• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Classic Hits: Evolution or Revolution?

Could there be a ranking for only teen listeners (if that was even possible then), in the southern Orange County

There never was a "Southern Orange County" book.

LA metro teens Spring 1981 were ranked thus:

KMET
KLOS
KIIS
XETRA
KWST
KIQQ
KUTE
KGFJ

By Spring of 1983,

KROQ
KLOS
KMET
KIIS
KIQQ
XETRA
KGFJ
KDAY

David: XETRA AM or FM?

It's the LA book...

Arbitron lists XTRA and XTRA-FM.

This is XRTA (obviously, because Arbitron drops the "H" or "E" as a second letter of 5 letter Mexican call letters).

It's the LA book...

Arbitron lists XTRA and XTRA-FM.

This is XRTA (obviously, because Arbitron drops the "H" or "E" as a second letter of 5 letter Mexican call letters).

Okay, so Oldies' memory is on-target...The Mighty 690 was #4 in teens in L.A. in 1981.

I asked because 91X threw a strong signal over L.A., too...coming in like a local anywhere south of Mulholland.

There never was a "Southern Orange County" book.

LA metro teens Spring 1981 were ranked thus:

KMET
KLOS
KIIS
XETRA
KWST
KIQQ
KUTE
KGFJ

By Spring of 1983,

KROQ
KLOS
KMET
KIIS
KIQQ
XETRA
KGFJ
KDAY

This would be about right, by '83 and '84 XTRA 690 was heading downhill and ceased by 1984 sometime.

Okay, so Oldies' memory is on-target...The Mighty 690 was #4 in teens in L.A. in 1981.

I asked because 91X threw a strong signal over L.A., too...coming in like a local anywhere south of Mulholland.

Now getting teen numbers for San Diego could be interesting. Yeah, being 14 in 1981, do remember those TV ads or billboard signs mentioning B-100, 91X and Mighty 690 and K-Earth. Seems there was more San Diego market radio promotion in south O.C. than the L.A. stations, but I could be wrong. Funny, I could easily receive 99.1 KGGI in San Juan Capistrano too, which was my alternate, besides 690 back in 80-83. Great times!

Now getting teen numbers for San Diego could be interesting.

SD Spring 81 Teens

XETRA-FM
KGB
XHRM Tie
XETRA Tie
KPRI
KGB-FM

Spring 81 XETRA FM did not show at all in the LA book. XETRA was an also-ran with a 1.6 in 1981; while it ranked 4th in teens, the share was vastly lower than that of any of the three dominant stations in teens.

The Spring 2013 Arbitron for Joplin was released yesterday.

KJMK fell half a point, 11.0-10.5. In a market that size, that's margin of error stuff. They remain #3, and are closer to #2 than last book because the CHR, KSYN dropped more than a full point (12.7-11.6). Classic Rock KXDG is #4, moving 6.9-7.6.

More telling, KJMK's closest format competitor, KMXL, dropped 8.1-7.0.

Next book will be Fall 2013, which we'll see around the start of the year.

Got curious about this situation from five and a half years ago, so decided to take a look at how things are doing now. KJMK's approach still has them doing well (#2 with a 9.8). KMXL's ownership group no longer subscribes to Nielsen, so their numbers are unavailable.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom