• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

CBC shuts down daily time signal

A Kansas City Star article from 1997 identified the voice as that of a WAGA-TV Atlanta meteorologist, John Doyle. The equipment for the service was provided by Audichron USA, also of Atlanta. Time and temperature were both given. The recordings of Doyle's voice were digitized and sent "by modem" to Kansas City. The system kept time internally. The Star article said the service received more than 100-thousand calls a day.

Edit: I found another Star article, this one from 2002, indicating that the service would be shut down November 18 of that year. It stated that the time was synchronized to a NIST atomic clock in Boulder, Colorado (I believe this should have referred to Fort Collins). It had been in service for 53 years at that point and was still getting 70-thousand calls a day. The equipment, apparently the same equipment as described in the 1997 article, was described as obsolete and costly to upgrade.
The actual NIST atomic clock is indeed in Boulder. The WWV transmitter is identified as "Fort Collins," but it's actually in Wellington.

The actual NIST atomic clock is indeed in Boulder. The WWV transmitter is identified as "Fort Collins," but it's actually in Wellington.
I remember when WWV was in Greenbelt, Maryland. Somewhere I have the serial-numbered QSL I got for my reception report on its signal during its first few days in Colorado.

Smart guy. :p:p:p

Seriously, I'll have to go looking for it sometime since it's probably about an hour away from me now, as long as it's a safe distance from the National Black-Footed Ferret Conservation Center.

I remember when I got a shortwave radio, maybe 50 years ago, there were several time signal stations that I could hear. It was just a small, portable, AM-FM-SW receiver. I was in New Jersey.

I'd hear WWV fairly regularly, and once or twice WWVH from Hawaii came in. Then there was also a Canadian time signal station. And once I think I got Cuba's time signal station. That was a surprise. Why would Cuba have such a station?

And once I think I got Cuba's time signal station. That was a surprise. Why would Cuba have such a station?
The same reason any other nation might have one, such as Canada.

In much of the Caribbean, WWV has bad signals on all bands in North American summer, so nations there needed their own time signal. In fact, signal issues are why WWV has a transmitter in Hawaii.

I regularly hear WWV and WWVH on the same frequency at the same time. I've somewhat regularly heard BPM un or on top of WWVH on 10 or 15.. and sometimes but rarely, all alone.

I even once had WWVH, BPM and PPE all on 10mhz once a few years ago from my other alaska QTH

BPM China, JJY Japan ... I think I heard JJY a few times, but BPM was elusive. Are either still around?
And commercial station XEQK in Mexico City, with a time check every minute and 11 five-second ads each minute.

1697089174785.jpeg

XEQK 1350 AM, synchronized with the National Observatory. I took this picture in 1963 when living in Mexico City. .

And commercial station XEQK in Mexico City, with a time check every minute and 11 five-second ads each minute.

View attachment 5840

XEQK 1350 AM, synchronized with the National Observatory. I took this picture in 1963 when living in Mexico City. .
What aired between the time checks besides the occasional ads? News headlines, like Radio Reloj in Cuba, or just ticks or beeps? BPM and JJY broadcast only time and beeps, I believe.

Thankfully, someone posted the time signal on YouTube.

This is from CBC Winnipeg on June 17, 1995 at noon CDT (1:00 pm EDT).

Dang the TOH about time signal has been a part of radio history in Canada. I always thought when I heard these sounds it's to signal to everyone that the TOH Radio Network News break is getting ready to go on the air. I had no idea it's to sync clocks to atomic time as seen in the OP.

Last edited:
Dominion Observatory Canada. I used to set my watch to that thing. 7335khz IIRC. 10kw from a site at or near Ottawa, also IIRC.
They moved to 7850 kHz in 2009, which sucks because it's outside the range of the 41M band on most cheaper shortwave radios that don't have continuous tuning. The power was also reduced from 10 kW to 5 kW due to complaints of interference.

Back
Top Bottom