• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Cities 97 Format Tweak

CNRCambridge

Inactive
Inactive User
I listen to Cities 97 online every now and then, and I've noticed a shift to more of a Modern AC sound in the last day or two (similar to the evolution of a lot of Clear Channel AAA stations). In the last hour I've heard Andy Grammer and Bruno Mars. Maybe a move to pick up some 102.9 listeners?

Well something must be up. If anything, they might be going after those displaced listeners and possibly put a dent in KSTP-FM and upstart KTWN so they can protect KDWB now that the latter has the Top 40 realm all to themselves.

only1moore said:
Well something must be up. If anything, they might be going after those displaced listeners and possibly put a dent in KSTP-FM and upstart KTWN so they can protect KDWB now that the latter has the Top 40 realm all to themselves.

And let's not forget that the Current has been kicking their butts in the ratings for some time. I don't think CC would like to be beaten by a non-com NPR station.

Cities' cume is down 100,000 since the re-positioning to "discover new music." This was a poorly thought out strategy brought on by Current's getting lucky with a few panel members last year. I can picture the brains sitting around the conference table in a panic jumping on an idea that sounded good at the time. They should have slept on this one. As for the Bruno Mars, I'm scratching my head. What's the rationale?

They're playing Pink and the All-American Rejects? Wow! I thought Maroon 5 and Gavin DeGraw, artists Cities has played for quite some time, were pretty mainstream for a AAA station, but Pink and AAR are straight up pop. That's not a dig, either. Pink is one of pop radio's finest artists, and "Gives You Hell" is a great record.

This is almost certainly in response to KS95's resounding success and reads as proof that AAA stations don't need to expend all their energy trying to be too cool for the room. Even CHR/HAC artists can produce upscale, quality material that draws in audience you wouldn't grab by solely playing granola indie music. It looks like Cities had a nice January, and I hope they sustain that growth.

At one time they were KTCR-FM playing country music at the Northwestern School of Broadcasting building in south Minneapolis.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom