• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can't Tell The Players Without A Scorecard

Not sure if this happens in other markets but here in Phoenix we had a very unusual situation today.

KTVK (3TV), a local independent, carried the NASCAR race from Bristol which was being broadcast by NBC (at least the screen had NBC's logo and not their sports channel). 3TV is a co-owned duopoly with KPHO (CBS5) which is a CBS affiliate. During the broadcast there were several promos featuring upcoming events on NBC and it was evident some national spots were being overlaid with local spots....but not all.

And on a slightly different subject 3TV announced they will be firing up an 8 o'clock evening news show beginning early September. I'm guessing they are spending too much on syndicated programs now. They already have a 9 o'clock news program so not sure if this new show just tacks an hour onto the existing program or they drop part of the later show. At least now you will be able to see car wrecks and apartment fires several times per day without changing channels.

What did the local NBC affiliate run during that time? It's possible the NBC affiliate had to run another live local sports event, and thus handed this off to the indie station. That happens from time to time.

In fact, I just saw the preceding thread. Read the last post. The NBC affiliate was running pre season football:

http://www.radiodiscussions.com/sho...ffilliates-KPNX-12-Phoenix-and-KTTU-18-Tucson

I have no clue who (KPNX? Corporate Tegna? NBC?) made the decision, but I'm surprised that the race wasn't moved to 12.2 or 12.3 instead of being given to a competitor. Given that the KPNX subchannels aren't aired on satellite, my guess is that NBC made the decision for them.

Given that the KPNX subchannels aren't aired on satellite, my guess is that NBC made the decision for them.

Do you mean NBC offered the race to KTVK/KPHO and they graciously accepted it? What other coercion would NBC have over 3TV/CBS5?

Do you mean NBC offered the race to KTVK/KPHO and they graciously accepted it?

No...NBC needed the race cleared live in the market, and it was up to the affiliate to make the deal with the indie station.

The affiliate made more money with the football game, and the indie station made more money with a Nascar race than with whatever movie they would normally have run. Win-win.

Last edited:
Do you mean NBC offered the race to KTVK/KPHO and they graciously accepted it? What other coercion would NBC have over 3TV/CBS5?

NASCAR in Phoenix? Meredith would be idiots not to accept.

The affiliate made more money with the football game, and the indie station made more money with a Nascar race than with whatever movie they would normally have run. Win-win.

You haven't watched Phoenix TV in years. I cannot remember the last time a network affiliate station here ran a movie. We used to have network movies every Saturday evening. That stopped. Then, every once in a while one of the "primary" locals would run a movie. Don't see that any longer either. Now it is only the digi-nets that run movies - usually interspersed with enough commercials, usually the same one, to drive you crazy.

You haven't watched Phoenix TV in years. I cannot remember the last time a network affiliate station here ran a movie. '

We're not talking about a network affiliate.

So what did the Nascar race replace on the indie station? Syndicated programming? Infomercials? I doubt it was anything with the potential audience of Nascar.

BTW tonight, NBC will be airing a movie called Beautiful. To say no one runs movies anymore is false.

We're not talking about a network affiliate.

I was. Lots of digi-nets run movies. On some it is their primary purpose. Of course, the movies are either old or not anything close to first run.

So what did the Nascar race replace on the indie station? Syndicated programming? Infomercials? I doubt it was anything with the potential audience of Nascar.

Nothing that airs on KTVK has NASCAR potential (although I wonder if the TV audience seems to be slipping as badly as the local venue attendance). Lots and lots of empty seats in Bristol last night - a venue that used to pack 'em in year after year.

BTW tonight, NBC will be airing a movie called Beautiful. To say no one runs movies anymore is false.

Won't be showing in Phoenix. I can only comment on my local market.

You haven't watched Phoenix TV in years. I cannot remember the last time a network affiliate station here ran a movie. We used to have network movies every Saturday evening. That stopped. Then, every once in a while one of the "primary" locals would run a movie. Don't see that any longer either. Now it is only the digi-nets that run movies - usually interspersed with enough commercials, usually the same one, to drive you crazy.

Back in the day, the radio spots for KUTP would be for whatever movie they'd air that night... "now, with fewer commercial interruptions! KUTP-TV-45, Your Movie Station!"

Still, we'd all refer to KUTP as "Cut-Up" as all they'd ever air was cut-up movies (and Suns games).

I don't think KUTP has aired anything of interest to me after losing the Suns.

Back in the day, the radio spots for KUTP would be for whatever movie they'd air that night... "now, with fewer commercial interruptions! KUTP-TV-45, Your Movie Station!"

Still, we'd all refer to KUTP as "Cut-Up" as all they'd ever air was cut-up movies (and Suns games).

I don't think KUTP has aired anything of interest to me after losing the Suns.

KUTP ran a lot of movies during their first five years or so of operation because most of the most recent off-network shows were picked up by KPHO, then KNXV. They also had much of the older shows picked over, too.

Most recently, up until about seven or eight years ago, 5 and 15 would run a couple of syndicated movies instead of network reruns, primarily on Saturday nights. "Make-good theater." 5 still pre-empts network shows on occasion on Saturday nights for infomercials or "Operation Smile" fundraisers.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom