• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Can AM stations multicast?

> This may be a dumb question, but I don't know.
>
NO AM multicast feature, so the AM -HD is about worthless. They should have focused on getting a better DSP AM tuner for analog than to horse with artifacty AM-HD.

>

That is not a dumb question.

Theoretically they can, but the audio streams would be of such a low quality it would not be an improvement. If AM goes full digital then they could multicast.

> >
> NO AM multicast feature, so the AM -HD is about worthless.
> They should have focused on getting a better DSP AM tuner
> for analog than to horse with artifacty AM-HD.
>

I believe AM stations will have a lot more digital bandwidth after this hybrid fad passes over.

Two good questions might be:

How much digital bandwidth do AM stations have in the hybrid mode and
How much in the full digital mode?
<P ID="signature">______________
Proud 2 B a pioneering satellite radio subs¢riber
Ai4i is always on the trailing edge of technology
_______________</P><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by ai4i on 02/10/06 12:49 PM.</FONT></P>

From my understanding, no. At present, FM stations use the SCA channels of their signal to multicast. The AM band does not have SCA capabilities. All the discussions and articles I have read about HD do not say there will be multicast options for the AM band.

The SCA channels are still available analog just as before, IBOC digital carriers are either side of channel in the neighbors channel. Thats why the interference potential

> > This may be a dumb question, but I don't know.
>
> From my understanding, no. At present, FM stations use the
> SCA channels of their signal to multicast. The AM band does
> not have SCA capabilities. All the discussions and articles
> I have read about HD do not say there will be multicast
> options for the AM band.
>

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom