• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cities hearing both East Coast and West Coast network feeds of some programs?

...in looking at the Los Angeles Times radio listings for December 7th, 1941, I found something that struck me as really fascinating -- whereas in 1938 only KFI would air Jack Benny's Jell-O Program from NBC Red at 8:30 PM Sundays, by the end of 1941 KFI would air the East Coast Feed production of The Jell-O Program at 4:00 PM and KECA (the Blue Network affiliate there) would air the West Coast Feed production at 8:30 PM. (Considering the complete blackout ordered up and down the West Coast that December 7th, due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, and many NBC affiliates in California, Oregon and Washington -- plus KGU in Honolulu, natch -- would be off the air as a result, did Benny and Company even bother with a West Coast production that night?) I've also heard that some East Coast CBS affiliates would also carry the West Coast Feed production of Glenn Miller's Chesterfield Moonlight Serenade, which would air in those areas at 10:45 PM ET (the East Coast feed being at 7:45 PM ET). This makes me curious -- exactly how widespread are the examples of such schedulings? Were there any East Coast NBC stations, for ex, that would carry the West Coast Feed of the serial version of Amos 'n' Andy?...

Ultimajock said:
...in looking at the Los Angeles Times radio listings for December 7th, 1941, I found something that struck me as really fascinating -- whereas in 1938 only KFI would air Jack Benny's Jell-O Program from NBC Red at 8:30 PM Sundays, by the end of 1941 KFI would air the East Coast Feed production of The Jell-O Program at 4:00 PM and KECA (the Blue Network affiliate there) would air the West Coast Feed production at 8:30 PM. (Considering the complete blackout ordered up and down the West Coast that December 7th, due to the attack on Pearl Harbor, and many NBC affiliates in California, Oregon and Washington -- plus KGU in Honolulu, natch -- would be off the air as a result, did Benny and Company even bother with a West Coast production that night?) I've also heard that some East Coast CBS affiliates would also carry the West Coast Feed production of Glenn Miller's Chesterfield Moonlight Serenade, which would air in those areas at 10:45 PM ET (the East Coast feed being at 7:45 PM ET). This makes me curious -- exactly how widespread are the examples of such schedulings? Were there any East Coast NBC stations, for ex, that would carry the West Coast Feed of the serial version of Amos 'n' Andy?...

I can't answer what aired that night, but it's worth remembering that KFI and KECA had the same owner...Earl C. Anthony. This may simply have been his way to fill airtime at no additional cost.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom