s-2010ish music, lots of rarities and oh wow's, even album cuts - also a couple of TV themes an hour, occasional smooth jazz or new age cuts. 2,000+ songs and I assume more than that, in the playlist. Minnesota Twins affiliate, also airs lots of HS sports, old-time radio each night.

WEVR River Falls WI (1550 AM, 106.3 FM) simulcasting each other for the last 50 years or so. Soft AC format mostly 1960s-1990s, with occasional B/EZ cuts. A two-person operation - a female during the afternoons and a male (I think his name is TJ Campbell) with live weather updates. They always cut off the last song around :58:30 at the hour for the TOH ID, a Freeman Drug commercial, and into USA Network News. This station is a time warp to about 1990, or even earlier. Listening to it makes me think I'm in a past dimension of radio that shouldn't exist anymore. Brewers affiliate.
There's a KiwiSDR near Minneapolis that pulls in 1550, so I have monitored the WEVR broadcasts through the AM simulcast.

Back around 2000-2002, KABL was an ABM affiliate, and I do remember hearing Rosemary Clooney occasionally.

c
Interesting, because that's when I perceived the format as having moved in a more AC direction.

I do recall hearing "At Last" by what I believe was Ray Anthony in 2000 on the Asheville NC area station. But there had been some big changes the next time I listened to an affiliate. Charlotte NC had Stardust by that time.

Thank you for the recognition! My tastes are VERY eclectic and always have been. I'm 54, so maybe a little youngish for this easy listening demographic but I worked on air for a few stations between 1985 and 1998 and the formats were Pop Top 40, Churban Top 40, Adult Standards (automated), Spanish Pop (automated), Adult Contemporary (circa 1989, where AC was more mellow and played music from the late 60s to then currents), Rock 40, Alternative, Old School R&B and Adult Alternative (AAA) - my favorite online stations are Jeffro Radio, Boss Boss Radio, and Fun Tower Radio because they remind me of how radio USED to be.
What a rich radio history you have. Very cool!

That sounds like a good one to check out! Do they stream, or if not, is there an SDR somewhere within reception range?

c
Listening to KDTH yesterday, and heard Johnny Cash 'I Walk the Line', and Tammy Wynette 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E'. Never heard that on ABM. I do like hearing Classic Country like that thrown into Adult Standards.

KABL was an ABM affiliate for about 3 1/2 years (called AM Only back then) when they quickly started in 1993 after Magic 61 came to end. That ended in 1997. I remember that from living in Sacramento at the time. There was also a South Bay competitor KKSJ Magic 1370 (now KZSF).at that time, that had a local presentation.

Listening to KDTH yesterday, and heard Johnny Cash 'I Walk the Line', and Tammy Wynette 'D-I-V-O-R-C-E'. Never heard that on ABM. I do like hearing Classic Country like that thrown into Adult Standards.
I've made a lit at some point of what I was hearing on WERT Van Wert, Ohio. Although I checked on them fairly recently and was told I was outside the area where I could stream, they didn't limit where they could stream, and I was hearing a number of Johnny Cash songs and even "The Race Is On" by George Jones.

c
Yes they do go to wdea.am

Back
Top Bottom