• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can translators simulcast Internet radio streams?

I am not sur eif this is the right place for this, but just curious, with all the repitition on the dial, and translators clogging up with the same format, is it possible for translators to simulcast a broadcast that's not on the dial, i.e. Internet radio or podcasts?

nope. considered originating programming.

jukebox radio tried something similar.

he got a station in upstate ny and daisy chained translators all the way back to the nyc area and got fined under the origination rules.

because his studio was in montclair nj

Dr_Johnnie_Fever said:
nope. considered originating programming.

jukebox radio tried something similar.

he got a station in upstate ny and daisy chained translators all the way back to the nyc area and got fined under the origination rules.

because his studio was in montclair nj

Okay, say if this stream was based in the area where the transmitter is, for example the studio in montclair, nj, and the transmitter being in bloomfield, nj.

a translator need to relay the programming of a ***LICENSED*** AM, FM, or LPFM

although in my mind i think the radio jukebox outcome was not legal, because he was going thru a licensed fm station, although he may have done some originating directly to the translator which i think is what made it a closed case.

but anything other then relaying a licensed station is not legal for a translator or booster station.

read that fcc link about translators it should do a good job of explaining translators.

d21ofNJ: As Josh said, "The answer is NO!"

But, here is the other side of the coin. We are running out of open slots on the dial to put new ones. People who currently own translators are finding people knocking on their door wanting to buy. I forget the number but in the last two days I read somewhere that someone was purchasing a translator license for either $150,000 or $200,000.

If the FCC changed the rule and said yes, would your wallet be able to say yes?

d21ofnj said:
Okay, say if this stream was based in the area where the transmitter is, for example the studio in montclair, nj, and the transmitter being in bloomfield, nj.

See 74.1231: http://edocket.access.gpo.gov/cfr_2009/octqtr/47cfr74.1231.htm

The way I read this, in certain circumstances a translator *can* use an Internet stream, *BUT* that internet stream must be a simulcast of an actual over-the-air radio station.

The way I read it, there are two such circumstances:

1) The translator is a "fill-in translator" -- the translator's coverage area is contained within the predicted coverage area of the station being rebroadcast.
2) The translator operates in the 88-92MHz band. (and thus is relaying a non-commercial station. There are some additional showings that must be made.)

I don't knopw what kind of power that particular translator offers but most aren't worth more than 25 K. Most don't penetrate into buildings, they have huge interference from powerful station miles aways, and people may not tune to them knowing their signals are generally speaking, hollow.

We use one & it does a good job for us but many are inadequate. josh

josh said:
I don't knopw what kind of power that particular translator offers but most aren't worth more than 25 K.

W257CI Athens, GA 1 (as in ONE) watt $250,000.00 filed with FCC 01/20/2010

Check out TAYLOR ON RADIO-INFO, column for Friday 01/22/2010 for a rather colorful explanation.

I think, presently, if you could get deal with a local HD multicast station, you could put your stream on the HD-2 and rebroadcast the HD-2 over an analog translator. This is really ideal if you already own the translator.

Probably an expensive proposition, but a legal one.

WJUX daisy chained its translators. They had a translator on 94.3 somewhere between the 99.7 and 103.1 sites, and 103.1 picked up 94.3.

Of course, when WJUX was on the air, HD radio did not exist, so they had to use the loophole of daisy chaining translators. Now with HD radio, they could have just leased airtime on an HD2 or HD3 across the river and translated that.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom