• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits vs Classic Top 40: What's the difference?

M

MN Maniac

Saw a post on ALL ACCESS JOBS today for a Promotions Coordinator at a Savannah cluster. "Soft AC; Classic Hits, Classic Top 40, Country, ROCK and ESPN" are listed as formats.

Both Classic Hits *and* Classic Top 40?

Obviously, there must be a difference to justify both stations in the same cluster. So, what is it? I've heard the two terms used interchangably when describing various songs?

Is there an "official" definition of each? Or is it a matter of personal opinion, much as the designation between "Adult CHR" and "Hot AC" was back in the 1990s?

Classic Top 40 = Stations that,no longer wanna be called "Oldies Stations"..........if it walks Like A Duck and It talks Like a duck.............guess what you still have webbed feet, just a little bit colder, now.

Classic Top 40: "Stormy" Calssics Four
Classic Hits: "Stormy" Atlanta Rythym Section

If we use the example of the Classics IV and ARS, I suppose the difference would be that the Classics IV version would be the one that was more traditionally aired over AM stations (you know, AM gold), while the ARS version would be the more "FM" version (think FM movie soundtrack, although it is probably not on that soundtrack album).

I think Classic Hits is Classic Rock adjusted for more female appeal.
Less hard rock, more pop rock. Makes sense. Most Classic Rock stations
are 80% male listenership.

Wow, seems like Radio has splintered off to match, the Current Billboard charts, which are to many to list. It was a lot simpler,back a few years , when there were just three singles charts, Top 100, Country and R&B.

I get a kick out of some of the new Billboard Charts:

Ringtone Chart -#1 Pink Panther Henry Mancini
Buzz 100 Chart(most discussed or blogged artists) - #1 (of course,who else) Britney Spears #2 - The Beatles
Hot Adult Top 40 (here you go Surfdude, for your female slanted format) - #1 Apologize (Timberlake)

Oh yes, let's not, forget the Canadian Hot I00 - #1 Low (Flo Rida featuring T-Pain)

The cut Low is #1 on 60% (Redundant) of the Billboard Charts, looks like it is time for Billboard to get back to fewer charts.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom