• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Colt Ford and Other Hick Hop Singers

Hick Hop, also known as country rap, gets quite a bit of airplay on Nashville 11, on XM Radio. I believe the best known artist in this music sub-genre is Colt Ford. Another such group being played there is the Lacs, along with a few others whose names I do not recall. Cowboy Troy was played on some stations a few years ago.
Are Colt Ford and other hick-hop singers played on a significant number of mainstream country stations? Is there a part of the U.S. where they are relatively popular? I have not heard them on country stations here in the northeastern U.S.
While I do not care much for Hick Hop, perhaps it serves a function of attracting some younger people to country music.

serves as a function for attracting younger listeners huh? perhaps at the expense of the term, country music. dont reckon most of these listeners will advance from that contrived jive, to alan jackson, anytime soon.

just when you thought country music(countrypolitan) couldnt get much worse...........

perhaps the late eddie rabbitt said it best, in his song C-RAP (COUNTRY RAP), track #6 from his 1991 album "ten rounds". ironically, this may be the first country song that raps, even though he was just making a mockery of it. although, some of them great CW Mccall songs like "classified", "four wheel drive" and "wolf creek pass" kinda rapped, but in a non urban way as well........

WPPCProductions said:
Thanks for reminding me .I have to take out the trash tonight.
Barry,Scott Salvatori, WPPCProductions... Thank You! for standing up for COUNTRY MUSIC... I was affraid that people were going to accept this nonsense that's going on in nashville... I have a promoter out of nashville really trying to push this HIC HOP garbage on us... From Colt Ford, Mikel Knight, and now the Lacs. They even tried a song by Jason Aldean's remix with Finness.
It's bad enough the business has allowed the rockers in the business... When i brought this situation up in another format, "Is It Country Or Not" i was told , it's all about the money...
KEEP IT COUNTRY!

Give me Minnie Pearl Roy Acuff,Kenny, Dolly,Loretta ,Conway,Tammy,and George Jones then any of that crap.I know and understand the younger demos dont like the old school country music like these legends as I just mentioned.I see Nashville has to attract the younger generation in order to survive these days.I'm glad I did got the taste of country music when I was a teenager in the 70's.Yes I was country when country wasn't cool. like the Barbara Mandrill song goes .Not to drift of the topic .As I was listening to a MP3 of the old Casey Kasems AT40 from Feb 27 1988,I've notice the direction of pop tunes were getting worse with the rap crap mixes.Yes the late Eddie Rabbitt hit it right on the nose.Also does any of you remember Bill Anderson's tune saying he's to country back in the time.

I'm not sure I HAVE it, but I do remember a song called "Too Country."

WPPC,

I didn't find "Too Country" by Bill Anderson, but there must be 10 LPs in the music library by him. One song I hadn't thought of in years is "Country D.J." on the "Every Time I Turn the Radio On"
album from around 1974. I also have some Bill Anderson/Jan Howard duets.

One song I can't find is "Four on the Floor" by Connie Cato. Anyone have a copy of that one?

Alan McCall said:
WPPC,

I didn't find "Too Country" by Bill Anderson, but there must be 10 LPs in the music library by him. One song I hadn't thought of in years is "Country D.J." on the "Every Time I Turn the Radio On"
album from around 1974. I also have some Bill Anderson/Jan Howard duets.

One song I can't find is "Four on the Floor" by Connie Cato. Anyone have a copy of that one?

Alan, Bill sings this song this song when he's on the Grand Ole Opry.Alan you can try Cowboy Milt's Music Mania for those tunes you memtioned.It seems like Milt has a big selection and he probably can look for you too.He helped me fill alot of holes in my music library which some were vacaned for over 30 years.

"too country", is a recently recorded song from around 2005 or so. this receieved airplay on the now defunct XM 10 America channel. bill anderson, also had a truckin song out called "me and him" from a few years ago, and it may be on that same album. this is all recent stuff, fellers!

WPPCProductions said:
Give me Minnie Pearl Roy Acuff,Kenny, Dolly,Loretta ,Conway,Tammy,and George Jones then any of that crap.I know and understand the younger demos dont like the old school country music like these legends as I just mentioned.I see Nashville has to attract the younger generation in order to survive these days.I'm glad I did got the taste of country music when I was a teenager in the 70's.Yes I was country when country wasn't cool. like the Barbara Mandrill song goes .Not to drift of the topic .As I was listening to a MP3 of the old Casey Kasems AT40 from Feb 27 1988,I've notice the direction of pop tunes were getting worse with the rap crap mixes.Yes the late Eddie Rabbitt hit it right on the nose.Also does any of you remember Bill Anderson's tune saying he's to country back in the time.

I think Barbara Mandrell should make a new song called "I Was Country When Country Was Country."

I happen to be listening to the original Casey Kasem's AT40 from march 8 1981 early this morning on my local station .The top two songs were no# 2 Dolly Parton's "9 to 5" coming in at no#1 is The late Eddie Rabbitt's" I Love a rainy night". others country tunes that sprincled the top 40 were Juice Newton's "Angel in the morning" at 36,Terri Gibb "Somebodys Knockin" at 33 .Ronnie Milsap's " Smoky Mountain Rain" at 24 and also Don McLean's crossover hit of Roy Orbison's "Crying" coming in at no7.1981 was a awesome year for country crossovers that were country.Will times have changed.

yep, a lot of our beloved artists have flirted with some lame pop production. especially in the early 80's. the only good thing to come of this is the fact that just maybe it drew a certain percentage of uncountryfied pop radio listeners to buy the album, or more of the artists catalog. hopefully, some even got learned to take a liking to the real stuff.

dolly parton, is the queen of mediocre pop/country cross over shlock in the 80's. but, i will always forgive dolly for goin pop! shes released so so much real hardcore country in the early/mid 70's, and her team up with porter before that was beyond great. even her 90's album "white limozeen" was a country masterpiece in my book. in fact, her recent bluegrass albums have been stellar as well.

The words "Country" and "Rap" should never be said together or thought of together..case closed!

rick12 said:
The words "Country" and "Rap" should never be said together or thought of together..case closed!

I agree. Country music's not what it used to be. I know people here have said the same thing over and over about music changes, yadda yadda, but there's still good real country music out there in the world. Too often though, programmers don't have the stones (or brains) to play it. Yes, you wanna make as much money as you possibly can, but do you really want to do it at the cost of keeping your music real? I say no, but that's just me.

EclecticInTexas said:
Too often though, programmers don't have the stones (or brains) to play it.

I'd suggest it takes a lot of stones AND brains to play music that's a little edgy, a little controversial, but also very popular.

The goal is to attract passion, and this music isn't wallpaper or boring. It attracts strong opinions, and lots of fans who are paying cash money to see Jason and buy his music. If it's not your personal taste, just wait three minutes, and something completely different will appear.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom