• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CMA Awards Up 10%

I think I once read that the first ever televised CMA awards ceremony was in the mid-1960's, was just an hour in length, and aired as a "special edition" of Jimmy Dean's then current variety show on ABC.

I think it was taped a few days in advance of broadcast and may have been edited down to an hour.

So far I've seen more real country music than usual.

Not only the medley of Loretta Lynn songs at the beginning, but also an original song by Carly Pearce.

And the winner for single of the year was "Til You Can't" by Cody Johnson. I decided to give him the benefit of the doubt and I was not disappointed.

Most of the nominees, though, don't sound all that country.

"Country On" has good lyrics but sounds too much like rock for me.

USA Today had social media numbers today. The CMA Awards were easily the most-discussed social media television topic of the week, outdistancing the two WWE shows and "Yellowstone."
But one reason the CMAs were heavily discussed on social media was criticism in light of the great tribute to Loretta Lynn there was no acknowledgement of the passings, let alone tributes to Olivia Newton John and Naomi Judd

But one reason the CMAs were heavily discussed on social media was criticism in light of the great tribute to Loretta Lynn there was no acknowledgement of the passings, let alone tributes to Olivia Newton John and Naomi Judd

The interesting thing is that Wynonna was a presenter for Vocal Duo, and the winners acknowledged all that then.

The interesting thing is that Wynonna was a presenter for Vocal Duo, and the winners acknowledged all that then.
Yes, the only real omission was Olivia Newton-John.

And there were other topics of conversation that could be classified as negative. Morgan Wallen's fans were outraged that their hero won nothing. The Zach Bryan crowd was upset that their hero wasn't on the show, or even nominated for anything. (He has since said he wants nothing to do with the awards, which could be interesting next year as he is well on his way to his breakthrough on radio with "Something in the Orange.") A significant number of female fans have been wondering when a woman will be named Entertainer of the Year, especially since Luke Combs, for all his talent, basically stands there and sings rather than puts on an elaborate show, in contrast to, say, Carrie Underwood.

But still, you can't deny that all these naysayers were not only watching the show, but watching it all the way through. And they'll be back next year to see if the CMA has heard their complaints. There really is no negative way to spin this. Country music has a growing, and engaged, fan base. For every griper, there were probably thousands of fans who loved the show and were happy that their favorites had performed a song and/or had won an award.

Last edited:
Yes, the only real omission was Olivia Newton-John.
Was she ever really country? "Please Mister Please", "If You Love Me, Let Me Know" and "Let Me Be There" are probably country enough.

I like most of her pop hits.
But still, you can't deny that all these naysayers were not only watching the show, but watching it all the way through. And they'll be back next year to see if the CMA has heard their complaints.
I fast forwarded through what I didn't want to see, such as Carrie Underwood.

There really is no negative way to spin this. Country music has a growing, and engaged, fan base. For every griper, there were probably thousands of fans who loved the show and were happy that their favorites had performed a song and/or had won an award.
I only want to see the good kind of country music.

Was she ever really country? "Please Mister Please", "If You Love Me, Let Me Know" and "Let Me Be There" are probably country enough.
She also had other hits that did better on country charts than pop charts such as “Let It Shine” and “Every Face Tells a Story.” This is from Washington Post, about her 1974 CMA award:
  • In October 1974, pop singer Olivia Newton-John won female vocalist of the year at the Country Music Association Awards. This was very controversial. “Some howled that country’s identity was being diluted by middle-of-the-road, homogenized country-pop,” reads an exhibit at the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum in Nashville.

Some howled that country’s identity was being diluted by middle-of-the-road, homogenized country-pop

The next year (1975) the winner of the CMA Entertainer was John Denver. After he announced the name, Charlie Rich pulled out his lighter and set the card with John's name on fire. People sometimes get passionate about their music. Meanwhile, the outlaw movement was setting up shop in Austin and over at Hillbilly Central on 19th Avenue S in Nashville. In 1976, Waylon & Willie released "The Outlaws."

Luke Combs commented at the end that the show was more country this year than it had been in a long time. I agree. I skipped over a number of songs which didn't really appeal to me but for some reason I gave Kelsea Ballerini a chance when she sang with Kelly Clarkson and Carly Pearce. There was no way anything involving Kelly Clarkson was going to be country, right? Well, it sure was. I didn't bother with Katy Perry, though.

Meanwhile the American Music Awards took place on ABC Sunday night, and ratings were down:

In the latest TV ratings, ABC’s presentation of the American Music Awards on Sunday night averaged just 3.3 million total viewers and a 0.6 demo rating, down sharply from last year’s early numbers (3.8 mil/1.0) to mark all-time lows.

In other words, the AMAs had about half of the audience of the CMAs.

My take is that it was a Taylor-fest. If you loved TS, then you wanted. Otherwise, there was football.

Country Aircheck reports that the CMA Awards TV show has revised its ratings to add the 7+ numbers from viewers who watched within 7 days of the actual show airing.

Updated figures for the 56th Annual CMA Awards show, which include a full seven days of viewing over linear and digital platforms following its Nov. 9 broadcast on ABC, has increased the audience size from the initial figure of 7.57 million viewers to 9.7m. Among persons 18-49, the rating increased from a 1.05 to a 1.78, both marking three-year highs, according to Nielsen.

Here's another article on the overall strategy around the CMA Awards across the various Disney platforms:

The success of a television event like “The 56th Annual CMA Awards” can’t be measured solely by overnight ratings anymore, not when nearly 23% of the show’s viewers come in the seven days after it airs. That’s just what happened with this year’s CMAs, putting the show’s multiplatform viewership at a three-year high of 9.7 million.

Here's another article on the overall strategy around the CMA Awards across the various Disney platforms:

I watched video of many of the performances on YouTube in the days following the awards show. And here it is nearly a month later and those clips are still showing up in the 50-song "mix" playlists that YouTube creates for me every time I'm using the service. Those numbers must still be adding up for Disney, too, right?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom