• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBS 2 and KCAL 9 rebrand as "KCAL News".

I'm not surprised. KCAL has been the stronger brand for decades over KCBS and CBS 2. Launching that three-hour block of primetime news in 1990 probably did help them in the process too.

Why is CBS even simulcasting on channel 2. Why don’t they just fill channel 2’s formerly
separate news time with syndicated drivel?

Yes here is the CBS News Los Angeles opening and it resembles the one the Bay Area CBS affiliates uses when they started in December.

Here is CBS kicking off the Brand for KPIX San Francisco. Note this is part of a ploy to emphasize the CBS News streaming app and the local Paramount owned stations like KCBS, KOVR, KPIX are there.

Oddly Enough the CBS Duopoly in Detroit like WKBD and WWJ was originally going to be the first ones to use those graphics to launch CBS News Detroit.

Last edited:
I think a true trend is more newscasts in many larger markets. But the repetition of stories remind me of tight top 40 radio formats. Just keep recycling songs (or in this case stories). So what you get is a 4 pm story repeated at 5pm, and 6 pm in some cases.

I think a true trend is more newscasts in many larger markets. But the repetition of stories remind me of tight top 40 radio formats. Just keep recycling songs (or in this case stories). So what you get is a 4 pm story repeated at 5pm, and 6 pm in some cases.
As a news junkie, although I enjoy in depth news I also enjoy the former CNN Headline News format and think it makes sense locally.

It's only repeated if you watch for all those hours. TV tune-in times are getting more like radio, until prime-time, when people settle in.

I understand that. Most watch for short periods. Those who watch during a 1-2 hour cycle will quickly start to see repeated stories. So if the goal is to create longer viewing, it simply doesn’t work. But perhaps big markets accept that the audience is turning over at a quick rate it really doesn’t effect ratings.

KCAL should moved the 4pm cast to KCBS in line with KYW, WJZ, WCCO, KTVT, and KDKA i somehow wished

KCAL should moved the 4pm cast to KCBS in line with KYW, WJZ, WCCO, KTVT, and KDKA i somehow wished
And move it from the stronger KCAL to the weaker KCBS? Okay, sureeeeeee.

I don't like the execution of the "KCAL News" brand...it should be consistent all the way around, like with the rest of the CBS O&O group. CBS News Los Angeles on KCBS and KCAL, period. I don't give a rat's ass about KCAL being the "stronger" brand, like some "experts" are parroting here. Some people are already confused about seeing "KCAL News" on KCBS, if you read their social media sites. They need to re-think this branding strategy over in Studio City.

I don't like the execution of the "KCAL News" brand...it should be consistent all the way around, like with the rest of the CBS O&O group. CBS News Los Angeles on KCBS and KCAL, period. I don't give a rat's ass about KCAL being the "stronger" brand, like some "experts" are parroting here. Some people are already confused about seeing "KCAL News" on KCBS, if you read their social media sites. They need to re-think this branding strategy over in Studio City.
KCAL News on CBS Los Angeles and CBS News LA does kinda work. But are we left without the channel 2 and 9 position on the news branding?

KCAL News on CBS Los Angeles and CBS News LA does kinda work. But are we left without the channel 2 and 9 position on the news branding?
This is a move toward non-broadcast branding---for audiences who access the news product online, where channel numbers are irrelevant. It's why it's NBC Los Angeles instead of NBC4. But this takes the CBS brand out of the equation---and that's huge and a bit disorienting for those of us who've been around a while.

Yep things are, and have been changing with marketing news for awhile now. Using one brand produces clarity. But only if the brand is already strong. In the KCAL case, this is true. Only those 60 plus will miss the KCBS brand. Hell, I am over 60 and remember when they were KNXT! Those were the days in LA news in the 70’s and 80’s. If it bleeds it leads!

Last edited:

What does that mean in today's context when all of the Paramount owned stations have their 24 hour local news operations from inside the CBS News App on their TV's. Channel 2 and Channel 9 has no meaning in this decade given that TV's made in this decade require Wifi signals.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom