• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS Launching Sports Radio Network

T4 In Rockwall said:
What does this mean for 105.3 The Fan. Do they retain all there or go full syndication?

That's a good question. They indicate 105.3 will contribute to the network, but they also indicate KTCK will be an affiliate.

The following CBS RADIO stations will add various components of CBS Sports Radio programming to their lineup:

•WFAN-AM (New York)
•WSCR-AM (Chicago)
•KRLD-FM (Dallas)
•KILT-AM (Houston)
•WJFK-FM (Washington, D.C.)
•WIP-FM (Philadelphia)
•WBZ-FM (Boston)
•WXYT-FM (Detroit)
•WSJT-FM (Tampa)
•WJZ-FM (Baltimore)
•WFNZ-AM (Charlotte)
•KDKA-FM (Pittsburgh)
•KHTK-AM (Sacramento)
•WKRK-FM (Cleveland)

The following CBS RADIO stations will broadcast CBS Sports Radio programming as their 24/7 lineup when the network debuts on Jan. 2, 2013:

•KIKK-AM (Houston)
•WIP-AM (Philadelphia)
•WXYT-AM (Detroit)
•WQYK-AM (Tampa)
•WJZ-AM (Baltimore)
•WBCN-AM (Charlotte)
•KRAK-AM (Riverside)
•KYDZ-AM (Las Vegas)

The following Cumulus radio stations in the Top 100 markets will broadcast CBS Sports Radio programming:

•KNBR-AM (San Francisco)
•KTCT-AM (San Francisco)
•KTCK-AM (Dallas)
•WCNN-AM (Atlanta)
•WGFX-FM (Nashville)
•WSJZ-FM (Orlando)
•WHGB-AM (Harrisburg/Lancaster)
•WJOX-A/F (Birmingham)
•WBBL-FM (Grand Rapids)
•WWLS-A/F (Oklahoma City)
•KNML-AM (Albuquerque)
•WMTI-FM (New Orleans)
•KARN-AM (Little Rock)
•WNML-A/F-WNRX-FM (Knoxville)
•KCUB-AM (Tucson)
•WWBU –FM (Roanoke)
•WTRX-AM (Flint)
•WLQR-FM (Toledo)
•WBGG-AM (Des Moines)
•WNKT-FM/WYMB-AM (Columbia, S.C.)
•WUMP-AM (Huntsville)
•WSKO-AM (Syracuse)
•KLTD-FM (Waco)
•WXSM-AM (Tri Cities)
•KCSF-AM (Colorado Springs)
•WZAT-FM/WJLG-AM (Savannah)

So the same programming could be aired on two different stations at the same time? Weird. I kind of wish CBS could by KTCK and just do away with the 105.3 staff and move KTCK to 105.3.

Bigger question to me is, what happened to Westwood One? Metro Traffic and Metrosource were stripped from it months ago when those divisions were sold to Clear Channel. WW1 is "managed" by CBS (I guess is still the case) so are they merely renaming the sports division, or doing away with their relationship with WW1 to strike out on their own?

You can bet that there'll be no crossover programming appearing at the same time over KTCK and KRLD/F. That would be written into the contract. The CBS O-and-O would get first choice...KRLD gets NFL while KTCK gets the Underwater Jai-Lai Championship games.

MikeShannon914 said:
Bigger question to me is, what happened to Westwood One? Metro Traffic and Metrosource were stripped from it months ago when those divisions were sold to Clear Channel. WW1 is "managed" by CBS (I guess is still the case) so are they merely renaming the sports division, or doing away with their relationship with WW1 to strike out on their own?

You can bet that there'll be no crossover programming appearing at the same time over KTCK and KRLD/F. That would be written into the contract. The CBS O-and-O would get first choice...KRLD gets NFL while KTCK gets the Underwater Jai-Lai Championship games.

Dial Global bought out Westwood One....Dial Global is launching their own sports network with NBC. That was announced two weeks ago. So they may have been tipped off about this announcement. This seems to be more legit then NBC's "3-5 years" commitment to aa new 24/7 sports radio network.

Kent said:
They indicate 105.3 will contribute to the network, but they also indicate KTCK will be an affiliate.

It seems very unlikely that KCTK will be affiliated in any way.

Who is "they?" What is your source?

cousintim said:
Kent said:
They indicate 105.3 will contribute to the network, but they also indicate KTCK will be an affiliate.

It seems very unlikely that KCTK will be affiliated in any way.

Who is "they?" What is your source?

I saw a separate article that listed the full-time and part-time affiliates as well as the Cumulus-owned partner stations and KTCK was on the list.

Why is "sports network" radio a big deal all of a sudden?

This kills those predictions of The Fan flipping, for now. It will be very interesting to see how this could potentially effect programming around here. Since The Fan is CBS o&o could they be required to air a certain amount of daytime network programming, like ESPN does? This could be bad news for some of those lowly rated shows. And could there be an effect one way or another on the idea of luring any possibly disgruntled Ticket personnel?

On a different note, obviously The Fan will drop Fox. Wonder if The Ticket would pick them up and drop Yahoo Sports (formally known as Sporting News). But it probably doesn't really
matter to them.

Just saw radio columnist Jerry Del Colliano's topic for today: CBS and Cumulus partner to create radio sports network.

So there's your KRLD/F & KTCK connection. Wow, you just never know who you'll wind up in bed with.

This, along with NBC/Dial-Global's sports network...is *this* what the corporations think is going to save radio? Sporting events wall-to-wall on every channel? Like we don't have Sirius/XM to cover the most-coveted sports, PLUS all the thousands of sports channels and sports PPV's on TV already? Fits the beancounter model, I guess--the network pays for the talent and keeps the lion's share of the spots, and the individual stations whore out the few avails to the dollar-a-holler crowd, gives the salesman 9% and the board op $7.75 an hour. Wow, you could run this kind of operation out of a closet, huh. Fox and Dial could do LMA's on erstwhile AM's around the country so they'll have a way to compete. Then there's offshoots like ESPN Deportes. How about 8-10 sports stations in one market?

In 5 years, they'll be scraping for anything "sports" to air...maybe golf, darts and poker on the radio. The networks will eat each other by getting into bidding wars over the major leagues of each sport. (Remember, that's how XM and Sirius ended up merging...all that wasted money trying to outbid each other for NFL and MLB games broke them both.)

MikeShannon914 said:
How about 8-10 sports stations in one market?

Houston will have five SportsTalkers when CBS Sports Radio launches. :eek: And if the new NBC Sports Radio gains a H-town affliliate, there will be six. ::)

Face it, most radio is aimed at females. Obviously programmers have come to the conclusion that SportsTalk is a proven way to reach 25-54 males. There's only so much stale Classic Rock that a guys ears can take. :D

Mediafrog+ said:
MikeShannon914 said:
How about 8-10 sports stations in one market?

Houston will have five SportsTalkers when CBS Sports Radio launches. :eek: And if the new NBC Sports Radio gains a H-town affliliate, there will be six. ::)

Face it, most radio is aimed at females. Obviously programmers have come to the conclusion that SportsTalk is a proven way to reach 25-54 males. There's only so much stale Classic Rock that a guys ears can take. :D

Frog, you're one short. Houston will have six with KIKK launching CBS Sports Radio. KILT/KIKK as CBS' 2 sports stations, then the 2 offerings from David Gow's Yahoo Sports @ ESPN 97.5 and 1560, then Fox Sports on 790 and ESPN Deportes on 1180. If NBC launches here in Houston that would make 7. Now that's what I call oversaturation.

I cannot think of one thing I'm less interested in than Houston sports. I'd rather watch Rosie O'Donnell's hysterectomy.

Frog, you're one short. Houston will have six with KIKK launching CBS Sports Radio. KILT/KIKK as CBS' 2 sports stations, then the 2 offerings from David Gow's Yahoo Sports @ ESPN 97.5 and 1560, then Fox Sports on 790 and ESPN Deportes on 1180. If NBC launches here in Houston that would make 7. Now that's what I call oversaturation.

You're counting AM / FM simulcasters as double. They really have three and NBC (which I didn't know was still a radio network) would make four.

And you're assuming Gow will be simulcasting 1560 and 97.5, which is almost definitely not the case.

Triple Fake Jerry said:

You're counting AM / FM simulcasters as double. They really have three and NBC (which I didn't know was still a radio network) would make four.
jd said:
And you're assuming Gow will be simulcasting 1560 and 97.5, which is almost definitely not the case.
Um...no, I'm not counting any simulcasts...as there are none, and I'm not assuming a simulcast of KGOW and KFNC. We will have 6 different sports stations in this market with the addition of KIKK. If another station takes on the NBC sports package we would have 7.

KILT-Local CBS Sports Radio
KIKK- National CBS sports radio
KBME- Clear Channel's FSR
KGOL- ESPN Desportes
KFNC- ESPN
KGOW- Sporting News Radio (Y!SR)

That's 6 different sports outlets in one market. No simulcasting whatsoever. Rosie O'donnell's hysterectomy... :eek: I think I threw up a little in my mouth.....funny guy. Very funny. How'd the Mavs title defense go this year? ;D

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom