• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at WW1 Adult Standards

WIOZ's website bills the station as "America's Best Music." That would seem to indicate they're (still) with WW1.
I had a scare. I went to the beach this week and even though I have terrible problems with interference on the AM in my car, even when the problem cleared up as it sometimes does, nothing. And then for some reason I decided to check to see if I was actually on the station. I had forgotten to change it!

And I did hear Jeff. he's not the same on station IDs. Even the man on my station has more enthusiasm for "Unforgettable Favorites", which is what he did those station IDs for.

And speaking of Unforgettable Favorites, one more Bond theme. "Live and Let Die".

On the way home, I couldn't say for certain I heard Carl, though the woman was not on. He listed some artists, whoever he was. It sounded like he was saying what song just played, but then I realized that's not what that was.

I listen sometimes to 1490 WBAE The Bay in Portland ME, when I'm in New England. They run America's Best Music 24/7. For a couple of years, they tried an all-helpful Talk line up, Dave Ramsey, Clark Howard, Dr. Joy Browne. But a year or two ago, they returned to ABM. I thought it was the best radio around, driving through the Portland area or walking along the sea coast and docks listening to ABM. I notice "Chasing Pirates" by Norah Jones is in rotation. I love that song, even if it wasn't much of a hit. I can't imagine I'd hear it on any other radio station, except maybe in slow rotation on a few Adult Alternative stations.

A few weeks ago, I was in Portland and WBAE is still enjoyable. But I really do miss the DJs. As others have said, I still sometimes hear the DJs doing station liners. Once I heard "I'm Carl Hampton, with America's Best Music on 1490 The Bay." So those liners have not completely been deleted, yet. Mostly the station uses the network liners about how you can't hear this music anywhere else, etc.

As I said in an earlier post, I don't understand why Cumulus/Westwood One didn't do with this format what they've done with their other formats. If you have to save money by firing the staff who were exclusively working on these syndicated formats, why not get a few of the DJs already on your payroll on Cumulus stations around the country and have them spend a few hours a week voice-tracking the format? Or at the very least, have someone tag each song... "That's Christopher Cross with Arthur's Theme." "We heard Bette Midler and Wind Beneath My Wings."

I'm sure if Westwood One did that, many listeners might not mind the regular DJs are no longer there. At least there's a human voice telling them the song titles and artists. It could be done in a couple of days at minimal expense. Once done, it would last as long as those songs are still played. And maybe Westwood One would keep more affiliates. If ABM is just a juke box with no personality, some stations may decide to do the format themselves. But not take the care in choosing the music that ABM did.

Last edited:
It's happening in the Ocala/Gainesville area on Gold99 FM. They have dropped ABM and are planning to add DJs to the lineup in the near future. They claim the DJs will be live and local but as you said even if they are voice tracked it provides a bit of personality

It's happening in the Ocala/Gainesville area on Gold99 FM. They have dropped ABM and are planning to add DJs to the lineup in the near future. They claim the DJs will be live and local but as you said even if they are voice tracked it provides a bit of personality

Gold 99 premiered a female DJ this morning. Sounded very good, professional. Not sure if other dayparts are going to be manned.

The female voice that comes on most of the times Jeff or Carl would have is showing more peronality. She was even sort of laughing.

I've heard those liners. Some are a little goofy, but the voice is nice.

I guess this is no surprise, but the format is averaging one more song per hour now that there are no jocks.

That should be personality.

I was concerned about the music Monday. It was "normal" again. However, between 5:30 and 6, except for "Summer Breeze", it was more of a "standards" format than it has been in years, even in the past two weeks.

I definitely heard the woman laughing today. I think she said the music smells good, "the station not so much". Okay, that's going too far, I think.

The local station has some new station IDs to pair with her, but they're still using the old ones too.

I also noticed three songs instead of two between the required commercial break, where there were a few commercials and then an extra song (it must be my station adding a short song instead of running some of the commercials), and the optional commercial break.

I will no longer be able to report what America's Best Music is doing.

As of yesterday, WSAT Salisbury NC is oldies. The morning show may still be the same if the man who runs the station is the DJ, but they have changed. They're not even trying to sound like they did, although when other DJs have hosted the morning show, or played music before sports events, the music sounded like this. And some mornings when the requested songs were played by the usual morning DJ, but almost never like this. Also when the signal from Westwood One went out. I should have suspected this would happen.

The station is doing well, but that didn't mean it would necessarily stay with this format. I was worried it would change as soon as it was sold, and relieved when it didn't, but for whatever reason, it's different now. And that's a real shame. I hope there are others who are going to be mad at them. I won't listen in the kitchen any more, and the clock radio came on for Mike Huckabee anyway. I could move another radio to the kitchen, or listen where it is, to pick up Charlotte's standards station, which is better (it was Jones but did not make the transition to Westwood One, instead doing the same music from hard disk according to people on this site) even if the signal isn't good around here and non-existent at night. I can't get it in the car, or on any other radios in the house. Even that station is having to raise funds from listeners and I can only hope it will succeed. It had a simulcast partner for a while and I just wonder, since it's just simulcasting another co-owned station (Christian talk), why they couldn't go back to that now. Certainly they'd have a bigger potential audience if they did.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom