• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CHRONOLOGICAL LIST OF ALL MAINE RADIO STATIONS

Andy Taylor said:
1948 Feb29 WCOU-FM WAYU-FM WXGL-FM WCLZ-FM WCYI-FM WARX-FM 93.9 Lewiston
Was 93.9 ever WCLZ-FM?

No, WCLZ-FM was never on 93.9. The calls came to 98.9 immediately from WKXA-FM sometime around 1980-82. They had begun a format using the slogan "Colors 99" and I presume the calls where chosen to reflect that.

Thank you to JIBGUY for posting this list (and to all who supplemented it). I'm intrigued by the list of unbuilt AM CPs - especially the 10,000 watter in Caribou!

Nick Seneca

1975 Oct10 WEBI-FM 92.3 > 92.1 WSME-FM WCDQ-FM WPHX-FM Sanford
Was WEBI at 92.3?

That was my question too, because I worked there around 1986. It was WEBI when I first started, and I'm CERTAIN it was on 92.1 Shortly thereafter they changed format to classic rock, (I was still there- part-time) and my recollection says they were WCDQ by then.

Nick Gerard said:
I'm intrigued by the list of unbuilt AM CPs - especially the 10,000 watter in Caribou!
Nick Seneca

Yes, that station could have a slogan that has a double meaning: "We're #1 in Caribou!".

And thanks to eveyone who made corrections to my list. Future list will include the corrections. And I should have known that WCLZ was never on 93.9.

JIBGUY said:
---- 830 Lorring 10000w day / 1000w night
---- 890 Calais 1000w day & night
---- 990 Belfast 1000w day & night
---- 1120 Caribou 10000w day / 1000w night

Okay, maybe a dumb question but looking through the FCC database, these stations have no owners...........why?

Mainedude2007 said:
JIBGUY said:
---- 830 Lorring 10000w day / 1000w night
---- 890 Calais 1000w day & night
---- 990 Belfast 1000w day & night
---- 1120 Caribou 10000w day / 1000w night

Okay, maybe a dumb question but looking through the FCC database, these stations have no owners...........why?

Because they were never really stations, or even construction permits. They were inserted into the database as placeholders to prevent Canada from assigning stations to those channels.

Scott Fybush said:
Because they were never really stations, or even construction permits. They were inserted into the database as placeholders to prevent Canada from assigning stations to those channels.

Why in the world would the FCC do THAT? Canada has not been assigning anything new on the AM dial anywhere near Maine for quite a long time. There are plenty of abandoned AM freqs in eastern Quebec, in New Brunswick and in Nova Scotia that anyone from those places could pick from, instead of those non-owner FCC Maine inserts.... doesn't make sense, does it?

91 - - - WBQQ-FM 99.3 Kennebunk
There were a bunch of call letters applied for before WBQQ,don't know if any of them were ever used.WVCM,WKME and WJIB.
1992 Mar 2 WSEW-FM 88.5 Sanford
WSEW just moved to 88.7
1992 Oct - WXBB-FM WSHK-FM 105.3 Kittery
Also a bunch of calls applied for before WXBB.WYCD,WKCD, and WHIM
1997 - - - WXGL-FM WCLZ-FM WLOB-FM 95.5 Topsham
I have a copy of an article in the Press Herald saying that 95.5 would be coming on as WLLB.Pretty sure they signed on as WPME.
1946 - - - WMTW Portland defunct by 1950.
Wasn't this station on am 1490?

JIBGUY,thanks for posting this!

Andy Taylor said:
91 - - - WBQQ-FM 99.3 Kennebunk
There were a bunch of call letters applied for before WBQQ,don't know if any of them were ever used.WVCM,WKME and WJIB.
1997 - - - WXGL-FM WCLZ-FM WLOB-FM 95.5 Topsham
I have a copy of an article in the Press Herald saying that 95.5 would be coming on as WLLB.Pretty sure they signed on as WPME.
1946 - - - WMTW Portland defunct by 1950.
Wasn't this station on am 1490?
JIBGUY,thanks for posting this!

VERY interesting questions.....
Yes, two stations applied (and got) WJIB, after Oct 1989 when Boston's WJIB-FM dropped that callsign. One was that station in Maine, and the other was one on Cape Cod afterwards. Or maybe Cape Cod was first. Neither station actually used that WJIB callsign. Perhaps they had it just so some Boston station would pay them to release "WJIB". Didn't happen. - When I approached the callsign desk at the FCC by phone in July 1992, the woman in charge of callsigns tersely asked me "Are ya gonna really use 'em?"
---
Would be likely that 1490-Portland would have had WMTW calls before 1951. As 1951 would be a very late sign-on date for a graveyarder. Most of those went on anywhere from 1930 to 1949.
---
Oh yes! I remember a WLLB in the Brunswick area, as an assigned callsign.... I thought that was strange because it wan't owned by L.L.Bean.
----
Keep therse thoughts coming, everyone!

Big Ange worked with a guy named Danny Lennon. Danny liked to rip people off. He tried to screw me while working for him at WFAN in Mystic, CT. I took his ass to the state and they ordered him to pay me. Big Ange tried his best to intimidate me into dropping my claim, but I figured if worse came to worst I could outrun him. Dan Lennon went to jail for opening up a shop in the basement of the radio station where he took orders for Ginsu Knives and Bamboo Steamers and then never sent the product out. He got 2 1/2 years for it because it was the SECOND time he'd pulled that stuff.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom