• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can B-96 be saved

Not subject to 2/2/2?
There was no 2/2/2 there in 1963... or ever. Televisa had the three main TV channels in Mexico City and similar clusters in all the major markets. The largest local radio groups there had 7, 5 and 4 AM stations, and a number of others had two or three.

There are a number of heritage CHR’s out there in the dumps like ‘BBM-FM. Their owners seem to be sticking with the format and hoping for the tide to turn, but I feel there’s a longer term shift happening as David mentioned where older music becomes a mainstay on the format to capture a wider audience.

What I’ll be interested to see is if both CHR’s in 2 CHR markets like Chicago will make it long term. Audacy has a number of larger market stations that are performing poorly but they obviously still bill well or serve as part of a cluster or national strategy as they’re still chugging along in their markets’ ratings basements (just look at KROQ, KRBQ, WXBK, etc). Or perhaps there’s nothing else viable that can be done with them at the time.
There really isn't anything viable to flip B96 to. All of the viable formats are being used up by other stations. They basically have to stay the course and hope it gets better. It helps that Audacy has some winners in the market they can package B96 with like 93XRT.

There really isn't anything viable to flip B96 to. All of the viable formats are being used up by other stations. They basically have to stay the course and hope it gets better. It helps that Audacy has some winners in the market they can package B96 with like 93XRT.
That’s the same problem I see with stations like KROQ, WXBK, and KRBQ. Format flips are expensive, and the viable formats are already being covered. Good news for the remaining fans of the station.

Does having the “wall of women” sales mindset actually hurt CHR stations that also have Hot ACs in the same cluster?
A "sales mindset" is what every owner has. The objective is to create the greatest revenue from the station or stations they own. Since the three CHR-HotC-AC stations iHeart has in LA fit together for many female targeted buys, they generate more sales than having just one or two of those formats.
Look at Los Angeles: iHeart has an AC, Hot AC, and CHR, and they're ranked 1, 5, and 6 in the 6+

They're 1,2,3 in 18-34. They're Top 5 in 25-54. So no, I don't see how they're hurt.
And no matter which station of the three is leading, the sum of the three is very strong and consistent. So it does not matter if KISS is down a bit during a period of time because usually one or both of the others will be up. The big "plus" is that iHeart has a "must buy" set of stations that every women-targeted buy must include.

Understand the business sense isn't this simple, but I wished they could take B96, really gear it for the younger demos, with reduced commercials, maybe 6 minutes an hour. Plus let the jocks entertain, not just be a 'Spotify replacement.'

To see if the youth would come back to radio.

I know the internet has broken more than it's made better and today youth only want, what they want, when they want, and don't want to pay for it. But broadcasting has been broken since Wall Street bought up most of the stations and think radio is just like Mc Donald's, run it the same way, the cheapest way in every market.
I agree_ make a station about broadcasting... by the way of having a true request hour *EVEN breaking format*
and having a untrained professional on the air _ that just shoots the sh*t but is mindful you cat actually say sh*t.

I often thought ONE station does this and the loss of rep within the industry is quickly overshadowed by the REAL factor. it might be the nearly pre determined ratings number 1, however kids in the high school halls, driving their cars, etc are aware that b96 isn't dad's b96 is more b-Real 96.. expanded playlist doesn't play as non radio adults will say the same 10 songs; when the radio pros know it's actually the same twenty songs,
I'm with you

WSHE just rebranded to the same music type...90s and 2ks. B96 has definitely gotten back to the gold-music standard but will it last? Should B96 go Adult Hits or Mainstream AC to compete with LITE-FM head-on? Any thoughts?

No. It is amazing all the speculation on this station's performance based on worthless 6+ ratings. IIRC according to David (who has access to billings info) this station is a success revenue wise. I would much rather have higher income than a higher 6+ and less revenue. It is definitely aimed at the female demographics.

WSHE just rebranded to the same music type...90s and 2ks. B96 has definitely gotten back to the gold-music standard but will it last? Should B96 go Adult Hits or Mainstream AC to compete with LITE-FM head-on? Any thoughts?
The clear answer for B96? Alternative Polka.

Back
Top Bottom