• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can Anyone See THIS Happening - KXKL To 92.5?

Hi everyone:

Yesterday, I just had a WILD thought.

As we all know, Southern Colorado lost its oldies outlet on 92.9 a few months ago. CBS owns 92.5. WHAT IF CBS were to put up a network of on-channel boosters stretching all the way down to Cheyenne Mountain and take KXKL and move it to 92.5.

What's the advantage of doing this you say?

KXKL would probably be the first station next to KOA of course (And the first FM station) to not only reach into Denver, Boulder and parts of Northern Colorado, but also Colorado Springs, Pueblo and parts of Southern Colorado as well.

And Southern Colorado would have an oldies station again.

What would go on 105.1? Can anyone say FM Talk (ala WJFK or WNYW)?

Thoughts anyone?

Cheers :D

Not in the way you described it.

It's been rumored that CBS has been considering a frequency swap between KWLI (92.5) and KXKL. Conventional CBS wisdom (if there is such a thing) is the Wolf would get better ratings with 105.1's market-wide signal. Since "oldies" is considered to be less attractive (by hip, young ad buyers), it wouldn't matter as much to put Kool on the weaker 92.5 signal.

Hi everyone:
noknownuser said:
Not in the way you described it.

It's been rumored that CBS has been considering a frequency swap between KWLI (92.5) and KXKL. Conventional CBS wisdom (if there is such a thing) is the Wolf would get better ratings with 105.1's market-wide signal. Since "oldies" is considered to be less attractive (by hip, young ad buyers), it wouldn't matter as much to put Kool on the weaker 92.5 signal.
Compared to 105.1, 92.5 is probably a little weaker, but the problems with KWLI have nothing to do with the station's signal (And we both it).

If CBS were to move KXKL to 92.5, they'd most likely kill the Country format in lieu of an FM Talker on 105.1 that'd actually be more like 105.3 in DFW (If not Rock 105.3 in San Diego, which I don't believe they own) than WJFK in DC or WNYW in NYC as indicated above.

Just my opinion though :D

I can see FM Talk happening!

I think you've got an excellent point with FM Talk. It's one of the few format other than Rock and Sports attractive to 18-49 males, one of the most elusive demos.

CBS could run it cheap with a nearly all-syndicated line-up:

• Adam Carolla or Mancow - AM Drive
  • O&A - Middays
  • Tom Leykis - PM Drive
  • local host - Nights
  • Take "Loveline" from KBPI for late nights
  • "Colon Cleanse" infomercials could run overnights (just like a few other CBS stations) :)

All kidding aside, this station would have a Rock & Roll Attitude without the music! KBPI, KRFX, KBPI, KTCL, KQMT, and KBCO would ALL be impacted!

(BTW, the call letters for CBS' "Free FM" talk station in NY is WFNY)

Pat Cook said:
As we all know, Southern Colorado lost its oldies outlet on 92.9 a few months ago. CBS owns 92.5. WHAT IF CBS were to put up a network of on-channel boosters stretching all the way down to Cheyenne Mountain and take KXKL and move it to 92.5.

Not possible. It's against the law. On-channel boosters cannot stretch all the way down to Cheyenne Mountain. They are only permitted inside the primary station's citygrade signal contour. 92.5 does not citygrade down to Cheyenne Mountain; it doesn't even citygrade Castle Rock.

What would go on 105.1? Can anyone say FM Talk (ala WJFK or WNYW)?
Thoughts anyone?

CBS has not launched a single Free FM in almost a year. There's a reason for that. While it has shown some recent gains in some markets, Free FM, to date, has been a complete and total failure. With the exception of Phoenix and possibly San Francisco, not a single Free FM has more than 70% of the audience it had under its old format. Most Free FM's have half to 60% of their old format's audience, but New York has 1/3. KIFR in San Francisco was a non-commercial religious station prior to Free FM, and it's still the lowest rated CBS owned FM in the market, all of which rank below a 1.5 share. I can't imagine CBS launching another Free FM unless it works the kinks out of the format.

Re: I can see FM Talk happening!

Hi everyone:
noknownuser said:
I think you've got an excellent point with FM Talk. It's one of the few format other than Rock and Sports attractive to 18-49 males, one of the most elusive demos.

CBS could run it cheap with a nearly all-syndicated line-up:

Adam Carolla or Mancow - AM Drive
They'd better go local in the AM Drive. For what should be obvious reasons, a nationally syndicated AM Drive show simply wouldn't make sense.
local host - Nights
Is there any reason why they couldn't go national at night? I ask this because doing so would make themselves available to sports broadcasts (such as Colorado Mammoth Lacrosse) if/as needed without impacting the audience a local talk show would create.
Take "Loveline" from KBPI for late nights
Why do that when they could run their own show.
"Colon Cleanse" infomercials could run overnights (just like a few other CBS stations) :)
What the hell is this?
All kidding aside, this station would have a Rock & Roll Attitude without the music! KBPI, KRFX, KBPI, KTCL, KQMT, and KBCO would ALL be impacted!
True.
(BTW, the call letters for CBS' "Free FM" talk station in NY is WFNY)
102.7 in NY is WFNY??

Boy, my memory is REALLY slipping....

WNYW is fox channel 5 in nyc. Formerly WNEW-TV but they had to change the call letters when metromedia sold 5 to fox/

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom