• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Carolina Gold

What are your thoughts on the new Carolina Gold in Myrtle Beach? Sounds pretty good to me with some area jocks and music that had disappeared from the dial for the most part.

I know the guy who owns it, he also owns Westmoreland Gold outside of Pittsburgh and "Gold" WHGM, Havre De Grace, MD. Carolina Gold had to rebuild after a fire. Steve seems to do a great job. He owns a couple of radio news networks as well. There's an example of putting money where mouth is.

If Fiona cooperates and nothing else goes wrong I'm going to Myrtle Beach tomorrow. I expect to have some additional comments for this thread when I get home.

Lots of additional comments, in fact.

I'm going to go ahead and explain here how I ended up listening to WGLD in the car the whole time I was at the beach, even though it goes off-topic. Then I'll add my thoughts and some information that hasn't been reported here.

I thought about creating a topic for this but the problem has been solved. Maybe someone will read this who knows what happened. I decided WEZV has changed to the point I could once again listen to it all the time in the car, changing stations when there is a bad song. Plus I needed something to listen to in the area east of Charlotte before America's Best Music on WIOZ is listenable. I switched to WEZV when I thought I would be able to hear it but I was getting other stations. I never did hear where any of them were. One was Christian. One had locally oriented programming and they were doing something like Happy Birthday. In Bennettsville I happened to turn to 105.9 again even though WRBK was clear by that time. Actually, WRBK has a listenable signal even in NC, as I found out since I went ahead and changed to that with the FM button I wasn't using, which was good news on the way home.

And 105.9 was as clear in Bennettsville as if it was there. It isn't usually. All the way from Hamlet to Marion there is a weak signal from WJMX blocking WEZV. But it wasn't weak on Monday. In Marion I switched back because I would be picking up WEZV soon. Or so I thought. Clay and Buck (Rush's replacements) were still on for the longest time. They were interesting, so I mostly stayed with them. I can't say what they were talking about, but it was weird to hear after not listening to conservative talk much. Still there at SC 22. Still there in Aynor. I realized I could turn to 100.7 and it was fine. Then interference (on another occasion I found out that was WRDU in Raleigh), so I changed to WGLD. WEZV was back when I turned on the radio in my motel room, and I heard it all the way to Marion on the way home. Even though there is the occasional bad song, it's closer to what I really want.

WGLD isn't as good as I was hoping, but I stuck with it even when the songs were bad. There are some really good songs, though. And some new developments this year. 93.7 in Georgetown is now simulcasting. I don't know if any of this is new, but WGLD plays 60s at 6, and it was announced Wolfman Jack is on weekends. There is an occasional voice which acts like he is local. There's lots of energy in the station IDs and descriptions of what they do. And every few minutes they say "turn so you won't burn."

I wish there was more Beach Boys and less of what really seemed like loud rock. But several songs I heard on Monday could be on standards radio, and I even heard one that is more likely to be found on standards than oldies.

There are a few advertisers. Don't end up in a pauper's grave! Plan for your funeral. Also, we can deal with your pain.

And now they have a new overnight on air guy ;=)

I was previously on sister station WHGM Gold in Maryland and will end up back there overnights at some point in addition to Carolina Gold and its possible I could end up on Westmoreland Gold overnights in metro east Pittsburgh, PA

I am a fan of this music and was a fan of WHGM (Steve's first station) long before I worked there. I'd listen to WHGM in my earbuds on my Iphone every day on my walk to work in Wyoming. And Carolina, just like WHGM.. sounds good, tight, bright, the tiniest bit of echo, good processing and good imaging from Tom Lawler.

And now they have a new overnight on air guy ;=)

I was previously on sister station WHGM Gold in Maryland and will end up back there overnights at some point in addition to Carolina Gold and its possible I could end up on Westmoreland Gold overnights in metro east Pittsburgh, PA

I am a fan of this music and was a fan of WHGM (Steve's first station) long before I worked there. I'd listen to WHGM in my earbuds on my Iphone every day on my walk to work in Wyoming. And Carolina, just like WHGM.. sounds good, tight, bright, the tiniest bit of echo, good processing and good imaging from Tom Lawler.
I follow Steve on Facebook and he does have his share of frustrations and headaches with ownership. Definitely not all fun

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom