• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chip-Reader Debit/Credit Card Machines

I know the deadline to switch debit/credit card machines with the chip-reader technology hasn't passed yet, but I was wondering how many places have them or doesn't have them.

In my area the following have the chip-reader technology:

1. Price Chopper Super Market
2. Walmart
3. Targert
4. Shoprite Supermarket
5. Riverbend Pizza (Local place)
6. Imperial Buffet (Local Place)
7. CVS

The following places in my area do not have the chip-reader technology

1. Dollar Tree
2. 7-Eleven
3. Burger King
4. Dunkin Donuts
5. Stop & Shop Supermarket*
6. Hobby Lobby**

*It's totally unbeliable that Stop & Shop does not have the chip-reader technology. They got the new terminals at all their stores, but the chip readers were never activated. In fact at the Stop & Shop I work at they installed the new terminals almost 5 months ago! I worked til 11PM that night. (They showed up to do the install at 9:45PM). That night the closing Front End Supervisor was giving me a ride home and we could not leave until 12:30AM because that's when the installers finished up. (The store closes at Midnite).

**Hobby Lobby had the chip readers at the location in Bristol, Connecticut since the store opened in October 2014. They were never activated.

Here's what I know in the Jackson, TN area. These stores do use chip readers:
Lowe's - I definitely know since I work there as a cashier part time.
Walmart
Kroger
Best Buy
Target

Stores that I THINK have the chip readers (I usually use my debit card here and it doesn't have a chip yet.):
Dollar General
Walgreen
CVS
K Mart

Most of the stores I haven't seen the readers in are locally owned, like the Food Rite stores in my area.

I don't know if this happens anywhere else but at Lowe's when someone comes through with a debit card with a chip they have to use the chip reader if they're running it like a credit card, but they still have to use the magnetic strip if it's run like a debit card. The chips are definitely a good thing because they're supposed to be more secure, but I still have problems with people who don't know how to use it.

Also, there is a scam that is going on with ads for "Lock Wallets" where they claim that people can use a scanner to read the cards with chips and get their card information. This is an absolute LIE. Cards with RFID might can be read, but this is not the same thing as the chips that are being put in cards now. I really don't know how the people who make these wallets are getting away with it. But then it's one of those "As seen on TV" items, so it's probably useless anyway. :rolleyes:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom