• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Channel 20 in Bishop, CA, Changes Call Letters from KBBC to KVME

Mastaclocksetta said:
This happened yesterday (April 9). The reason I post this here on the Los Angeles TV board is because Bishop is in Inyo County, which is included in the Los Angeles DMA.
...KVME is also seen OTA in Los Angeles on KNLA-LP and KNET-CA, and on the Dish Network and DirecTV local packages for Los Angeles...

As a kid who grew up in Bishop and started his broadcasting career there, this is just plain weird. I've heard of rim-shots, but 270 miles out of Los Angeles and they get a translator in Banning and carriage in the L.A. Metro on Dish and DirecTV?

A little history: Bishop (population 3,500) had no radio until 1953, when KIBS (1 kw day, 250 w night, AM 1230) signed on. And because of terrain (Bishop is in a 20-mile wide valley with 14,000 feet worth of mountains to the west and 11,000 feet worth to the east), there really weren't listenable out-of-market signals during daylight hours. There certainly wasn't TV. But at some point in the 1950s, someone fixed that by running cable all the way up the Owens Valley...bringing every TV signal (and, as a bonus, every FM signal) from Mt. Wilson. So you could see 2, 4, 5, 7, 9, 11 and 13. If you didn't want to pay for cable, 2, 4 and 7 were on translators, as was KOLO-TV, Channel 8, in Reno (then a CBS affiliate), which was eventually added to the cable lineup. But (until the 60s TVs that were all-channel) you had to buy a UHF set-top converter box.

The closest thing to a TV station was down at the cable office, where a stationary black and white camera was trained on a motorized board that had a clock, a round dial-type thermometer, a barometer and a wind speed meter mounted on it. It would spend 15 seconds on the clock, slowly turn, stop, and you'd spend 15 seconds looking at the temperature, and so on. When I left Bishop for the last time in 1976, that was still the only "local TV" in town and was the only "specialty channel" available.

Until this thread, I didn't know Channel 20 existed. I knew about 33 (KSRW), which I guess has been on the air for close to 20 years now. Are they getting satellite carriage in the L.A. metro, too?

Scott Fybush said:
KSRW is an LPTV signal and thus not entitled to must-carry. It could add repeaters anywhere it wants, but it would have to pay for them (just as KBBC/KVME did for its LA-market LPs).

Both KSRW and KBBC get mentioned in my Tower Site of the Week visit to Bishop that ran in January:

http://www.fybush.com/site-of-the-week-11312-bishop-california/

Great stuff, Scott. Apart from the equipment and some paint, the KIBS studio looks pretty much like it did when I worked there (1971-1974).

The history explains how Bishop ends up as part of the L.A. market, but it really doesn't make much logical sense. It's 70 miles closer to Reno than Los Angeles...and is remote enough to not necessarily require being connected to a larger market in the first place. Having L.A. media made the transition from Los Angeles to Bishop a lot easier for me as a kid when we lived there (and gave me great examples and inspiration as a young DJ/PD), but there's a major disconnect between the life you live there and what you see when you turn on the L.A. news.

michael hagerty said:
Scott Fybush said:
KSRW is an LPTV signal and thus not entitled to must-carry. It could add repeaters anywhere it wants, but it would have to pay for them (just as KBBC/KVME did for its LA-market LPs).

Both KSRW and KBBC get mentioned in my Tower Site of the Week visit to Bishop that ran in January:

Great stuff, Scott. Apart from the equipment and some paint, the KIBS studio looks pretty much like it did when I worked there (1971-1974).

The history explains how Bishop ends up as part of the L.A. market, but it really doesn't make much logical sense. It's 70 miles closer to Reno than Los Angeles...and is remote enough to not necessarily require being connected to a larger market in the first place. Having L.A. media made the transition from Los Angeles to Bishop a lot easier for me as a kid when we lived there (and gave me great examples and inspiration as a young DJ/PD), but there's a major disconnect between the life you live there and what you see when you turn on the L.A. news.

Isn't Bishop near where LA get some of its fresh water from. I Know LA gets a fraction of its water from the Delta in Solano and Sacramento counties and from Hoover Dam near Vegas.

recto101 said:
michael hagerty said:
Scott Fybush said:

Isn't Bishop near where LA get some of its fresh water from. I Know LA gets a fraction of its water from the Delta in Solano and Sacramento counties and from Hoover Dam near Vegas.

Recto: Yes. The Los Angeles Aqueduct has been funneling water out of the Owens Valley for nearly a hundred years.

KVME begins carrying ME-TV on April 30. KDOC 56.3 will simulcast KVME which becomes "ME-TV Hollywood" on that date. Unknown at this time if any local programs will originate from ME-TV Hollywood.

RadioFanBoy said:
KVME begins carrying ME-TV on April 30. KDOC 56.3 will simulcast KVME which becomes "ME-TV Hollywood" on that date. Unknown at this time if any local programs will originate from ME-TV Hollywood.
If history is any indication, the only "local" programming will be someone hitting the <Play> button on "Infomercial Loop Volumes 1 thru 48". That seems to be the only thing those high desert signals ever run.

On the fybush site in one of the pictures of KIBS is John Young. He was known as Johnny Dallas on country KWOW 1600 Pomona in the early 1960's.

Back to topic A, it appears that KVME is wiping out he following METV programming with paid religion every weekday between 5:30am and 8am:

Dobie Gillis
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Family Affair
My Three Sons

ercjncpr said:
Back to topic A, it appears that KVME is wiping out he following METV programming with paid religion every weekday between 5:30am and 8am:

Dobie Gillis
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Family Affair
My Three Sons

Ahh yes, here come the exceptions and they haven't even launched yet. This will balloon to 24/7 Godsquad/Informercial in the blink of an eye. I give it till the end of Summer when Wiegel will curse the day they ever went forward with this "deal".

Robnoxious said:
ercjncpr said:

Dobie Gillis
Beverly Hillbillies
Petticoat Junction
Family Affair
My Three Sons

Ahh yes, here come the exceptions and they haven't even launched yet. This will balloon to 24/7 Godsquad/Informercial in the blink of an eye. I give it till the end of Summer when Wiegel will curse the day they ever went forward with this "deal".

I hope not, but I fear that you may be right

So its 5 years later now, and recently the ME TV "Hollywood" ID changed from 20.1 (& KDOC 56.3) to 20.2, at least on DirecTV. I am out of the market, if 20.1 is the local OTA signal for the Los Angeles metro area, what is 20.2?

According to Wikipedia, 20.2 is silent.
Yes something changed in the last few months, at least with the feed they send to DirecTV now calling it KVME 20.2. I always wondered how a Bishop station made it to the L.A. Market and now I know that part but the 20.1/20.2 thing I still don't fully understand?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom