• Get involved.
    We want your input!
    Apply for Membership and join the conversations about everything related to broadcasting.

After we receive your registration, a moderator will review it. After your registration is approved, you will be permitted to post.
    If you use a disposable or false email address, your registration will be rejected.

After your membership is approved, please take a minute to tell us a little bit about yourself.
    https://www.radiodiscussions.com/forums/introduce-yourself.1088/

Thanks in advance and have fun!
    RadioDiscussions Administrators

Call Letters

Yes, it "dos"! You just get an error message instead of the content you were expecting.

[size=8pt]Well, that's what *I* get, at least.....

Has there ever been a station with the call letters WTF?

And if so, how would the FCC have reacted years later when texting language
gave them a whole new (and rather crude) meaning?

Has that ever happened before, a station which chose innocuous call letters,
but for some other reason they later took on an unsavory meaning and had to be dropped?

LynnW said:
Is there a list of calls that are not permitted? I doubt that anyone would use something like KRAP, or worse, but you never know.

Funny, when I owned www.houstonradiosucks.com back in 2004, I used to call 104 KRBE, 104 KRAP. and redid the logo. "All the crap, all the time KRAP" I wonder if there is a station that uses those calls.

FreddyE1977 said:
Has there ever been a station with the call letters WTF?

And if so, how would the FCC have reacted years later when texting language
gave them a whole new (and rather crude) meaning?

Has that ever happened before, a station which chose innocuous call letters,
but for some other reason they later took on an unsavory meaning and had to be dropped?

Like with KAKI on AM 550 San Antonio the owners changed it back because I meant "baby feces" in Spanish while it was meant to be a tribute to the military as the military whore khakis.

willdav713 said:
LynnW said:
Is there a list of calls that are not permitted? I doubt that anyone would use something like KRAP, or worse, but you never know.

Funny, when I owned www.houstonradiosucks.com back in 2004, I used to call 104 KRBE, 104 KRAP. and redid the logo. "All the crap, all the time KRAP" I wonder if there is a station that uses those calls.

The calls KRAP do not appear in the FCC's call_sign_history table, i.e. it appears they haven't been used by a broadcast station since the summer of 1978 if not longer.

It would appear KRAP was last used as the callsign of an oil drilling platform, the "ROWAN TEXAS". In 2006 it was towed to a point in the Arabian Sea off the west coast of Mumbai, India, which would explain why KRAP was deleted from the FCC's records six years ago...

w9wi said:
willdav713 said:
LynnW said:

The calls KRAP do not appear in the FCC's call_sign_history table, i.e. it appears they haven't been used by a broadcast station since the summer of 1978 if not longer.

It would appear KRAP was last used as the callsign of an oil drilling platform, the "ROWAN TEXAS". In 2006 it was towed to a point in the Arabian Sea off the west coast of Mumbai, India, which would explain why KRAP was deleted from the FCC's records six years ago...

Could someone assign those calls to a radio station in the U.S.?

No.

When I made my previous post, I'd forgotten that the KRAP calls may have been reassigned to a federal government agency. Those aren't regulated by the FCC & stations they authorize won't show up in either the broadcasting or Wireless Telecommunications databases.

The FCC's callsign availability search on http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/callsign/query.hts does however search these agencies. And it shows the calls KRAP now belong to the Coast Guard.

It does list a USCG contact, if one wanted them to relinquish the calls for assignment to your broadcast station. It's not at all unprecedented for them to do so, and in this case I'd bet they'd be happy to:) !

w9wi said:
No.

When I made my previous post, I'd forgotten that the KRAP calls may have been reassigned to a federal government agency. Those aren't regulated by the FCC & stations they authorize won't show up in either the broadcasting or Wireless Telecommunications databases.

The FCC's callsign availability search on http://licensing.fcc.gov/cgi-bin/ws.exe/prod/callsign/query.hts does however search these agencies. And it shows the calls KRAP now belong to the Coast Guard.

It does list a USCG contact, if one wanted them to relinquish the calls for assignment to your broadcast station. It's not at all unprecedented for them to do so, and in this case I'd bet they'd be happy to:) !

Of course, depending on the outcome of the election. :D :) ;)

^Explain what you meant when you said, "Depending on the outcome of the election".

Mario-500 said:
^Explain what you meant when you said, "Depending on the outcome of the election".

Whoever gets elected gets to appoint the Commissioner of the FCC, and can actually modify it's rules and regulations. I thought you would know that already, as the FCC is appointed by Congress.

Wasn't the FCC chairman appointed by Congress and President Obama?

willdav713 said:
Mario-500 said:

Whoever gets elected gets to appoint the Commissioner of the FCC, and can actually modify it's rules and regulations. I thought you would know that already, as the FCC is appointed by Congress.

I was all ready aware how commissioners of the FCC are chosen. You could have mentioned the possible appointment of a new commissioner with your previous message to make it clear.

willdav713 said:
Mario-500 said:

The membership of the FCC has no effect on whether the Coast Guard is willing to release a callsign.

Which doesn't mean the election has no bearing on the decision.. as it's under DHS and eventually, under Executive Branch control.

But should Mitt Romney win the election, his administration isn't going to order the FBI to renumber their radio channels, or for the file clerks in the Agriculture Department to move one office to the west. Some decisions in government are *not* political...

w9wi said:
willdav713 said:
Mario-500 said:

The membership of the FCC has no effect on whether the Coast Guard is willing to release a callsign.

Which doesn't mean the election has no bearing on the decision.. as it's under DHS and eventually, under Executive Branch control.

But should Mitt Romney win the election, his administration isn't going to order the FBI to renumber their radio channels, or for the file clerks in the Agriculture Department to move one office to the west. Some decisions in government are *not* political...

If it is part of a cost cutting measure, then yes. Remember we are running a deficit right now, and cutting spending is the name of the game. Oh and doesn't Bain Capital own quite a few radio stations?

I was reading a report that said if Mitt Romney won the election he would have to divest a lot of his assets, in that same article it listed John Kerry as having shares in Bain Capital. Even Barack Obama had to divest his in plain vanilla stocks.

[The membership of the FCC has no effect on whether the Coast Guard is willing to release a callsign.

[/quote]
If I recall, the coast guard has it's radio affairs under the NTIA, whcih is directly under the White house.
Bill

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.
Back
Top Bottom