• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Chicago Radio Ratings Released 12-27-22

I know it’s not apart of the ratings but is Kankakee and LaSalle County apart if Chicagoland in your opinion? I know some of the local channels carry there coverage and you can hear most of the big radio stations on clear days crystal clear I’m just wondering your opinion.

I know it’s not apart of the ratings but is Kankakee and LaSalle County apart if Chicagoland in your opinion? I know some of the local channels carry there coverage and you can hear most of the big radio stations on clear days crystal clear I’m just wondering your opinion.
Nielsen (and Arbitron before them) defines counties to be part of a market based on the percentage of listening to stations within a particular market. So were the two counties mentioned to be predominant "Chicago" listeners, the counties would be added.

Prior to the PPM, Chicago had a group of counties that were not in the MSA but part of an expanded Total Survey Area. There are no TSAs for Metered markets now, so those counties are orphans of the new system. Diary markets can still have TSA areas.

Kenosha County seems kinda odd in the Chicago market. There is a heavy amount of Milwaukee listening there (It's within the Milwaukee TV market). WXSS Milwaukee's morning show for example takes large amounts of calls from there. However, WDRV also preforms extremely well because WWDV puts it's strongest signal there, since it was originally licensed to that area. I believe Nielsen attempted to remove it from the Chicago market about 5 years ago but there was an uproar.

They also have WKRZ FM in Wilkes Barre PA they are the number one station in that market and consistently gets between a 9.0-10.0 share which is almost unheard of . Their other CHR competition only gets into the 5s which is still good . But Audacy knows what to do when they want to . They just don’t always apply themselves lol.
Also KRZ is a heritage CHR. Hot 97 is not.

The Chicago market does not extend 75 miles out from downtown. The furthest town that I can find which is part of the Chicago DMA is Kinsman, Illinois - population 99. It is 70 miles to the southwest, and receives adequate coverage from LaSalle - and is also closer to Champaign than Chicago.

75 miles east will put you in South Bend, which is its own market.
75 miles north will put you in Milwaukee, which is its own market.
75 miles west will put you in Rockford, which is its own market.
75 miles southwest will put you in LaSalle/Peru, which is its own market.
Call it the total listening area, if you like. I'm not talking ratings (or dollars), but where you can hear or not hear the stations. Actually, you can hear Chicago FMs about 10 miles from Michigan's lakeshore on I-94, but the 50 kW AMs go on forever. Which, to bring us back to the start of this diversion, is a plus for WBBM.

Call it the total listening area, if you like. I'm not talking ratings (or dollars), but where you can hear or not hear the stations. Actually, you can hear Chicago FMs about 10 miles from Michigan's lakeshore on I-94, but the 50 kW AMs go on forever. Which, to bring us back to the start of this diversion, is a plus for WBBM.
But, I think the point is that the added coverage is not accompanied by added significant listenership.... in none of those peripheral markets is there significant or any listening to 670, 720, 770 or 890 for example. Each of those will show up occasionally with tiny shares in Rockford, Bloomington and even Peoria but none has consistent listening outside of the Chicago area.

There is a difference between "hearing" and actual listening.

I think adding NASCAR will give WLS a tiny boost in Rockford. They love their NASCAR out there. WLUV is now VCY as of recently. It's longtime owner passed on at 98. It was a long running NASCAR affiliate. Survived as a standalone for a long time, likely in very small part because of NASCAR and the Rockford Speedway. The FM was sold to Cumulus decades back.

Last edited:
I think adding NASCAR will give WLS a tiny boost in Rockford. They love their NASCAR out there
So, is WLS going to send sellers to Rockford to run Rockford-focused ads during NASCAR broadcasts? I really doubt it, because that represents minimal potential revenue.

I imagine NASCAR, or the local promoter of the forthcoming Chicago street race, is paying $$$ to WLS for this.

So, is WLS going to send sellers to Rockford to run Rockford-focused ads during NASCAR broadcasts? I really doubt it, because that represents minimal potential revenue.
Not only that, Rockford clients can buy Rockford radio stations for about 10% of what WLS would charge.

I imagine NASCAR, or the local promoter of the forthcoming Chicago street race, is paying $$$ to WLS for this.

In WLS' case, anything is good. Most of their weekend programming is brokered. You take racing off, listeners will revolt. Very passionate fans. Ask anybody who runs NASCAR on a station. That's potential listeners who might not otherwise listen to WLS. Many of them are Conservative. Not just in Rockford, but also neighboring more rural areas within the Chicago market. That audience, since many NASCAR fans tend to be Conservative could potentially stay tuned.

That’s not the point everyone is saying that they are going to flip B96 because of its piss poor performance. That’s not the case when other Audacy CHRs are doing terrible as well. They will not put sports on B96 all of our sports teams are lackluster, no one will listen to that. They flipped WNSH to make way for Audacys oldies format (same format as WBMX) because they were barely hitting 1.2 and they are trying to expand that particular format. In Los Angeles KNOU was on the low 1s getting there but kicked by KIIS FM which is in the mid 3s. They gave KNOU to KNX -
News in Los Angeles because it was more of a priority to have a news station similar how we have WBBM 780 on 105.9 on a FM signal. They did not have that before. That was a strong AM station and as you said before strong AM station “The Score” isn’t what I would call a strong AM station. WTDY in Philadelphia usually averages a 1.4 and WKXJ is averaging 1.3 . If low ratings was a concern for them they would blow up all the CHRs . They are only doing ones that are standing in the way of their oldies hip hop format or news. Audacy isn’t throwing stuff at the wall and trying to see what sticks they are going to play it safe .
B97 out here in New Orleans (where I live) isn't that great either but they tend to bring in some local music during the Saints and Mardi Gras season which is nice and refreshing because of their local PM drive. But lets be honest here, New Orleans is quite unique with its history.

I noticed WLMG, B97 and Bayou 95.7 tend to play songs for Mardi Gras that are unique to the market. They have for years. Something that could only work in New Orleans.

Kenosha County seems kinda odd in the Chicago market. There is a heavy amount of Milwaukee listening there (It's within the Milwaukee TV market). WXSS Milwaukee's morning show for example takes large amounts of calls from there. However, WDRV also preforms extremely well because WWDV puts it's strongest signal there, since it was originally licensed to that area. I believe Nielsen attempted to remove it from the Chicago market about 5 years ago but there was an uproar.
Unlike Kankakee and LaSalle counties in Illinois, Kenosha county straddles two metros. There's definitely an interest in both markets. It's very common for people to live in Kenosha county and commute to Illinois for work. On the flip side, it's also common for people to live in Kenosha county and commute to the Milwaukee area for work. It's one of those places where people will have Chicago radio station presets on FM 1 in their cars, and Milwaukee presets on FM 2.

Chicago is the larger market, and therefore draws more people to it. I think that's the reasoning to include it in the Chicago market.

I'm from Kenosha. From my experience most people listen to Milwaukee radio and WWDV is played in businesses all over town because of it's strong signal. 103.7, 100.7 and 99.1 are among the ones I hear most frequently. They are among the strongest Milwaukee market signals, although 100.7 was and still is technically a Racine-Kenosha station. I would have to see the breakdowns to confirm any of this, but I'm guessing if Kenosha County was shown alone in a ratings book, those signals would be Top 5

Back in the 70s and 80s before this was part of the Chicago radio market, the highest rated station here by far was 100.7 WRKR. Had a Top-40 format at the time. You can ask anybody of that age if they remember WRKR and their face will light up. I've tried it. It's amazing how much of an impact radio used to have on people.

As I recall, Pat Martin/Patrick Lopeman was the Manager of WRKR 100.7 for a while, before it became WHBT-FM, and was simulcasting with AM 1460 WHBT Racine, called "Heartbeat".

They moved 100.7 to the closest they could to Milwaukee under the old 73.213 rules and still put a 70 dBu contour over Racine and be 125 miles from 100.7 in Elkhart, IN as I recall, so they could be 50000 watts from 500 feet.

Pat Martin's first radio exposure was as a Teenage Guest Disk Jockey" on WLS in 1965.

I drove around the Racine and Kenosha areas a few years ago. Lots of people still had VHF Area Specials to get 2, 5, 7, 9, and 11 from Chicago, and 4, 6, 10, and 12 from Milwaukee. Some probably still do, though the Physical Channel VHFs are now few.

Last edited:
I'm seeing fewer OTA TV antennas. People have been streaming more. Since the repack, Chicago reception has been very bad. TV reception in general has been a mess. DirecTV, Dish and AT&T do not carry any Chicago stations. Spectrum still carries 2, 5, 7 and 32 in both Kenosha and Racine. They blackout 32 during certain programming.

Last edited:
I live in Kenosha and work in Waukegan. Between HD sidebands and Milwaukee translators dropped on Chicago frequencies, what should be, and traditionally were, perfectly usable Chicago signals have become largely unlistenable in Kenosha.

HD has trashed the band with the power increases. Particularly on first adjacents. And now the translators are making it worse. I noticed 101.1 was an absolute mess awhile back on the northside from a translator. That used to be one of the best signals around here except when WIXX would come in.

95.1 had an old Harris unit from the 80s that used to wipe out the lower end of the band with harmonics. They patched it up over the years, but at some point last year it was having harmonics up to 100.3. I told their corporate engineer and they completely replaced the transmitter, finally. Took months. It was very problematic for them over the years.

I heard a story at one point in the 80s, 96.9 was putting harmonics onto 96.3. CBS' engineer called 96.9's engineer in the middle of the night and told him to get out there and fix it or he would be reporting it to the FCC in the morning. They used to take this stuff seriously.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom