• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Changes at KTVK and KPHO

ftvlive is reporting that primary evening anchor Brandon Lee is leaving KTVK and that morning anchor Preston Phillips is leaving KPHO.

I'm definitely surprised to hear that Brandon was leaving. I actually thought he did a good job on the 3TV evening shows. I wonder if Jared will be promoted into his position.

As for Preston, I'm not surprised given that KPHO had seriously reduced his role on the morning newscast (they have essentially made Heidi the co-anchor with Yetta -- Preston almost seemed irrelevant). I'm just surprised that Preston is going to KOMO in Seattle as an evening anchor -- wasn't aware of an opening -- will have to go to Seatthe thread to see what's happening there. :)

I am not a close watcher of the local news programs on TV but can't help but notice virtually every day there are new faces on both 3 and 5 - street reporters. Is their news department (which is now shared by both stations as is my understanding) consisting of all part-time employees or are they all "stringers" (independent contractors)?

Channel 10 seems to have the most consistent stable of reporters in the Valley.

I am not a close watcher of the local news programs on TV but can't help but notice virtually every day there are new faces on both 3 and 5 - street reporters. Is their news department (which is now shared by both stations as is my understanding) consisting of all part-time employees or are they all "stringers" (independent contractors)?

Channel 10 seems to have the most consistent stable of reporters in the Valley.

I just checked the Fox 10 website. Out of the 8 reporters listed, I counted 4 whom I believe started in 2018. That said, I would agree that their anchors/weather/sports on-air teams are senior though. Only 2 started this year out of 17 -- pretty stable at Fox 10.

https://www.azcentral.com/story/ent...jXnvX4SrxNVPjXzIGvnrTKFDMV6aH03owYwiVtjCDOXME

Brandon Lee is leaving KPHO and KTVK.

Once anchor Brandon Lee announced he was leaving Channel 3, the messages and emails began pouring in.

“Thank you for not only being a terrific journalist but also a kind human being. You’ve shared a lot of your life story, been open and honest and true to yourself,” one reads. From another viewer: “I’ve watched 3TV my whole news-watching life, but there’s no one like you who is so compassionate and tells the stories in a way that is so special.”

And that’s just the tip of a very big iceberg that leaves the newsman feeling both humbled and surprised.

“When we’re entrenched in the crazy world of news that we’re all living in and experiencing in the industry, sometimes we forget the impact that we have on people’s lives,” he said during a phone call on Friday, Nov. 23, his last day on air for Channel 3 (KTVK-TV). “I just never realized how many lives I was actually impacting in such a positive way. I’m totally floored."

Two good articles on AZCentral. I thought Brandon did a good job. Didn't watch Preston much but seemed solid on the Noon News. Good luck to both

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom