• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can Binghamton support 3 CHR's?

stevewillett said:
If Binghamton were a ppm market the non-profit station would probably show up. In DC, NPR station WAMU just showed up at #1 in the market this week.
WAMU is a heritage NPR station that has served DC with a diverse format (primarily news/talk) for years. It's long been a highly rated station. And although the "just showed up" reference is understood in context, WAMU has been working the room for years. It didn't just burst into that party like Richard Simmons and scream, "OK everybody, I'm herrrrre!" Well programmed non-coms don't take a back seat to commercial stations. And yes, there's a huge difference between the DC market and Binghamton. But still...

d21ofnj said:
Take a page out of this!

http://tunein.com/radio/1-Power-Hitz-Hip-Hop-s49800/

Sorry, but no need to have 2 of the same format, when a different format can be tried out.

I'm all about catering to a younger demo, but even I don't think that would fly in bingo... that didn't fly in 'Cuse, it doesn't exist in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, Kingston, Utica, and it's a struggling 15th in Albany... no way you could make it fiscally viable in Bingo!

A rhythmic leaning CHR may be, just because right now successful rhythmic leaning stations are again focused on dance leaning tracks and not hip hop, but should it go street again, the format would die a quick death in Binghamton from the fear mongering of stereotypes, and not because no one is listening.

In reference to "Just showed up", I'm talking about how under the old system of Arbitron diaries the NPR stations were not rated. Now they are with ppm's. So to the average "joe" who was seeing the ratings in the newspaper it's quite a difference. How different would Binghamton's ratings be if it were to become a ppm market?

Okay, fine. So the hip-hop format is not going anywhere. But I'm still gonna get it out there for the residents who are fans of the format. I am surprised about Jamz 96.3 in Albany doing low, but it's true and I admit it, hip hop is taking a turn down everywhere. I gave Star another sample, and slowly I'm getting to enjoy it. As for Wild, they're still late with new music, they still have the same VO's that were made 5 years ago, if they still want Dr. Dave, update the liners at least or get someone else. Let's see how this works out now that Wild is no longer the solo CHR.

Full disclosure. I'm outta the demo. Binghamton reminds me of a "smaller Buffalo." Aging population, but a good number of young people at colleges and universities. The Buffalo market has two CHRs, Entercom's heritage Kiss 98.5 and Z-101 from Ft. Erie, Canada. Both stations have decent signals over the Metro. Kiss 98.5 wins. Large. One of the Bingo CHR/Hot AC stations is going to come up short in about two years (maybe less.) There'll be a weeding out phase. I'd say localism can help win this war on the air, but the real CHR Battle of Binghamton will be fought on the streets in promotions and sales. The station that wins the streets, wins the ratings. Enjoy the "CHR war" and have a good time talking about it here. This fracas, if nothing else, has increased Bingo board Cume and TSR/TSP (Time Spent Reading/Time Spent Posting.)

While STAR may have the "star" power of major-market DJs and iheart-radio has cornered the market in smartphone listening, WILD can hit the streets. They can do the local phoners. Put the kids on-the-air at night to show-off for their friends and they can brag that they were on the radio. Back in the day CHR was won in mornings and at night. As a former night jock, I used to have a cast of characters who would call and I'd use them in phone bits. People would talk about them and they'd be mini-celebrities. You can do the same with facebook and twitter. STAR can talk about pop culture and things that affect their demo. WILD can relate it with "Binghamton High School wants to ban such and such. What do you think?" "Joe Plumber of Endicott's girlfriend said he has to do such and such...should he dump her?" If anyone thinks this doesn't work anymore, I have heard a local radio station start doing it and not only have their ratings gone up but people are actually buzzing about a terrestrial radio station! Go figure! Make it compelling radio and people will listen.

Funny story, when I moved to the Cap Region in 1996, I was listening to a morning FM show and heard Todd Pettengil...I wanted to meet him. So I went to this station and asked for him, it was 10:05 am. The receptionist thought I was nuts. LOL. She says he's in NYC. She explained to me why he wasn't there...Ahhh...I had no clue then.
[/quote]

Of course, if you'd gone to WFLY 10 years earlier, you would have seen Todd there in the flesh -- upstate boy, he started his career in his hometown of Amsterdam and then Albany before going to Philadelphia and then WPLJ in New York.

AlexBrowne said:
Funny story, when I moved to the Cap Region in 1996, I was listening to a morning FM show and heard Todd Pettengil...I wanted to meet him. So I went to this station and asked for him, it was 10:05 am. The receptionist thought I was nuts. LOL. She says he's in NYC. She explained to me why he wasn't there...Ahhh...I had no clue then.

Of course, if you'd gone to WFLY 10 years earlier, you would have seen Todd there in the flesh -- Upstate boy, he started his career in his hometown of Amsterdam and then Albany before going to Philadelphia and then WPLJ in New York.

You would think that with new ownership Townsquare would put on a live night show to go after the teens and thus grow a CHR the way it usually is grown..starting with the teens and then the young adults. And being a company very much into digital gives WILD a legit shot if it follows through.

they are a fund management group... we are market what 6000???... would the roi be good enough to support that? Isn't that what it all boils down to these days?.... just sayin..

The total ratings cume in the evening show is so much smaller that other dayparts, though. Some stations have extended the aft drive to 8P or 9p to accomplish this (9p request hour...record callers from 7P to 8:30P).

I remember the days of STAR 105.7 back in the 90s. I think at one point Louie G. had a 90 share with teens. I think the other 10 share went to the Hawk!

stevewillett said:
I remember the days of STAR 105.7 back in the 90s. I think at one point Louie G. had a 90 share with teens. I think the other 10 share went to the Hawk!

It was impressive what you all did with STAR back in the mid 90's turning "More Variety 105.7" from a sleepy, satellite-delivered AC station to the #1 station in the market. Great promotions, great programming... great radio.

Brian

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom